Can someone explain zeovit to me?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm interested in learning a bit more about this system (mostly because I've seen the pics of the reefs that are running them). Can someone explain to me (in layman's terms please...I'm not a chemist ;) ) how the system functions and what's required? Thanks!

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in learning a bit more about this system (mostly because I've seen the pics of the reefs that are running them). Can someone explain to me (in layman's terms please...I'm not a chemist ;) ) how the system functions and what's required? Thanks!

no!

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL.

My take is $5 worth of macro algae will do much the same thing.

But that's just me and my .02

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a well defined method of combining carbon dosing with bacterial additives in a low nutrient environment. It's not too much different than something like bio-pellets, IMO. It can be expensive, but the basics aren't that much.

archaic37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically you are stripping the nutrients from the tank and then adding in different amino acids, trace elements and microorganisms to play with colors and growth.

Basically youre playing god with what goes in and whats in your tank.

It is quite expensive and there are plenty of alternatives to achieve a low nutrient system that grows sps just as well and is just as colorful.

One system that comes to mind is the triton system. Basically a 20% by volume refugium and oversize skimmer will achieve the low nutrients and great colors.

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a nutshell, Zeovit is a method for attempting to keep a reef at consistent natural sea water levels. The first of the two big differences is that nutrient levels are kept lower than what's normally found in reef aquariums as nitrates and phosphates are kept just above zero. The second difference is that the typically elevated levels of alkalinity and calcium are adjusted down to natural levels in the ballpark of 7dKH/400ppm, respectively.

In order to keep nutrient levels this low in a closed system, a potentially over-aggressive method of water filtration is used that can overshoot the target and cause problems by virtue of removing nearly all nutrients or elements; many of which are required in small amounts for corals to survive and grow. Because these things are removed, they must be replaced on a regular basis which is where the Zeovit additives become necessary.

It's a fundamentally different way to maintain water quality. In classical reef aquariums, nutrient levels trend upward over time and reef keepers control them via water changes, filtration, etc. In a Zeovit system, nutrient levels trend toward zero and it's up to the reef keeper to add back to the system as needed and as desired.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My own ignorant take was that "ZEOvit" was a particular zeolite produced by an aquarium company in Germany, and, that zeolite in general was like a specialized GAC, adsorbing certain/specific compounds. Thus, I myself might agree that a good stand of macro algae might be a more "natural" way to reduce the things we want to reduce. The part about ZEO-bacteria and ZEO bacteria food baffle me. If one just Googles "ZEOvit" and then looks at the "shopping" page, that might explain it. LOL

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zeovit is actually the brand name of Korallin Zucht's zeolite product. It's what I use, though a variety of companies have their own zeolite products. A zeovit reactor uses naturally occurring zeolites (pebble and stone like minerals) in a reactor, as both a filtration media that can absorb nutrients, but mainly as a system to harbor anaerobic bacteria). The zeolites we use in reef aquariums, are manufactured, to help break down phosphate and nitrate, while harboring anaerobic bacteria, and enhancing a variety of additives. I prefer and recommend the Korallin Zeovit system, as it's the most complete system on the market, and when used in conjunction with a carbon reactor, using Korallin Zucht's carbon, you can achieve extremely clear water.

The goal is an ultra low nutrient system, where you have a lot of control over what is in your water, and how high the concentrations are. You start by adding the reactor, and zeolites, and using a very low flow (50 gph) dosing it several times weekly with a soluble carbon source (zeostart) and an aerobic bacteria booster (zeobak). It takes several weeks for anaerobic bacteria to fully colonize the reactor. Once that happens, phosphate and nitrate are slowly removed from the system. Zeovit also removes many trace elements, but seems to have little effect on calcium and alkalinity. Some claim it helps buffer them, but IME, I've not noticed that. Once the unit is cycled, you can begin using the host of other zeovit additives. I personally dose the LPS amino acid supplement, the SPS amino acid supplement, zeobak, sponge power, coral snow and zeozyme. Zeozyme wards off cyanobacteria and boosts protein skimmer performance, while coral snow polishes water.

