Phosphates

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphate right now are between .35 and .40 and i know its because ive been over feeding and im seeing a little bit of algae growth. So will a water change help my problem

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depending on your coral stock i wouldn't lower po4 too quickly. SPS can bleach if po4 drops too drastically in a short amount of time

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theres a ton of options for reducing po4 it just depends which route you want to go. algae scrubber, gfo, phosguard, etc. what works well for others doesn't necessarily make it right for you, so id do some research and see which method you want to do

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A water change will help, but not enough.

There are many ways to reduce phosphate, including binders such as GFO and phosguard, growing macroalgae or an ATS, and organic carbon dosing.

This has more:
Phosphate and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

and

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 4: What Chemicals May Detrimentally Accumulate by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

hey randy, how often do you suggest a macro-algae harvest? I myself am struggling keeping my po4 to stay consistently under 0.06ppm. occasionally it dips to 0.03. Im wondering if I harvest my chaeto (i have a lot) more often if it will help remove some of the po4. thoughts?

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A water change will help, but not enough.

There are many ways to reduce phosphate, including binders such as GFO and phosguard, growing macroalgae or an ATS, and organic carbon dosing.

This has more:
Phosphate and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

and

The “How To†Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 4: What Chemicals May Detrimentally Accumulate by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Yeah i have a little bit of macro but im going to get somemore and and get some phosban to put in filter sock

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't harvest it until it gets too big for the space and growth slows just from shading itself. Otherwise more macroalgae should give as much or more new growth and hence nutrient reduction.

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't harvest it until it gets too big for the space and growth slows just from shading itself. Otherwise more macroalgae should give as much or more new growth and hence nutrient reduction.
so removing harvested portions completely from a system isn't absolutely necessary if say, i harvest, and take that portion and put it in a different chamber of the sump?

Last edited:
OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay the amount i have right now covers about 1/16 of the refugium space

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back