6105 Power Supply Issue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an older style 6105 (got it used, unsure of age, sure the warranty is expired) and any time I turn the pump off to clean the power supply won't come back on. I turn the pump off via my RKE.

Any thoughts or ideas as to why this happens or how to fix it?

Thanks guys.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The power supplies usually last about 4 years, does the pump never turn on, or does it eventually turn on? If so it is more likely the pump, specifically, you probably need to disassemble the propeller assembly and be sure the propeller and magnet are free to spin on the metal shaft, calcium will cement these two pieces together and then it may only start on high power by dragging the shaft instead of spinning on it.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump is yet to come on, I've tried a spare impeller that I had and so no dice. I believe it to be a power supply issue, can't hear the pump running out of the water even. This also happened last time I turned that pump off, also had issues when I tried to turn that pump off at night.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I am puzzled by is a dead power supply should just be dead, no light on it and it would not restart later or under any circumstances. Usually if a pump works randomly, the issue is elsewhere. It is probable that now the power supply is dead but the past incidents are most likely due to one of the following:

1) Potentiometer on the pump is turned down, this should always be at 100% when a controller is used, otherwise they overlap and the pump can be turned down too far to run and start.

2) The drive unit is siezed by calcium, the replacement should rule this out though.

3) The controller cable connection is loose or faulty, try with no controller connected to rule this out (unplug cable at the pump, a dead end cable from the pump will also cause issues).

4) The motor is failing.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no lights visible on the power supply. The RKE doesn't control the speed of the pump, only on and off this pump is connected to a Tunze controller (7092 I believe.) I have checked all connections to the Tunze controller and the 6105, the controller (7092) itself also shows no power.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The power supply is definitely dead, but I cannot confirm that is the only problem without seeing the pump. The power supplies are readily available, Amazon stocks them and you can order them on Tunze.com, part 6105.240. You would be welcome to send in the pump to be checked out.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll go ahead and order a new power supply and if the problem still persists I'll send the pump in.

Thanks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back