Things your coral vendor would like to tell you...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

osras1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As countless others who like what you write and what you say, you are very blunt. No ice cream here. Telling like it is and the best way to deal with the problem. I think its time for book writing Scott, I think it would be a best seller among both vendors and hobbyists alike. :thumb:

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder what kind of profit there might be in a business that ONLY ships livestock...with the greatest of care, of course...hmmm.

Not nearly as much as most people may think. Being in the business for nearly 12 years I have seen sooo many people try getting into the business as if it's a get rich quick type of career only to fail in a short amount of time because if was far from what they imagined.
Just think of how pricey coral can be to fill a small reef tank. Now think of the cost to fill several thousand gallons of quality coral. It's a large expense with a lot of risk. Believe it or not, coral die on is as well..

thejoshdavis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not nearly as much as most people may think. Being in the business for nearly 12 years I have seen sooo many people try getting into the business as if it's a get rich quick type of career only to fail in a short amount of time because if was far from what they imagined.
Just think of how pricey coral can be to fill a small reef tank. Now think of the cost to fill several thousand gallons of quality coral. It's a large expense with a lot of risk. Believe it or not, coral die on is as well..

Scott nailed it, as always, and Gary is spot on too. Being on both sides of this now I see the common misconception people have with coral vendors.

TWT5011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will officially be my first post to this forum... and happy to say a few kind words about Scott and his crew. I've had the best experience with Unique and Scott. I've had nice experiences with other online vendors too, but my favorite is Scott and his crew. He actually answers my phone calls, alot, to my surprise. He'll return calls and answer emails in a reasonable time (a few he hasn't returned :squigglemouth: he's busy). The imagery they use to show/sell the livestock is professional and beautiful. I'll often go to the site just to look at the images... which often turns into a purchase. I do believe the coral colors I see on the website are generally accurate. There are just too many variables (camera, water quality and movement, lighting, etc.) to assume the coral seen on their website will color up exactly the same in your tank... it's just a fact, I believe, of this hobby and one must be open to corals changing color(s). All the livestock I've received have been packaged very well, are healthy and responsive in the tank. They've gone an extra step to market themselves with adding a blue graphic to the box... which I think is smart. Some might think, why not a typical white box, and adding color is going "overboard"... to those, I say... Because of the blue graphics on the box, my FEDEX driver knows who it's from and what the contents are and takes extra care when the package is in her hands... she's mentioned seeing the box during offloading and retrieved it before it got bounced around any more... I think the blue graphics are well worth the effort and gives our livestock the best chance. The prices are fair and the shipping process is handled professionally. Often times Scott will call me to confirm delivery... which makes me feel comfortable. Lastly, Scott has handled exchanges and refunds (not a common practice) with me in a professional manner... and was extra nice enough to "hold" a specific coral for me longer than their policy allowed... it was paid for, but still in their inventory for some time. So thanks Scott... and Unique. Job well done.

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought from 5 vendors during live sales on r2r and can't say I had a bad experience with any of them they do everything they can to make sure you are happy with your purchase even for a small time buyer like me. The thing I miss are the live sales it seems like there are non live sales and eBay sales instead. I had the best time on this forum staying up 24 hours and chatting with fellow refeers plus having a chance at winning something in the drawings after now it's just throwing up a bunch of stuff for sale and I will toss something extra in the box for you just not much fun but that's just my opinion

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As countless others who like what you write and what you say, you are very blunt. No ice cream here. Telling like it is and the best way to deal with the problem. I think its time for book writing Scott, I think it would be a best seller among both vendors and hobbyists alike. :thumb:

You're too kind...I am definitely working on a book...the hard part is trying to find time in the middle of a lot of other projects...I think the book would be more fun than perhaps earth shattering..and it would be all over the place..My crazy writing style and bizarre sense of order might confuse readers..or, maybe it COULD make for a good book..hmmm..

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott nailed it, as always, and Gary is spot on too. Being on both sides of this now I see the common misconception people have with coral vendors.

It's not an easy biz to be successful in...however, like all worthwhile things, there are ways to do it, especially if you're honest and hardworking...

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will officially be my first post to this forum... and happy to say a few kind words about Scott and his crew. I've had the best experience with Unique and Scott. I've had nice experiences with other online vendors too, but my favorite is Scott and his crew. He actually answers my phone calls, alot, to my surprise. He'll return calls and answer emails in a reasonable time (a few he hasn't returned :squigglemouth: he's busy). The imagery they use to show/sell the livestock is professional and beautiful. I'll often go to the site just to look at the images... which often turns into a purchase. I do believe the coral colors I see on the website are generally accurate. There are just too many variables (camera, water quality and movement, lighting, etc.) to assume the coral seen on their website will color up exactly the same in your tank... it's just a fact, I believe, of this hobby and one must be open to corals changing color(s). All the livestock I've received have been packaged very well, are healthy and responsive in the tank. They've gone an extra step to market themselves with adding a blue graphic to the box... which I think is smart. Some might think, why not a typical white box, and adding color is going "overboard"... to those, I say... Because of the blue graphics on the box, my FEDEX driver knows who it's from and what the contents are and takes extra care when the package is in her hands... she's mentioned seeing the box during offloading and retrieved it before it got bounced around any more... I think the blue graphics are well worth the effort and gives our livestock the best chance. The prices are fair and the shipping process is handled professionally. Often times Scott will call me to confirm delivery... which makes me feel comfortable. Lastly, Scott has handled exchanges and refunds (not a common practice) with me in a professional manner... and was extra nice enough to "hold" a specific coral for me longer than their policy allowed... it was paid for, but still in their inventory for some time. So thanks Scott... and Unique. Job well done.

Thanks much for the kind words...Truly appreciated, and we're not alone...There are so many great people in this industry that it's not even funny! I'm proud that we've managed to make customers happy at Unique- as have many other vendors. The good ones just figure out a way to take care of customers all the time. The not-so-good-ones...well, they suck. And you can quote me on that!

-Scott

TWT5011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Scott... It's Terry in Houston... I'm TWT5011 here on R2R. And I do have other vendor sources... And they are great to deal with... However you're my favorite and you've always been great to me.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

“We package your order as carefully as possible. Sometimes, circumstances beyond our control conspire to damage the packaging or coral within it.â€- Believe it or not, Fed Ex, UPS, and USPS really couldn’t care less that the box says “Live Tropical Fish- Keep Warm†on the side

I had a shipper once throw my live rock in the freezer because it had perishable on the box....

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Scott... It's Terry in Houston... I'm TWT5011 here on R2R. And I do have other vendor sources... And they are great to deal with... However you're my favorite and you've always been great to me.

:smile:

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen that more and more, I like supporting ones that show me a true representation of that coral upfront. No BLUED out picks, where the white frag racks are bluish, their hands glowing blue, the whole tank washed in blue light, white frag plug glowing blue edges or hint of blue all over it. Unless that's how folks now are viewing their tanks under.

I respect those sellers that take the time to fix the digital photo to bring it back to how it would look naturally in one's tank in general compared to how it would look like if you have it under 20K radions or blasted with tons of LED.

Agree there are some really good vendors there but there is also a lot of scammers out there as well.

great post btw-

That is how all my Tanks are.

All Blue all the time.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back