Why's Sodium carbonate so cloudy when dosed?

ahmed.boomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read it's normal to have Sodium Carbonate become cloudy when dosed. I just wanted to ask if this white cloud is due to the differance in pH or precipated CaCO3. Thanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is small drops and there's a tiny cloud of white where it enters. I might just put a smaller amount in the solution to start with. I followed BRS's recommend amount for 2 part.

This is totally normal :) Cloudy but quickly gone is fine but if it looks more like snow flakes then it's being added to fast with not enough flow. I use the BRS 2part also. Using a ml syringe, I slowly add it to the high flow area in my sump. Lil puffs of cloudy from the ALK but gone right away :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ahmed.boomer

ahmed.boomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cloud is typically magnesium hydroxide precipitating due to the elevated pH. It will dissolve elsewhere in the tank as it mixes in.

I discuss it here:

What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Thanks guys. I was a bit worried. I'll just increase my magnesium dosing as well if it's Magnesium hydroxide. Just one question, I know that Mg(OH)2 and Ca(OH)2 both have a limited solubility and the solubility of Ca(OH)2 is more than Mg(OH)2, but both of these would be precipitating to a degree. Should I dose extra magnesium as well as extra calcium or is the calcium negligible?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to increase any magnesium dosing. The magnesium hydroxide is a temporary precipitate that readily redissolves.

Calcium hydroxide is not precipitating under these conditions. It is more soluble than magnesium hydroxide at the same pH by a factor of about 100,000x.

But, if any did form, it too will redissolve in tank water. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back