Is my kh right??

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kh is reading 6.8. Is that good or does it need to be higher???

OP
OP
JGon

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by a LFS that it should be above 8. And i was told by another LFS that it should be between 4 and 7.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7-12dKH is normal range
parameters_chart.jpg

OP
OP
JGon

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my water tested four times. At first my kh was at 5. The LFS sold me some buffer to increase it to 8. Dosed the tank the next three days. Kh was at 6. Dosed it the following two days. Tested at 6.5 the next day. Left it alone for five days. Had it tested and it was at 6.8. Am I missing somethin??

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my water tested four times. At first my kh was at 5. The LFS sold me some buffer to increase it to 8. Dosed the tank the next three days. Kh was at 6. Dosed it the following two days. Tested at 6.5 the next day. Left it alone for five days. Had it tested and it was at 6.8. Am I missing somethin??

Probably some combination if test errors and consumption. It never rises on its own. :)

OP
OP
JGon

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have much in it at the moment. It's a new tank. So far what I have in it is a neon dottyback and three snails. My aquarium is a 20g long.

OP
OP
JGon

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I keep dosing and see if i can get it up there to 8 or just leave it as is??

bpcass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just watch it for a little while. Take readings every few days or daily if you want and see if it drops back down. If you don't have corals in there yet the KH should stay pretty stable. If you do have corals or are planning on getting them I wouldn't mess with alkalinity without also tracking calcium. If you just dose one the balance will be thrown off and you'll have problems with KH, calcium, and pH. It sounds like you are having your water tested at the LFS. If so get a test kit and start doing it yourself and pick up a calcium test too. You will be more consistent than having different people do it at the store every time.

OP
OP
JGon

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do plan on adding corals and a few more fish. I was told I could already start adding coral. But this whole kh situation has me a bit concerned. I don't want to start adding coral until I have my parameters where they should be. Unless it really isn't a big deal where it's at at the moment.

OP
OP
JGon

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I am willing to be patient as long as I have to. It's my first saltwater/reef aquarium and I wanna do this right.

bpcass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where you are at is reasonable for now as long as you also have a reasonable pH 7.8-8.5. How new is the tank? What kind of corals do you plan to add? If you are going with soft corals you are fine. If you are going with hard corals you will be fine for a while until they start growing and pulling calcium and alkalinity out of the water. At that point you would need to start dosing a balanced calcium and alkalinity supplement such as calcium hydroxide (kalkwasser), or one of the many two part additives like B ionic.

OP
OP
JGon

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is pretty new. It's two and a half weeks old. And the plan is to go with soft corals.

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what salt mix are you using? might want to consider a good quality salt mix that has higher ALK and Calcium.

OP
OP
JGon

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what salt mix are you using? might want to consider a good quality salt mix that has higher ALK and Calcium.
I got the water premixed at my LFS. So I don't know what salt they use.

OP
OP
JGon

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it matters whether you boost it to 8 dKH or leave it where it is, but don't let it go lower.
Gotcha. I'll invest in a test kit and start testing my water myself more often to keep an eye on my parameters. Thanks everyone! [emoji2]

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kh is reading 6.8. Is that good or does it need to be higher???
depends on the units. If 6.8 DKH then probably a little low. I would read the improved diy two part system. Or even just add a tables poon or so of baking soda. But read the two part first.
my .02

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back