To give you an idea how effective sponge power is, I ran zeovit for about 5 months before removing my GFO reactor. When I did, all the GFO material was stuck together, entirely colonized by sponge.

Daily, you have to use a built in handle to shake the zeovit material, removing bacteria colonies, which can be used as a food source by corals. Dosing is usually based on what you are trying to achieve, (i.e. coral growth, or color). Though, improper dosing will strip nutrients out of the tank so quickly, it will peel the skin right off your corals. Ask me how I know that.

I've been using zeovit, for the better part of a year, and really like the results. It has some caveats. The media, carbon and additives, are expensive. It requires daily manual shaking and dosing. Each month, both carbon and zeovit need replaced. The reactors are large and cumbersome.

In my system, I was running a 30 gallon refugium in my sump, full of rock and macro-algae, along with a GFO reactor and bio-pellet reactor, to keep nitrates and phosphates down. I have totally removed the refugium, turning it into my skimmer's chamber, removed the GFO reactor and bio-pellet reactor as well, and am running the 65 gallon on my 300 gallon system without a sand bed. My nitrates are undetectable by test kits, and my phosphates are 0.0 using a Hanna low range monitor. One reactor replaced about 60 pds of live sand, 30 pounds of live rock, a trash bag 1/2 full of cheato algae and two reactors. Now those are good results.

To give you an idea how nutrient free my system's water is, I installed Santa Monica filtration's Surf 2 upflow algae scrubber to grab any spare nutrients that the zeovit might miss. They advertise that normally growth occurs in 3-5 days, or less. It took 3 months for my surf2 to get any algae growth at all. They advertise you will need to clean it, every 3-5 days. I clean my every 3-5 months.

You can def see results in coral health, coloration and growth, if you stay on top of dosing. Plus, you can get rid of all the messy, particulate debris, that comes with running sand beds and refugiums. The only change I plan to make, is upgrading to AVAST marine's Vibe reactor, which automatically stirs the media for you.

Last edited:

SnoopNL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always had zeolite in my freshwater sump, wondered lately if I should introduce it back in my marine tank, thanks for the nice read.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Zeovit is actually the brand name of Korallin Zucht's zeolite product. It's what I use, though a variety of companies have their own zeolite products. A zeovit reactor uses naturally occurring zeolites (pebble and stone like minerals) in a reactor, as both a filtration media that can absorb nutrients, but mainly as a system to harbor anaerobic bacteria). The zeolites we use in reef aquariums, are manufactured, to help break down phosphate and nitrate, while harboring anaerobic bacteria, and enhancing a variety of additives. I prefer and recommend the Korallin Zeovit system, as it's the most complete system on the market, and when used in conjunction with a carbon reactor, using Korallin Zucht's carbon, you can achieve extremely clear water.

The goal is an ultra low nutrient system, where you have a lot of control over what is in your water, and how high the concentrations are. You start by adding the reactor, and zeolites, and using a very low flow (50 gph) dosing it several times weekly with a soluble carbon source (zeostart) and an aerobic bacteria booster (zeobak). It takes several weeks for anaerobic bacteria to fully colonize the reactor. Once that happens, phosphate and nitrate are slowly removed from the system. Zeovit also removes many trace elements, but seems to have little effect on calcium and alkalinity. Some claim it helps buffer them, but IME, I've not noticed that. Once the unit is cycled, you can begin using the host of other zeovit additives. I personally dose the LPS amino acid supplement, the SPS amino acid supplement, zeobak, sponge power, coral snow and zeozyme. Zeozyme wards off cyanobacteria and boosts protein skimmer performance, while coral snow polishes water.

To give you an idea how effective sponge power is, I ran zeovit for about 5 months before removing my GFO reactor. When I did, all the GFO material was stuck together, entirely colonized by sponge.

Daily, you have to use a built in handle to shake the zeovit material, removing bacteria colonies, which can be used as a food source by corals. Dosing is usually based on what you are trying to achieve, (i.e. coral growth, or color). Though, improper dosing will strip nutrients out of the tank so quickly, it will peel the skin right off your corals. Ask me how I know that.

