What salt are you using? (PLUS Recent Salt Study)

What brand of salt are you using? 2/14/08

• Instant Ocean

Votes: 203 20.2%
  • Reef Crystals

Votes: 320 31.9%
  • Coralife

Votes: 41 4.1%
  • Kent

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Red Sea Coral Pro

Votes: 102 10.2%
  • Crystal Sea Marine Mix

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Crystal Sea Bioassay

Votes: 3 0.3%
  • Marine Environment

Votes: 8 0.8%
  • Tropic Marine

Votes: 40 4.0%
  • Tropic Marine Pro Reef

Votes: 85 8.5%
  • Oceanic

Votes: 48 4.8%
  • Seachem Marine

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Seachem Reef

Votes: 71 7.1%
  • MIX OF SALT BRANDS

Votes: 24 2.4%
  • Straight Ocean Water

Votes: 27 2.7%

• Total voters

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am moving from read sea to a free bag of tunze salt I got.... I got to say the two small buckets of red sea salt always had brown residue on the bottom of the bucket if I let it settle a few days. I would love to know what it is.. I heard since it is dried natural sea salt it is just impurites for the ocean and drying proccess... Kind of scares me a little if this is true. But my results were pretty positive. I do have one more small bucket to use up but I really want to test out the new tunze salt.

Dave

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about going back to Reef Crystals since there is only one place that carries the Red Sea Pro and they have had a hard time it seems getting it back in....

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys ever hear of or use "Get Tanked 2 part Organic Sea Salt"?

I have been using it for a little while now, and it it awesome. The guy that makes it is semi-local, and a lot of people around here have been switching, and liking what they see from using it

saltwaternewb

Team Nikon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set my tank up in March and started it with SeaChem Reef but since I dont have any live stock yet it is hard to make a judgment. I will stay with the SeaChem for now until I get some corals in the tank and see how everything does.

ReefArtist

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef crystals and feel it's a good price at this point. To keep my parameters in check for my "change water" I always check the levels and adjust accordingly. A normal adjustment of course is the calcium. I’m not convinced that the Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals are not one in the same these days – different name same contents more money. I’ve found my calcium as low as 300 before (the complete bucket) but I still haven’t switched to another type. If I would switch it would be with Tropic Marin’s Pro Reef. I’ve calculated it out and it ends up being only about 10 bucks more per large container (after adding all the other chemicals to get RCrystals in check), but only when its on sale. So unless the manufacturer of Reef Crystals gets their act together I might switch. I must add that I’ve used Reef Crystals for years without problems but for the last 6 months + their salt has gone downhill – MHO.

rudylbj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully you don't get the brown algae crap I got when I used Oceanic.....I liked the high calcium but the really low alk was a pain too....

I had the same problem with Oceanic--after a week of using it I had brown diatoms on everything and it took me a couple of months of new salt mix and water changes to get rid of it, what is up with that? I am now using natural saltwater and so far everything is doing great, never seen better growth and polyp extension and my corals never close up when doing water changes.

tbaquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my business I use Reef Crystals. For personal tanks I actually am trying the Red Sea Pro stuff.

mofrags

stupid and happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using reef crystals, but no more the last batch only had a calcium level of 200 ppm. the product went to crap. looking for something new.

ofblong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank up with what little IO I had left in a bucket I had from 2 years ago (yes it was still sand like and not hard). But I just bought a bucket of coralife based on a thread I started on MR's.

R34dawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the bucket of Coralife because the amount of mg. seems to be the hardest for me to maintain, plus it comes with a really descent shirt....lol

CoralGeeks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always used Coralife salt, switched IO for a little cause it was all that was available in a pinch, soon after red slime appeared. Switched back to coralife, it went away. Bought more IO from fosters n smith cause it was cheap, low and behold, red slime showed up again, switched back, and it went away. I'll stick to Coralife from now on, lol.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 157 75.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 32 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back