So what's the preferred methods of nutrient reduction these days?

What carbon source do you use?

• Biopellets

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • VSV

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Vodka

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • Vinegar

Votes: 22 13.2%
  • Prodibio

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Zeo

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Nothing.. just skimmer/water changes

Votes: 64 38.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 23 13.8%

• Total voters
OP
OP
A

Av8Bluewater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , Ive had a bas case of Nitrates & Phosphates, I have been dosing NO3:po4x for about 2 months, im about done with my second 500ml Nopox bottle, Tank is 460, gallons plus sump. My nitrates are around 16 with about .5 ppm phosphates. Im running A sump with Chaettomorpha, and a reactor with about 2,000ml of Biopellets. Orca Pro II Skimmer. 2- 40 watts UV. My stocking is one large green Moray eel close to 4 feet ( Been fed lightly hope it does not eat my fish, like onece every couple of weeks) California stingray, Blond Nasso Show size. Show sise yellow tang, 2 Big eye Red Skirrels, Yelloy Eye White tail, 2 Green Chromis, Medium Desjardini, Medium Large Vlamingi, Medium Large Unicorn Tang, Purple Tang, Blu Face Angel Large, Another Small Angel. Hope i got my count right, Clean up crew consisting of Blue Legs and nassarius. Bottom does not get siphoned because of height of tank plus cannopy, Thick sand bed bottom on the tank, some areas as high as 4 inches. Seachem matrix media on bottom of tank, coarse sand, not crush coral.a cople of soft corals and a monty cap. Will love to introduce SPS soon, soon to be added KAlkwaser. Stopped Ozone injectoion to skimmer a couple of days ago to see if it helps produce more skimmate due to restriction of air draw on skimmer. Water changes, two 150 gallon changes in the past month, going to be automatically changing 5 gallons daily for the next month.

Currently dosing 80ml Nopox daily

Alk 9
Salinity 1.24
Ph around 7.95-8.1
Calcium 440-460

Im I doing something wrong, was hoping to taper off on the dosing of NOPOX when levels started dropping and using a maintenance dose along with Biopellets but nothing seems to work.

Im using 2 Red sea kits to measure parameters. One with the new reagents and a old one with the all liquid ones, next week a test with triton will be sent just to confirm my testing is accurate, No hair algae but not too much coralline growth either.

Opposed lightning on tank to refugium.

Please help.
I'm not sure about the no pox and pellets together. Maybe one of the experts can chime in but I found the pellets take muy patience. I didn't really have high NO3/PO4 to begin with so it wasn't a big deal but it seemed to take 3-4 months before I took my GFO offline to see if the pellets could handle it(the PO4 part).. and they did. Eventually with only about 500ml of ecobak plus pellets my nutrient levels got too low. I have to dial the reactor back to a fast drip. With your heavy stocked tank I would imagine given time the pellets will do the job. As long as your making headway in the direction you want to go I would just stay the course and possible add some bacteria like prodibio digest.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , Ive had a bas case of Nitrates & Phosphates, I have been dosing NO3:po4x for about 2 months, im about done with my second 500ml Nopox bottle, Tank is 460, gallons plus sump. My nitrates are around 16 with about .5 ppm phosphates. Im running A sump with Chaettomorpha, and a reactor with about 2,000ml of Biopellets. Orca Pro II Skimmer. 2- 40 watts UV. My stocking is one large green Moray eel close to 4 feet ( Been fed lightly hope it does not eat my fish, like onece every couple of weeks) California stingray, Blond Nasso Show size. Show sise yellow tang, 2 Big eye Red Skirrels, Yelloy Eye White tail, 2 Green Chromis, Medium Desjardini, Medium Large Vlamingi, Medium Large Unicorn Tang, Purple Tang, Blu Face Angel Large, Another Small Angel. Hope i got my count right, Clean up crew consisting of Blue Legs and nassarius. Bottom does not get siphoned because of height of tank plus cannopy, Thick sand bed bottom on the tank, some areas as high as 4 inches. Seachem matrix media on bottom of tank, coarse sand, not crush coral.a cople of soft corals and a monty cap. Will love to introduce SPS soon, soon to be added KAlkwaser. Stopped Ozone injectoion to skimmer a couple of days ago to see if it helps produce more skimmate due to restriction of air draw on skimmer. Water changes, two 150 gallon changes in the past month, going to be automatically changing 5 gallons daily for the next month.

Currently dosing 80ml Nopox daily

Alk 9
Salinity 1.24
Ph around 7.95-8.1
Calcium 440-460

Im I doing something wrong, was hoping to taper off on the dosing of NOPOX when levels started dropping and using a maintenance dose along with Biopellets but nothing seems to work.

Im using 2 Red sea kits to measure parameters. One with the new reagents and a old one with the all liquid ones, next week a test with triton will be sent just to confirm my testing is accurate, No hair algae but not too much coralline growth either.

Opposed lightning on tank to refugium.

Please help.

