New form of growth?

mach1ray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gone crazy looking on line for anything similar to what I have growing in my tank and nothing resembles this. Not knowing the name of this life matter makes it that much harder to find let alone treat against it. I took it to my LPS who said he never saw such a thing as it leaves a skeletal behind when I scrubbed it off the rock. At first he thoguht is was brown hair algae until he saw it.

Any one here ever see this? If so, any idea how to get rid of it? Tired of sun bleaching my rocks to get rid of it. Any help is appreciated

SAM_0338.jpg
SAM_0336.jpg
SAM_0342.jpg
SAM_0341.jpg
SAM_0339.jpg

OP
OP
mach1ray

mach1ray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff grows on everything, even the shells of my crabs and snails.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It leaves a skeleton? Can you get a clearer picture? Top pic looks like Aiptasia and the lower pics look like algae but it's not real clear to me.

OP
OP
mach1ray

mach1ray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlike brown hair algae, you cant simply brush this stuff off. When you scrub it off it leave a skeleton behind.

OP
OP
mach1ray

mach1ray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rock outside and will take pics of the remaining skeleton.

steamer51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many macro algaes are calcerous which may leave a skeleton behind. The closest to your pic I could find was Pencil Cap Algae, (Penicillus capitatus). I have some that came in with some live rock rubble but it seems to be growing right out of the rock, there is no skeleton that I can see. Hard to see in the pics but if it has small polyps it looks like "Corky Finger Gorgonian". I don't know if they have a skeleton and I doubt they would grow so well to become a pest.

OP
OP
mach1ray

mach1ray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone else suggested hydroids am recommended I smother it small sections at a time with calcium
is there a better way without killing off my live stock?

OP
OP
mach1ray

mach1ray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I googled hydroid images and this is not what I have. My infestation is like hair. Someone please chime in with a remedy that wont kill off my zoas and mushrooms sharing the rocks.

dedubya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try dipping it in 100% peroxide always works for me and it wont kill your corals 30 seconds and remove it

OP
OP
mach1ray

mach1ray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip the entire rock? As for the snails and crabs, should I get rid of them to stop the spreading or treat them too?

OP
OP
mach1ray

mach1ray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I'm back. Did as suggested and dipped a few pieces in pure peroxide. Well it did kill off some of the stuff and did not hurt the coral. Problem is it did not kill off the hairy stuff off the rocks. It actually looks like it ****** it off. I'm at a loss for direction. Don't know what to do. Pics below were taken with the light off. I'e also had the lights on only 1 hr a day for the last 5 days and I dont notice a difference there either.

SAM_0343.jpg
SAM_0346.jpg
SAM_0349.jpg
SAM_0350.jpg

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First we need to identify the species and it seems like no one can yet (it certainly looks like algae to me tho). Have you tried emailing wetwebmedia for an ID and possible resolution? They would be the first resource after the forums where I would ask for help.

Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I think you want to dilute the H2O2 with RO water and dip for longer than 30 secs to try and remove algaes. At least that is how the process is lined out in the zoa forum.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back