Tenting or Fumigating Effects on Reef Tank

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of my found out that he has a termite issue and probably will need to have his house treated. Possibly tented but there maybe an other option for treating which i need to find out about. He has a 46 gallon bowfront without a sump...bio wheel filter and a HOB skimmer. Questions:

1) Have you been through this?

2) what were the preparations?

3) What were the results?

Thanks in advance!

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take the tank out. Put it at your house. That stuff is bad. People and animals are not allowed in a house while it is tented. Remember water absorbs everything. I wont let the fiance plug one of those plug ins near the tank. Has to be on the other side of the room.

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take the tank out. Put it at your house. That stuff is bad. People and animals are not allowed in a house while it is tented. Remember water absorbs everything. I wont let the fiance plug one of those plug ins near the tank. Has to be on the other side of the room.

I had a bad feeling this was going to be the response...really hoping i can find someone that had no choice and can share what happened!!

reefsmokinFOOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Blazinnano The water will absorb the termte poison. When pest control comes to my house he is not allowed to spray inside my home. I would not take a 5 percent chance with my tank.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I've sprayed the home pest stuff around my tank before and it never hurt anything from what I've seen.

Sculpin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly the same thing, but I'm planning to have my wood floors redone and it was suggested to me that I seal my tank up really tight, turn off the skimmer, and run a ventilation tube pushing fresh air from outside. The goal is to create enough positive pressure in the enclosed tank that it will keep the dangerous fumes out. I still need to figure out how I'm going to seal everything up, but I'm hoping it's not too complicated a procedure.

With a tent covering the house, this approach probably won’t work.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone posted about the same thing a few months ago. The sealed off their tank with plastic and everything pulled through ok. I'll try to find the thread

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is he took the lights and filters off and just left the powerheads running and wrapped the whole tank completely with cellophane? Maybe put and airpump on the tank. You can probably get the big rolls of cellophane from home depot or lowes. The ones they use to wrap pallets in. The tank would be completely sealed...

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, I would use something like an aqualifer sucking air from outside and bubbling it through an airstone. It will help dissove some of the CO2 from being covered and keep your pH up

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
it can be done....Seal off the tank with plastic, and run your skimmer's air intake somewhere outside the tent to draw the fresh air in, and create the positive pressure

Lytehouse

just havin' fun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it can be done....Seal off the tank with plastic, and run your skimmer's air intake somewhere outside the tent to draw the fresh air in, and create the positive pressure

Our lfs does this all the time with their clients tanks when they have floors done or pest control. Seal the tank, clean air from outside.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not just flood the entire house with saltwater.
termite problem solved.

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the information and suggestion everyone - Looks like it might just try to move the tank...He just does want to take any chances. Plus good time for new sand and water huh LOL

Ford4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know this is an old thread but you are incorrect. Water does not absorb everything, only if there is some type of oxygen exchange will you have an issue.

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a girlfriend that left a betta in the bowl while the house was being bug bombed.... The betta was no more never the less. Definitely remove tank and all equipment and or items used with the tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but you are incorrect. Water does not absorb everything, only if there is some type of oxygen exchange will you have an issue.

Not sure what you are implying, but many of the fumigants used for termites will enter the water and can potentially cause problems. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back