You'll likely need to bring the phosphate down with an unbalanced method, such as a phosphate binder. Pellets and soluble organic carbon dosing probably won't deplete it adequately with nitrate being at that level (if nitrate were higher it might).

So GFO might be a reasonable approach for your phosphate.

I don't know if your kits are accurate, but if they are, and if you do not have apparent bacteria growing in the display, increasing the NOPOX or just adding vinegar or vodka (which is mostly what NOPOX is) seems like a fine plan.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy Isn't 16:1 nitrates to phosphates about right? If so it would seem they need to reduce both.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theoretically the pellets or NOPOX could drop nitrate to zero, and if it did, I think there would be phosphate left over.

The Redfield ratio is N : P in phytoplankton tissues, but organic carbon dosing tends to reduce nitrate more than that ratio due to the use as an oxygen source (electron acceptor) where the N doesn't get into the tissue but is lost as N2.

Last edited:

fisharefriends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a question I know what NOPOX is I've used it in the past with good outcomes. But how could a person run all these things gfo, biopellets, skimmer and do constant water changes and still have a nitrate an Phosphate problem..?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't have macroalgae, ATS, deep sand beds, live rock, porous denitrification media, or denitrators as choices, but worse, it doesn't allow multiple choices. I use many at the same time. :)

That is true and both Randy and myself mix a little of our water with Vodka every day and drink it to reduce nitrates (and help us sleep)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a question I know what NOPOX is I've used it in the past with good outcomes. But how could a person run all these things gfo, biopellets, skimmer and do constant water changes and still have a nitrate an Phosphate problem..?

Depends on how much of each you use, how much you feed, and whether you remove detritus and such.

But in general, appropriate use of these should manage most any nutrient issue. :)

fisharefriends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy what would your skimmer selection be for a tank around 120 gallons in total with sump and I mean size not company or name brand...

Last edited:

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do vodka dosing, water changes weekly, carbon and run a skimmer full time.

dKH-9
Calcium-440
Magnesium- 1280
SG-1.024
Temp-79

Dont know where nitrates are, I've never tested for them as I dont see a need SPS and other corals seem happy and growing nicely. When things change that's when I go crazy with all my tests. LOL

mocika

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do vodka dosing, water changes weekly, carbon and run a skimmer full time.

dKH-9
Calcium-440
Magnesium- 1280
SG-1.024
Temp-79

Dont know where nitrates are, I've never tested for them as I dont see a need SPS and other corals seem happy and growing nicely. When things change that's when I go crazy with all my tests. LOL
Vodka dosing without testing No3 is like playing russian roulette. GL

joeyhatch11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the vodka dosing small with .4 ml a day, slowly raising it to 1ml over time on my small 35g system. Never once seeing a problem with my corals. Everything has grown much faster since I've started the dosing and the water quality has become much clearer. Of course my skimmer is in overdrive because of it, but that it expected. As mentioned, I only test all parameters when I see a problem with my SPS and thus far I have not. The key to vodka dosing is starting small and taking your time with it. I did that and now I'm seeing the benefits of it.

mocika

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vodka dosing its food for bacteria and when No3 is nearly zero u must lower amount of dosing. Lets say half dose... so maybe you going great but still the right way is to test No3.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fwiw to blacktipper - I don't mean this in a negative way at all - your tank sounds amazing and I am a huge fish fan. I'm thinking with such a huge bioload, it may be a struggle for you to get parameters in check long-term especially if your livestock are eating regularly. The parameters you need for sps are going to be hard to achieve - I'd probably opt for hardy softies and other corals that like a good nutrient load. Just my .02 :) - sorry the the off thread comment

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy what would your skimmer selection be for a tank around 120 gallons in total with sump and I mean size not company or name brand...

I'm not convinced that super sized skimmers are really needed for most tanks, but I don't really know how to properly compare most skimmers.

blacktippr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fwiw to blacktipper - I don't mean this in a negative way at all - your tank sounds amazing and I am a huge fish fan. I'm thinking with such a huge bioload, it may be a struggle for you to get parameters in check long-term especially if your livestock are eating regularly. The parameters you need for sps are going to be hard to achieve - I'd probably opt for hardy softies and other corals that like a good nutrient load. Just my .02 :) - sorry the the off thread comment

Thanks for your advise.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vodka dosing without testing No3 is like playing russian roulette. GL

Perhaps it is old fashioned, but I think observing the response of the tank can be a good way to do it, rather than relying on a test that might not even be accurate. :)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps it is old fashioned, but I think observing the response of the tank can be a good way to do it, rather than relying on a test that might not even be accurate

Exactly

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The preferred method of nutrient export for me is a protein skimmer over rated x4 and growing and harvesting macroalgae / ats. I also consider bare bottom (without sand) a form of nutrient control. I don't have sand. But love the look. I just feel our sand beds are unproportional for our water ratio.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a seahorse tank and LPS reef tank connected via sump so nutrient control is on my mind too. I use big percentage water changes, chemi-pure elite, lots of macros and softie corals and a DSB and manuel removal of detritus. I am afraid of carbon dosing since my seahorses could be compromised by bacteria.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back