What would you rate my bio-load? Heavy, Medium, Low??

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 57 gallon mixed reef with a 30 gallon sump.
Fish: Inverts:
Small blue tang Sandshifing star fish
percula clown peppermint shrimp
6 line wrasse about 25 blue legged hermits
neon goby about 15 astrea snails
mandarin dragonet 5 trochus snails
2x banghaii cardinals 4 red legged hermits
Hi fin goby

Its loaded with live rock , and loaded with corals, pretty much dont have anymore room for more. everything from softies, lps, and sps.

What would you say my bio load is ?

OP
OP
Reef_a_holiks

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the the reason for asking the question? The context may impact the answer. :)
Well im running into a couple issues that I cant seem to get a grip on. Nitrates are at 5-10ppm and dont drop for nothing. I personally feel my bio load is not a heavy one, atleast not heavy enough for the nitrates. Tank is running sump, with dual filter socks, refugium, psk 100 protein skimmer and UV sterilizer. Along with 15gallon bi weekly water changes. I feed fish every other day and corals twice a week. I have no clue why I have the nitrates. You know some of past issues, you always reply to my threads.

OP
OP
Reef_a_holiks

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rate it low. Picture would definitely help.
Heres the pic:

IMAG2090_1.jpg

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy is probably the expert but my only guess would be some dead spots behind the rock work. Still sounds like a low bio load to me.

Doesn't seem like anything is off from the picture (algae etc.), might just be the right balance for your tank. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say medium, but it really doesn't matter what the load is. If nitrate is elevated and you are not feeding a lot more than the fish need, then you need to increase nitrogen export.

There are many good ways to do that, including growing macroalgae, algal turf scrubbing, organic carbon dosing of various sorts, denitrators, deep sand beds, and various porous media.

OP
OP
Reef_a_holiks

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say medium, but it really doesn't matter what the load is. If nitrate is elevated and you are not feeding a lot more than the fish need, then you need to increase nitrogen export.

There are many good ways to do that, including growing macroalgae, algal turf scrubbing, organic carbon dosing of various sorts, denitrators, deep sand beds, and various porous media.

My cheato doesnt seem to do much , doesnt even seem to grow. My tank has a shallow sand bed, and no sand in the refugium, only live rock. maybe add deep sand bed in the refugium ? I dont like the organic carbon dosing as I hate how its a daily thing but im considering it. What are some other methods that involve porous media?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cheato doesnt seem to do much , doesnt even seem to grow. My tank has a shallow sand bed, and no sand in the refugium, only live rock. maybe add deep sand bed in the refugium ? I dont like the organic carbon dosing as I hate how its a daily thing but im considering it. What are some other methods that involve porous media?

You might consider dosing some iron for the chaeto if it is not growing in adequate light and nutrients.

I discuss most nitrate reduction methods in this article which came out today:

Nitrate in the Reef Aquarium - REEFEDITION

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back