Pros and cons of Bare bottom/sand bed?

BigFeesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a hard time deciding on BB or sb for my new 75 gallon. So I would like to hear your good and bad experiences and opinions.

Thanks

snobored

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare bottom are great for higher flow rates and helping to keep detritus in suspension, or at least make it easier to siphon out. For these reasons my azoox tank is BB and requires frequnt siphoning due to the heavy amount of feeding,
Besides that I don't much like the look of them and all other tanks have sand, besides the benefit of incresed buffering and surface area for biological filtration, I like the brighter look it gives a tank, as well as the extra habitat it provides for fish like gobies, pistol shrimp and wrasse.
One thing to keep in mind, especially if you've ever been diving on a reef, is that many corals occur 10-15 vertical feet away from the sand bed.. But many corals also do very well when placed in the sand, like zoas and palys, or as their sometimes called, seamats

B

Boboli

View Badges
Sand a mess goes everywhere
Glass looks like glass
Sand carries beneficial bacteria.
Glass grows algie
Sand looks natural
Glass looks like glass
Sand is great for pistol shrimp and Some snails
Glass. Is hard to set and balance rock on

OP
OP
B

BigFeesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! Yes it but you can put something down like starboard or white acrylic. I've been thinking about doing one of the products and then just a small layer so I can have the bilogical filtration.

I haven't seen your guys tanks and I'm sure they're awesome but pros like soccerbag, troylee, Rev, swannyson and many others please share your experiences!

Thanks !

B

Boboli

View Badges
Sounds like you already know what you want so just go for it.
It will be sweet either way.

DeathWish302

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is your only tank, I would keep the sand. In my BB sps 58gal, I LOVE the ability to run a MJ1200 maxi-mod, a Tunze 6105, Koralia 4 and a Vortech MP40W. Between these pumps I estimate I'm about at 100X turnover with the 600gph from the return pump and the eductors on those lines. The sps love the random, reef crest like flow and none of the annoying sand storms to deal with. I didn't like the look of glass on the BB at first, but after some coraline algae and some zoas I placed there took hold it looks more natural. Also, I lined the bottom with white paper, so it is blinding if you look from the top down. I was not a believer, but now an advocate for BB in the right setup. The major downfall is you will not have as much pod and worm life with BB, so this is a drawback IMO.

My mangrove/caulerpa lagoon & BTA tanks are slower flow so load up the sand.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I've never run a barebottom tank other than a frag tank that was only up for a few months. Between my love for wrasses and the natural look of sand, I just can't give it up. The BB frag tank was very convenient for siphoning detritus out of the tank, and the bacterial benefits of a shallow sandbed are open for debate, so it's more of a matter of aesthetics IMO.

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you interested in a sand bed for the looks only or are you worried about missing some biological filtration? Maybe you should consider a remote DSB if you're worried about missing the pros of a sand bed. The pros and cons have been pretty much covered.

OP
OP
B

BigFeesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because of the filtration both look good to me.

Filtration or less detrinus/nutrient build up? Tough choice

geaux xman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i hate sand getting dirty and worrying about sandstorms just b/c i turned my mp60 up a notch. bb is the way to go for me. couldnt pay me to fill my tank up with sand.

florida reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try this then. Just set it up as BB, then if you hate it add sand. It will be a bit messy but at least you'll know what you want.

geaux xman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my blueline angel doesnt seem to mind eating off a BB. not a single pellet doesnt get eaten by the BL or one of his buddies.

[video=youtube;krcy-FFU17o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krcy-FFU17o[/video]

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just converted my bb over to sand and I practically needed sunglasses to look at my tank. It's amazing how much light reflects up from the sand, which is nice because it helps to brighten-up the undersides of some of my larger coral colonies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back