Hanna CA checker VS Sailfert Calcium test Kits

Giovanni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:nerd:

I have been using sailfert test kits for years. Recently a friend of mine purchased a set of Hanna Checkers for Ca(HCa), Alk (HAlk), and phos (HPhos). He did not like using the HCa as well as the HAlk and HPhos because of the extra steps so it was not getting much use. For some reason he tested with the HCa and made a comment to me that he had over dosed his tank. He agreed to test my Ca with the HCa. I had been testing my Ca with the sailfert kit and so was suppried to find the HCa gave reading more than 100ppm higher. We repeated the test multiple times and got similar results.

I have CDO, it is similar to OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order as they should be. So after a couple of days with my CDO in high gear worrying about this, I decided I would make a 400ppm solution to compare the different test with.

The test solution was made using a set of balance scales use to measure grains of gunpowder. I placed 67.95 grains of Calcium Chloride in 3 liters of RODI.

I have two sailfert test kits one is much older than the other. The newest sailfert kit gave a result of 300ppm. The older one gave a result of 325ppm and the HCa gave a result of 407.

I now have more faith in the Hanna Checker and will be testing every new batch of reagents I get with my standard solution. If I come across any other brands of test kits, I will test and post the results here.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:nerd:
I have CDO, it is similar to OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order as they should be. So after a couple of days with my CDO in high gear worrying about this, I decided I would make a 400ppm solution to compare the different test with.

Hilarious.

GREAT info and i commend you on your method. I'm actually using a salifert Ca test kit and it is registering at 400...which makes me wonder if I am really closer to 500.

Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
Giovanni

Giovanni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a test with a red sea kit tonight and it read 350 PPM

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna Cal checker has had so many issues its not even funny just google the review on this product. mine sits in the closet gathering dust. its a joke. there are even alternate methods to test due to the fact the original testing procedures dont work. reagant problems and meter reading 100ppm high or giving false 500ppm reading.

Paul C.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Hanna Phos and alk testers. Figured i should get the Cal... Total waste on money. Test are reading 490-560. Red Sea Pro reads 450+/- 5-10 points.. Save ur money

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna Cal checker has had so many issues its not even funny just google the review on this product. mine sits in the closet gathering dust. its a joke. there are even alternate methods to test due to the fact the original testing procedures dont work. reagant problems and meter reading 100ppm high or giving false 500ppm reading.

Agreed. Any test kit that is going to rely 1ml of saltwater better come with a quality syringe. And the fact that you have to use RO/DI for the other 10ml brings in a lot of variables for different people. Depending on your RODI system or if you even have one. And the fact that your RODI may have some calcium in it to begin with.

Terrible product. Went back to Salifert.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also purchased the Hanna calcium checker when it first came out, it was a joke then and looks like it still is. Only thing I use of Hanna is their P04 checker, everything else is Salifert.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While getting a bum unit or reagents is not out of the question (just very unlikely), my experience with the Calcium meter (was a beta tester, now an owner) is that it's very sensitive to user error.

When I was originally testing my unit there was nothing wrong with the results it gave that couldn't be traced back to a problem with me performing the test. (And my personal unit performed no differently when I bought it.)

Getting all the reagent from the envelope is important (watch Hanna's vid). Getting all the reagent in the vial is important. Having a clean, unscratched, unfingerprinted vial is important (and difficult, IME). Along with all that and considering the additional steps mentioned by others - not the least of which needing to have ulta-pure water (100% pure distilled is recommended in the manual but I seemed to get by on RODI) on hand during testing - this is a relatively complicated test to run.

Ultimately after working out all of my bugs (another of which was overconfidence...this is not a drip test! LOL), I no longer had a problem getting more or less matching results between a Salifert kit and Hanna's meter.

So, if you have a Calcium Checker and are getting inconsistent results and still desire to use the Calcium Checker, review how you are doing the tests. Pay extra attention to all the mentioned details - watching all of Hanna's vids. I found their YouTube videos very helpful in getting the details right. Here's the one specific to the Calcium Checker.

Day to day I do use my Salifert kit as the tests are quicker for me (experience mostly) as well as a bit less expensive.

While not for everyone, I think the Hanna Calcium meter is an awesome option for people who have trouble seeing reds and/or blues or who are intimidated by drip tests - all told, maybe more folks than you would guess.

(Also, I really like their ULR Phosphate and Phosphorus meters and Alkalinity meter much better. Less error-prone and much simpler processes by comparison.)

-Matt

OP
OP
Giovanni

Giovanni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please keep the buying and selling in the correct forum or by way of PM.

Please don't over moderate if you want your members to stay here. Nothing will kill a boards membership like over moderation.

The offer of $20 was only meant as a low ball to see how much he really disliked his hanna and was not intended to buy.

Last edited:

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giovanni: i'll send you my hanna cal checker for free. you use it if u like it u can give me $20 for it trust me u will send it back to me after few weeks.

Paul C.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giovanni, u should have a back up tester just incase u get frustrated with Dr. Reef's and smash his.. PM me ur address..LOL

OP
OP
Giovanni

Giovanni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you guys want to send them I will test them against a known 400ppm solutions and report back.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't over moderate if you want your members to stay here. Nothing will kill a boards membership like over moderation.

The offer of $20 was only meant as a low ball to see how much he really disliked his hanna and was not intended to buy.

The statement was a polite request. You are mistaken if you feel that is over moderating.

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to topic I been using elos test kits last phew years my tests come out looking good but the tank seem to think different and it look like poop
No3 -0. Po4-0 . Mg -1350. Ca 420 KH-9 all elos kits and my apex ph 8.23 ORP-333. temp 78.5-79
Salnity .26 DD h2o fefractometer I had those readings double checked by local pet store with api kits and the owner said my water is as good as it gets
Sps still not happy long term after 3-4 weeks they loose color and then they bleach from the tips

Today I'm picking up all new salifert kits just to see what those read will post results later

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got all new salifert kits last night they expire 2016 -17 tested my water again and everything is all over the place
MG -1410. CA-450. KH 11.5. PO4-0.1 NO3 -10-25 PH 8.28 ORP -301 TEMP -78.5 Salnity .25
Looks like I'm back to water changes this weekend

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 65 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 5.7%
Back