Change to Calcium Reactor from Two Part Dosing

skidrow52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing two part dosing in my tank, I buy them from BRS and ship them to Saudi Arabia paying 3 times the actual cost, my dose has reached to 200ml per day of each CA and Alk, i have finally started thinking to change to a CA reactor, i have a Korallin S-1502 which i will convert into a Calcium reactor, my worry is of low PH as well as if this unit can keep up with my tank demand, the actualy water volume in my tank would be around 130g. I need advice on Korallin's C-1502 reactor.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends if he has good local access to the ingredients. I can't find suitable material for DIY magnesium even in a large metro area of the US, so we can't assume.

To the OP: It's ridiculous to ship a 5-gallon bucket even within the US, so I can imagine you're paying a lot!

Do you know if there's calcium chloride and/or lime (calcium oxide) mining anywhere in your region - or even better, supplied locally? Food processors and other industries consume a lot of both chemicals so you may have to dig for an unusual (industrial) source, but hopefully you'll find something.

Then the question is about purity - what are the common contaminents? The article about is predicated on the US supply which has a known profile which is reef compatible.

-Matt

-Matt

Last edited:
OP
OP
skidrow52

skidrow52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Matt for the detailed reply and sorry for responding so late, well here everything is available but it's not easy to find chemicals I work in a hotel and I asked my chef to ask his suppliers if one can get me calcium chloride but no one could, industrial grade calcium chlorite sacks I've seen and a friend bought it too to try it's granular form but he hasn't tried and I don't want to risk using anything else , medial suppliers sell it very expensive more than I will buy from BRS and ship it here . Well I've made my reactor ready now and I'm going to kick start it on Sunday .

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The food industry people might call calcium chloride "Brining Salt".

Good luck and let us know how things proceed!

-Matt

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 119 75.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back