Phosphate in my RODI Water?!

vertwake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having a phosphate problem in my DT.

I've been trying everything I can think of to lower it. I'm running GFO but it wasn't making a dent. Water changes weren't making a dent...seemed to even be getting worse after water change. So tonight I tested my RODI system.

RODI:
Hanna Checker:
Test 1 - Greater than 2.5
Test 2 - 1.5

API manual test: 0.25

DT:
Hanna: .13
API: 0
Yesterday after 20% water change Hanna was .75 (So my GFO appears to be working...)

So obvious questions:
1. How is it possible my RODI has PO4 in it?!
2. How can I prevent it?

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the RO membrane? What is your tds after your DI? Have you tested your tap water before filtering? Also try testing some distilled water and see if you get 0 readings from those kits.

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your final TDS reading is zero, then there should not be phosphate in the effluent. A properly running RODI system will remove all of the phosphate. Once your DI filter reaches capacity and your TDS reading rises to 0001, then you need to change the DI filter

Last edited:
OP
OP
vertwake

vertwake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO membrane is 4 mos old. Final TDS reading from the RO unit is 0...I haven't seen the TDS rise at all yet. (It was rising when I replaced it, so I'm familiar with the symptoms.)

I'll try some distilled water tomorrow and see what I get. I have not tested tap water yet.

jdpiii3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your getting a 0 tds I would believe it to me more of the margin of error for those kits. Do you run 2 DI chambers? how do you pack the DI when you refill?
Did you check your mixing container water, or a fresh collection of water straight from the DI output?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your final TDS reading is zero, then there should not be phosphate in the effluent. A properly running RODI system will remove all of the phosphate. Once your DI filter reaches capacity and your TDS reading rises to 0001, then you need to change the DI filter
Hate to say it but this is wrong.... A tds meter does not pick up po4 actually... To the op it's time to change your di resin and go from there... I have seen over the last 2 years more and more people adding a gfo reactor to there salt water mixing stations just for this reason... Wouldn't hurt if you catch my drift..;)

OP
OP
vertwake

vertwake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Guess I'll start by buying some new filters.

Regarding how I pack them...I have a 4 stage Spectra Pure, I just order the refill containers, don't actually pack anything.

Tonight I tested straight from my Filter and I was still getting .42 even with 0 TDS.

Question is, which piece of my 4 stage do I need to replace? Do I need to replace every filter on it?
This is the one I have: MAXCAP RO/DI SYSTEM

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot accurately test phosphates in ultrapure water. Trust a god handheld TDS meter such as the HM Digital COM-100 which is 10x more sensitive than most meters are extremely accurate at low ranges. Hobbyist grade test kits and meters will not be accurate. While phosphates are weakly ionized they will register on a good low range TDS meter.

Ask your water utility if they are adding phosphates as a form of corrosion control in the distribution system, if so keep up with your DI replacements and use only Spectrapures SilicaBuster resin.

Last edited:

kes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, hope this works out for you. You can always get a sample purified water from someplace to cross check the readings/test kits.

OP
OP
vertwake

vertwake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I replaced all 4 of my filters, and my Hanna Checker was still showing 0.65 PO4 coming straight out of the RO/DI system. So I also had a chat with the folks at SpectraPure. They assured me that if I have a 0 TDS reading coming out of the RO system there is "no way I can have phosphates" coming from it. I was told repeatedly that my Hanna checker must be off.

So I guess I'm just going to go with it for a while and see what happens.

tampasnooker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at .65 reading, you should be able to see the color change yourself. is the sample turning blue? the tests look clear to me until a sample is over about .15 and then I can see the blue tint.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna checker along with hobbyist grade test kits are not designed for testing ultrapure waters and will not be the least bit accurate. TDS or conductivity are you best bets as there are just too few ions to measure with other methods.

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna checker along with hobbyist grade test kits are not designed for testing ultrapure waters and will not be the least bit accurate. TDS or conductivity are you best bets as there are just too few ions to measure with other methods.

This might be a silly question, but would it make for a more accurate PO4 testing if we purposely add ions to the RO/DI water that are known to not contain PO4? Maybe something that is easily found in our fish cabinet or in the house?

StinkyReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Guess I'll start by buying some new filters.

Regarding how I pack them...I have a 4 stage Spectra Pure, I just order the refill containers, don't actually pack anything.

Tonight I tested straight from my Filter and I was still getting .42 even with 0 TDS.

Question is, which piece of my 4 stage do I need to replace? Do I need to replace every filter on it?
This is the one I have: MAXCAP RO/DI SYSTEM
Same I get 0 TDS but high phosphate that was just cold RODI water tomorrow I’m gonna mix it to 35ppt and 78 degrees to see what I get for phosphate

Planted Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is quite an old thread, but if anyone has concerns about phosphate in ro/di water I’m happy to address them. In general, phosphate in 0 ppm tds water is not significant relative to other sources.

Isolatedreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is quite an old thread, but if anyone has concerns about phosphate in ro/di water I’m happy to address them. In general, phosphate in 0 ppm tds water is not significant relative to other sources.
Hi Randy. M friend is having major grenn hair algae issues, with nitrates at 0 and phosphate at 1.72, as tested on a hanna checker. His ro system is delivering 0ppm tds. The ro water itself gets a phosphate reading of 0.23 and after mixing the saltwater the phosphate reading is at 0.43. Do you think these readings indicate that the source water might be a problem and should be addressed, or do you think because his current tank phosphate is 1.72 that we should be looking elsewhere for the phosphate problem?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back