Anyone know what this creature is?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, see the white thing at the bottom of this piece of live rock? Know what it is and is it okay? There are 2 aptasia here too... they'll be gone in the morning.
Photo0705.jpg

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you :) I was thinking it might be but I never saw one with what appears to be a mouth. I also have some pink and purple similar to this on other rocks but with little or no mouths. Kinda slimy feeling too.

CoralReefDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What appears to be a mouth is called the osculum. It allows water to flow out from within the sponge, thereby allowing more water to be drawn in and filtered thru the various pores/cells

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What appears to be a mouth is called the osculum. It allows water to flow out from within the sponge, thereby allowing more water to be drawn in and filtered thru the various pores/cells

Thank you :) It is quite interesting to see in my tank. I purchased a beautiful piece of live rock that had many different sponges and plant life on it over a year ago. Then my purple pincushion sea urchin devoured it. I'm guessing these came from that rock....

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back