Ok I give up. What do you think this is?

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this frag a few weeks ago from the "assorted frag" section of the LFS assuming it was some kind of acro. I've failed since to find a really good match for its species, or to find a pic of anything else quite like it although there are many that are similar. Then I saw the Reef Builder article on Turbinaria Heronensis and though huh, that's it. But things that are unlikely usually are not true, so what do you think? Oh yeah one other thing - I've seen no polyp extension on this at all. The only "acro" in my system that has not had polyps, although there were mesenterial strings out one time.

So please tell me I'm crazy.

Mine
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_8859.jpg

Turbinaria heronensis
IMG_8940.jpg
IMG_8938.jpg
IMG_8941.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's certainly an acro, but a positive species ID won't be possible until it grows out some.

It's not a turbinaria; the polyps are way too small. Note the size of the turbinaria polyps in reference to the eggcrate in the RB photo.

OP
OP
Velodog2

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a good point about the size of the coralites.

I bought it as an acro and really hope it is, but I haven't found anything that resembles it structurally as much as this turbinaria. As you say, I need to wait for it to grow.

Still haven't seen actual polyps but there are little dots of an intense sapphire blue color developing that seems promising.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best guess right now is either A. turaki, A. echinata, or A. speciosa. Both turaki and speciosa don't typically show polyps during the photoperiod; only in the darkness of night.

OP
OP
Velodog2

Velodog2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaning toward speciosa at the moment. Coralsee.org has a good pic of one with quite similar structure, and Joe Knows Coral has a pic with colors very similar to what mine is morphing into with cream/green body and blue polyp calices. Mine still seems to have more "webbing" or fusing between coralites than those others, but it's a small frag so I don't want to try to get too picky.

I've still not caught the polyps extended even at night which makes it unique among my acros, but it is beginning to grow around the edges some. If anything it is probably getting more light than it would like but I will stay the course for now. Gotta love this aspect of the hobby!

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.1%
Back