Red slime

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im battling red slime but i cant figure out why i have no phosphates or nitrates my tank in only 3 months old so could that be why

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red slime and the tank are consuming nitrates and phosphates and keeping them unmeasureable.
I would kill the lights and suspend all feeding until the red slime dies off. then restart with 1/2 lighting and feeding and adjust so the good stuff thrives and the red slime doesn't come back.
my .02

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your slime is consuming your intangibles. That's my guess to your test results.

Work on reducing your input of light/food, increase the flow to the slime area and remove as much as you can (slime) physically.

This should get you on a good start

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to say there is "none"? Most kits cannot adequately test low levels to really make that claim.

Exporting more nutrients, especially phosphate, before the cyano gets it is usually a good plan.

How are you currently exporting nutrients?

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your slime is consuming your intangibles. That's my guess to your test results.

Work on reducing your input of light/food, increase the flow to the slime area and remove as much as you can (slime) physically.

This should get you on a good start

+1
Have you experienced a temp fluctuation before the slime began.

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to say there is "none"? Most kits cannot adequately test low levels to really make that claim.

Exporting more nutrients, especially phosphate, before the cyano gets it is usually a good plan.

How are you currently exporting nutrients?

Im using gfo and Refugium and filter socks. I think im still fighting it from when i was cleaning my filter socks as much as i should have been. All my corals are doing great too though

UK_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the slime mainly on the sand? I've often had and seen sheet like algae on top of a new sand bed, I always assumed its because the sand is not yet really live so not really doing any 'processing' of the detritus that settles on it.

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the slime mainly on the sand? I've often had and seen sheet like algae on top of a new sand bed, I always assumed its because the sand is not yet really live so not really doing any 'processing' of the detritus that settles on it.

Its only on my sand

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may take a substantial amount of time at low phosphate to remove all the phosphate that may be bound to the rock and sand.

Im using gfo and Refugium and filter socks. I think im still fighting it from when i was cleaning my filter socks as much as i should have been. All my corals are doing great too though

I actually meant what test kit. :)

jhoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this problem. 15 Gallon tank. Red slime would grow in the sand. It would grow overnight. I would pull hand fulls out. I tried chemiclean not luck. Then I tried red slime remover. Two treatment and it was gone. Now two months later no slime.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it cannot read low enough to say there is no phosphate present, and I'd continue with the GFO. Reducing organic matter can also help, but skimming or using GAC or one of the commercial organic binders such as Purigen. :)

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it cannot read low enough to say there is no phosphate present, and I'd continue with the GFO. Reducing organic matter can also help, but skimming or using GAC or one of the commercial organic binders such as Purigen. :)

I do have a skimmer

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sound like your system is actually doing well. try the lights/feeding idea and it should straighten itself out. Hopefully your refugium has macro algae in it also?

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sound like your system is actually doing well. try the lights/feeding idea and it should straighten itself out. Hopefully your refugium has macro algae in it also?

Yes my refugium does. I am actually doing a black out right now. I was think it was just because my tank is newer since my sps is doing well and growing

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my refugium does. I am actually doing a black out right now. I was think it was just because my tank is newer since my sps is doing well and growing
Just my observation.
One sets up and new tank. Gets things growing, everything is fine, nitrates finally drop down, cycle complete then here it comes---Red slime. A little at first but it just covers everything eventually.
So what you are experiencing is not uncommon. With everything else especially your sps doing well, I think the black out, less feeding will kill it off and then you can make adjustments which will insure the sps thrives and the red slime is held at bay.
but that's just my .02

Last edited:
OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my observation.
One sets up and new tank. Gets things growing, everything is fine, nitrates finally drop down, cycle complete then here it comes---Red slime. A little at first but it just covers everything eventually.
So what you are experiencing is not uncommon. With everything else especially your sps doing well, I think the black out, less feeding will kill it off and then you can make adjustments which will insure the sps thrives and the red slime is held at bay.
but that's just my .02

Okay thanks

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back