Astrea Starfish... not so innocent

CoralBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to post this thread because yesterday I noticed a large white spot about 2mmx2mm on my Monti Setosa Frag which is really small, half inch at the most. It was finally growing (I just put new lights in) and looking deep neon orange red. I had no idea where the spot came from till this morning. I woke up before lights were on to check out my little fraglet and I could find it... Because it was completely COVERED by an astrea!!!! it was devouring my Setosa!!! I took him off and there is barely any flesh :( They are also all over my Echinpora which has been struggling for some time. Anyone have a similar experience? I have read that they are harmless but I have also read some species could eat coral. I dont know I have seen them in tanks for the past 5 years and never heard of them eating corals alive!!!

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who said they were innocent? I always discard those things when I see them...

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are also all over my Echinpora which has been struggling for some time.
They will most definitely go after any coral in bad shape or going downhill, as will many hermits and snails.

I've personally never had an issue with them, but the term "Astrea Starfish" is thrown at so many different species it wouldn't necessarily surprise me if certain ones ate/irritated coral.

OP
OP
CoralBandit

CoralBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I understand them going on my echino but not my setosa it was doing great.... weird. I will be on the hunt just got ~20+ little F'ers

peel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had them eat through the inside of a mushroom. They were the blue-ish colored ones.

Corigan

Reef-A-Holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I grab the blueish colored ones out of the tank everytime I see them. They mess with my zoas. Perfectly healthy colonies. They munch of em and the heads close up and look half eaten. They open back up and then look back to normal in a week or two, but it's annoying waking up and seeing a few big colonies half closed. I have thought about getting a harlequin but It wouldn't sustain as my starfish population is rather small.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was a thread on another forum awhile ago about the different seastars that are thrown into this group and how some of them appear to eat different types of corals. Some SPS, some Zoas, etc. I know that Cranberry over on SWF has been trying to get her hands on some of the "coral eating ones for awhile." If you're a member over there, you may want to get ahold of her and see if she would be interested in any of the ones you have.

ddiver

Fragging Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't "astrea " snails?

I believe what you are talking about are called asterina starfish...

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been watching them closely in my tanks and so far they have only ever gone after dying/dead tissue. Kind of like a maggot on rotting vs healthy flesh. YUM! lol. I will keep a closer eye them although removal of all of them in my system would be VERY difficult. I have been warned in the past though.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 178 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back