How long do you...?

Scribe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you let your saltwater sit after making it and before a water change? I have always mixed and changed water on the same day. I just saw something about how you should let it sit for 3 days or so after mixing. Wondering if this is why I have always had a problem with acros after a week or so.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done changes after about 3 hrs but usually do it the next day. Some people say it's ok after an hour as long as you've got a good powerhead mixing the water good.

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you let your saltwater sit after making it and before a water change? I have always mixed and changed water on the same day. I just saw something about how you should let it sit for 3 days or so after mixing. Wondering if this is why I have always had a problem with acros after a week or so.

I mix my salt in the garage which is fairly hot. I then put the water in jugs and move them into my house for overnight to get down to room temps. I have noticed salinity changes with time so I make the necessary corrections the next day and complete the water change.

ws6kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time, people wait a day for the pH and such to match the tank. I wait about 20 minutes with ESV salt mix :p

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the water is to temp and ph is stable at DT params your ok to use it.

OP
OP
Scribe

Scribe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how I've been in this hobby for almost 20 years, and never heard about waiting a few days. I'll have to give it a shot and see if I notice a difference. I mix with a power head, the warm the water up to the temp of the tank, but never wait a few days. Interesting. Learn/hear new stuff all the time.

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to prepare my water and let it mix with the power head for a few days, not on purpose itjust always works out that way
I'll mix up the water and then take 4 days to get motivated to actually change the water in the tank lol, sometimes being lazy is helpful after all haha

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We mix and let it mix day or so with korelias pumps, then turn on heater 2nd day, do WC that next morning.

Also not for a reason, just as a habit.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let mine sit for quite a while. I fill up my bucket after doing a water change so it sits there for the entire time between water changes.
Red Sea recommends using Coral Pro it within 24hrs. It says it right on the label.

newlyreefd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to prepare my water and let it mix with the power head for a few days, not on purpose itjust always works out that way
I'll mix up the water and then take 4 days to get motivated to actually change the water in the tank lol, sometimes being lazy is helpful after all haha
+1 lol

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't speak for the distant past (pre-1990's), but these days, unless your source water is really cold (i.e. a garage in the winter in a northern state) or the RODI water hasn't had a chance to sit and reach CO2-equilibrium with the air, it should take about 5 minutes to be completely ready for use. Heat your water, if you must, prior to mixing the salt - not during.

Most of us make RODI in batches that sit at room temperature until needed. If that's you - 5 minutes. :D

To see it done in 5 minutes, I made some videos for my https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-aquarium-discussion/134613-water-change-day.html thread. It does help if you have a good mixing setup, so watch these two videos and do it one of these ways (which you may already be doing):

[video=youtube_share;BrjKlm0YkYE]http://youtu.be/BrjKlm0YkYE[/video]

[video=youtube_share;NaMi4PhgivQ]http://youtu.be/NaMi4PhgivQ[/video]

Hope this helps!

-Matt

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back