Bumpy skin on acro

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This acro has been growing well for me. Recently the skin has started to get bumpy. I tried to get a picture of it here. I have 2 small frags of this acro growing on a frag rack on the other side of the tank and they have smooth skin. Does anyone know what causes this? I also have about 5 frags of Oregon tort, and 2 of them have this bumpy skin while the other 3 do not.

20130912_133917_zps98f212cf.jpg

20130912_133858_zps03c6f995.jpg

Here is a picture from a month or so ago

IMG_4294_zps4b59934b.jpg

IMG_4831_zps2a8bae50.jpg

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wierd only thing that comes to mind is maybe the coral is doing that to slow down the rate of water traveling over it.. I know in some montis they will get more ridges and bumps in my tank if the water flow is high

OP
OP
I

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 kits actually, 2 brand new Salifert (I accidentally bought 2) and an older Elos. All testing at 450ppm.

I did have high calcium (510ppm) and magnesium (1500) about a month ago. But that has been under control and back to normal levels for a couple weeks.

Also why would it affect this small colony and not the frags?

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wierd only thing that comes to mind is maybe the coral is doing that to slow down the rate of water traveling over it.. I know in some montis they will get more ridges and bumps in my tank if the water flow is high

Hmmmm that would make sense but the flow isn't really high right there. But I am going to try moving the frags from this coral around to different places and see if flow has something to do with it.

jservedio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be forming new corallites? Check some of the bumps for polyps - it could just be new growth. If some of those bumps have little teeny-tiny polyps coming out if it, you have your answer. I've seen ridges and thicker branches from high flow, but never extra bumpiness.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens from high magnesium, it may or may not end in total polyp bail out. When my coral did it, it eventually rtned, my magnesium was high due to a faulty test kit.

OP
OP
I

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens from high magnesium, it may or may not end in total polyp bail out. When my coral did it, it eventually rtned, my magnesium was high due to a faulty test kit.

That would make sense with my records on my params. I had high mag, over 1500 for about a week while I brought it down with WCs. I just tested 10min ago and its still coming down.

Alk: 8.6dKH
calcium: 430
mag:1425

Hopefully I won't lose this guy :/

OP
OP
I

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be forming new corallites? Check some of the bumps for polyps - it could just be new growth. If some of those bumps have little teeny-tiny polyps coming out if it, you have your answer. I've seen ridges and thicker branches from high flow, but never extra bumpiness.

Definitely not new corallites, though i wish!! haha There are just too many for it to be that.

OP
OP
I

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I moved the pics. Its gotta be either high calcium or high mag. I wonder why the coral does this though? Does anyone know?

20130912_133917_zps98f212cf.jpg

20130912_133858_zps03c6f995.jpg

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as i read this post I thought about my Oregon tort because that did the same thing to me. I am almost certain that it had something to do with the addition of vinegar. At the time i was dosing zeo sponge power (smells like vinegar), and increased the amount of vinegar in my kalk. I backed off on both and the skin returned to normal. Could be coincidental but that's all I could come up with :)

My magnesium is 1250 on 2 different kits. Is anyone having this problem dosing a carbon source?

Last edited:

msderganc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as i read this post I thought about my Oregon tort because that did the same thing to me. I am almost certain that it had something to do with the addition of vinegar. At the time i was dosing zeo sponge power (smells like vinegar), and increased the amount of vinegar in my kalk. I backed off on both and the skin returned to normal. Could be coincidental but that's all I could come up with :)

My magnesium is 1250 on 2 different kits. Is anyone having this problem dosing a carbon source?

Well, I'm using biopellets, but I didn't see any correlation to that. I believe it started around the time I had calcium and alkalinity swing. Noticeably, though, most of the bumps are on the side of the coral in direct light.

Dosing carbon could clarify the water somewhat and increase the amount of light reaching the coral, so it could be a knock on effect (if light is the culprit). Most of the corals with this issue that I've seen are the deeper water varieties.

msderganc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we have a carbon source in common, I didn't have any parameter swings when I noticed this issue.

Yeah, everything I've seen basically says no one knows why it happens. I've seen carbon dosing, alkalinity swings, high magnesium, low magnesium, high calcium, low calcium, bacteria, algae, and high light as possible causes.

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this happen to Oregon Tort, Cali Tort and Hawkins Echinata. Never was able to find a cause. My last theory was that the cause was too much flow, I had been running an MP40 and an MP10 on 100% in a 30"x30" tank.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, everything I've seen basically says no one knows why it happens..

Agreed! :)

I've had this happen to Oregon Tort, Cali Tort and Hawkins Echinata. Never was able to find a cause. My last theory was that the cause was too much flow, I had been running an MP40 and an MP10 on 100% in a 30"x30" tank.

Jimbo do you dose a carbon source?

Jimbo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jimbo do you dose a carbon source?[/QUOTE]

At the time I was using Biopellets.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back