Filtration Pads (Carbon, Phosphate, Nitrate, etc)

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of sheer convenience, I currently use a simple sponge pad to help block out detritus and air bubbles going into my return pump. It works well, doing it's job.

I'd like to run carbon, but don't have much space in my sump, and since I already have a spot for my pad, I figure "Kill two birds with one stone."

Honestly, I don't imagine these pads to be effective... but I should at least ask here in the chemistry forum. Are they effective or I just suck it up and try to fit a bloody reactor somewhere? :lol:

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol thanks Randy, it was a vague question, I know.. Figured maybe others might have the same question but not for carbon.

I wanted it to help keep down the smell. I switched to filter socks yesterday, plus did my every two weeks gravel/water change, and it pulled out a lot of stuff (I switched to just LRS fish frenzy twice a day).

Because I already use a sponge pad, I was hoping to keep my sump un cluttered and just use a carbon pad. Maybe I'll DIY one and use actual activated carbon bits inside. Would that be better, in your opinion, than the pads?

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I just realized the fan was blowing ricocheted air at the exposed to air filter socks. Doh! :lol:

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the size and bioload the carbon pads are great. I pit a 29g biocube in my daughter's kindergarten class and use those, she is in sixth grade now. Tank has a couple clowns, mated filefish royal grammar and a chromium. Clean up crew and soft corals. I do a monthly 5 gal water change teacher switches out the cut to fit carbon at the two week mark.
Six years of a great looking super simple tank.

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquel, Pura, as well as some off brand thing the LFS has had. The Pura is a "complete filter" pad and is suppose to remove a wide range of stuff, but at almost four times the price I didnt find it worth the extra. These pads are great in low bio-load systems, but like everything...individual results may vary:)

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use carbon pads in my 5gal occasionally. Seems to give the water that shine I'm looking for!
I just get little bits if carbon everywhere when I cut it up.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back