I've been using zeovit, for the better part of a year, and really like the results. It has some caveats. The media, carbon and additives, are expensive. It requires daily manual shaking and dosing. Each month, both carbon and zeovit need replaced. The reactors are large and cumbersome.

In my system, I was running a 30 gallon refugium in my sump, full of rock and macro-algae, along with a GFO reactor and bio-pellet reactor, to keep nitrates and phosphates down. I have totally removed the refugium, turning it into my skimmer's chamber, removed the GFO reactor and bio-pellet reactor as well, and am running the 65 gallon on my 300 gallon system without a sand bed. My nitrates are undetectable by test kits, and my phosphates are 0.0 using a Hanna low range monitor. One reactor replaced about 60 pds of live sand, 30 pounds of live rock, a trash bag 1/2 full of cheato algae and two reactors. Now those are good results.

To give you an idea how nutrient free my system's water is, I installed Santa Monica filtration's Surf 2 upflow algae scrubber to grab any spare nutrients that the zeovit might miss. They advertise that normally growth occurs in 3-5 days, or less. It took 3 months for my surf2 to get any algae growth at all. They advertise you will need to clean it, every 3-5 days. I clean my every 3-5 months.

You can def see results in coral health, coloration and growth, if you stay on top of dosing. Plus, you can get rid of all the messy, particulate debris, that comes with running sand beds and refugiums. The only change I plan to make, is upgrading to AVAST marine's Vibe reactor, which automatically stirs the media for you.

Yep that is pretty much it.. summarized: It is basically a carbon based system with media (zeolites) for the bacteria to colonize. The media is shaken to remove the bacteria to either be eaten by the coral or removed by a skimmer, it also gives a place for new bacteria to colonize..
A good skimmer is highly recommended for this type of system..

I will add another negative.. You need to be around for this system since the Zeolites need to be shaken..There are a few mechanical shakers out there though..
Also you need to be there to make sure you add the additives. A good dosser is required if you are not.

Last edited:

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeremy hit the nail, can't explain it any better.
If you do it right and can get the right education you will have a awesome reef.

r0vak1026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It establishes a nitrate/ phosphate consuming bacterial colony by regular dosing, I couldn't have the success I have with my spa corals without it. As someone posted tho. A good colony of macro alge over time will probly help but zeovit really changes the color of the corals and makes sps corals always have full polyp extension

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only pitta I think is the zeoreactor.
I hate hand-jobs so I got my self the Vibe.
Just got it hooked up but so far all ok.
Set for every 4 hrs a shake of 45sec.

Attachments

• vibe1.jpg
    vibe1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 505

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shaking the media can become a hassle. I plan on getting a Vibe myself Diesel. From everything I've ready, they work pretty well, and the video AVAST posted, of the bacterial cloud rising up off the zeovit, looked like a more controlled shake than I can get, doing it by hand. Zeovit is a different approach to reef keeping, but when done properly, and supplemented with regular water changes, it can really enhance your ability to care for corals.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can't argue with any of that, but I feel compelled to say I had one of the 1st surf2 and even using it as the only filtration it took 3 months to grow anything... yea not a good experience but I digress...

I stopped reading that wetweb article when it said "remove toxins". That is pretty much the key word for pseudoscience. Not saying the system doesn't work, lots of great looking tanks, I just can't stand that term.

Lucifa68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only pitta I think is the zeoreactor.
I hate hand-jobs so I got my self the Vibe.
Just got it hooked up but so far all ok.
Set for every 4 hrs a shake of 45sec.

hi d, what size reactor is that??? how do you find it with the small pebbles that now come in the bag?????

thanks lucifa

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi d, what size reactor is that??? how do you find it with the small pebbles that now come in the bag?????

thanks lucifa

That's a 4L reactor, just got on the market.
No problem with the small pebbles as it has a screen on the grade that prevents the smallest pieces to go through as what happens with the old reactors.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back