Soft Coral ID. (Blue Clove Polyps??)

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I've been "out" of soft corals for awhile now, but just noticed something in the frag tank, that I've never had before...lol. So, I broke it off of a large rock that it was growing on, so it wouldn't spread. I'm thinking that it's Blue or Purple Clove polyps, but am not 100% sure.

Picture color is slightly off. Camera Custom White Balance setting is set to a different tank. Coral is actually slightly more blue than photo shows.

4455606672_5dfa51d61d_b.jpg

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a octocoral, it could be cloves - does it retract fully into the base?

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't even messed with it, to see if it retracts, although I don't think it does.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Get rid of them asap bro! They are pretty, but they will spread all over even if you place them on an island. They will not harm corals, but they will choke out zoas. The will cover your rocks.

Harlem20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of them asap bro! They are pretty, but they will spread all over even if you place them on an island. They will not harm corals, but they will choke out zoas. The will cover your rocks.

are those similiar to the blue cloves and if they arent do the blue cloves do the same

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes and Yes!

OP
OP
returnofsid

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev, this what I've come to realize, through reading about them. Seems they're even more invasive than GSP...lol. So far, they're on about a 1" in diameter rock, in the center of an empty frag rack...lol. I'll probably try to find some local "sucker" who wants them...lol. I'll make sure to warn any potential victims, about their propensity to spread like wild fire.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had no problem selling some with a complete and overboard warning so neither should you! HA!

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! you have to get rid of that stuff ASAP! you will have a tank COVERED in polyps in about a few months!
very true! when i first started, i thought they were nice,.... which they are, dont get me wrong but they WILL take over!!! from 3 polyps on a TINY rock to a full 6x6 in 3mos..... and jumped to other parts of my LR!!! getem out...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back