Some "light" conversation- thoughts on acclimating corals to new lighting in the aquarium..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With so many sources of coral available on line these days, and so many different lighting formats, it’s more of a challenge than ever to acclimate your new purchases to your specific lighting regimen. There is, unfortunately, no single “sure fire” way to make sure that every coral that you acquire will adapt to your system; however, there are some time honored ways to give them the best possible chance.

First off, when you are coral shopping, be it online, at an LFS, hobbyist frag forums, or even the club frag swap, the very best way to start out is to simply ask the vendor what the lighting conditions are in the system in which the coral you’re purchasing comes from. You want to get as much information as possible, such as what kind of lighting, how long a photoperiod, how many watts, and how far off the surface the lighting is. In the case of LED’s, with infinite possible color and intensity settings, its easier than ever to ask the growers what his or her settings are.

Raceway shot by Michelle.jpg

Tons of coral choices- tons of possibilities!

Before you pull the trigger, and order the corals, you need to give some thought about where you will be placing your new pieces in your system. Obviously, high-light loving corals like Acropora robusta, hyacinthus, etc. need to be placed on your reef structure in an area where they will receive the most intense lighting possible. Corals such as Chalices, many Acans, and other Blastomussa generally tend to favor slightly more moderate lighting, so you need to make sure that you have a spot in your reef that you can locate the coral long term.

Assuming you have done your homework and pull the trigger, when you receive your corals, you simply don’t want to plop them down in their ultimate spot on your reef from day one, particularly if you’re utilizing a different lighting format than the vendor. Shocking the coral is an all-too-real possibility.

UC3-piece-uc-super-chalice-frag-pack-trops-overdose-stellaria-helfire-648.jpg

What kind of lighting did they come from? A key piece of the puzzle!

You can start out by placing the coral farther down on the reef structure than it will ultimately be placed, and moving it up over a period of 2-3 weeks. Alternatively, some reefers use widow screen or even light diffuser (eggcrate) underneath their lights, gradually removing it over a period of a couple of weeks, effectively ramping the light up. The only downside to this practice is that such measures affect all of the corals in the reef, which could actually prove counterproductive to the ones already settled.

You can also take measures such as raising your lighting fixture higher over the aquarium, then gradually lowering it back into its original position over 2-3 weeks or so. This is an alternative to moving a coral up the reef structure. Once again, it suffers from the downside of forcing resident corals to make adjustments as well. A trade off.

Still another method used is to manipulate or reduce your photoperiod while acclimating new corals. What do I mean? Well, let’s say your lighting period is like 10-12 hours per day, and hits it’s maximum intensity around 1PM, and runs at this level for 6 hours. You could consider reducing significantly the maximum intensity portion of your photoperiod to say, 4 hours, and then running a far more reduced intensity for the rest of the day. I sound like the proverbial “broken record”, but again keep in mind that you’ll be making the “resident” corals make some adjustments, too, to accommodate the newcomers.

strawberry-shortcake-stock-pic.jpg

It can always bounce back more easily from "LESS" light..right?

LED’s have acclimation modes, which, in theory are great, and do a lot of the fancy adjustments for you. Of course, you should consider once again the impact of such adjustments on the established “resident” corals. Seems to really be no avoiding that! Acclimation is not always a perfect science. It involves trade-offs and sometimes tough decisions. In fact, switching form another lighting format to LED requires careful consideration, and should be done slowly. Start with an intensity somewhere around 25-30% and then gradually ramp up over an extended time period, by say, 5% per week until you achieve your desired intensity, whatever that might be.

Although I keep going back to the idea that even the resident corals will have to make adjustments if you manipulate photoperiod or intensity while acclimating new corals to you system, in my experience, and the experience of many others- the trade off of slightly reducing intensity and photoperiod while acclimating new corals to your lighting is tolerated far better by all of the corals involved than by simply tossing the new coral under the current lighting and expecting it to acclimate. In other words, corals can handle periods of reduced lighting way better than they can handle radical shifts to much higher lighting intensities.

UC2inch-pink-eye-pectinia-frag-78.jpg

Err on the side of caution.

One of the most common questions we receive concerns what to do about our Acros, which come from systems illuminated by 400 watt 20k metal halides. Many aquarist are now using LED’s and wonder what the impact will be on the coral, and where to place them. The main difficulty in providing an answer is that there is no absolute answer! We simply don’t grow our Acros under LED’s, so they will be making some sort of adjustment. Do consider that LEDs are wickedly intense, and many an Acro, even coming from high-powered halides, has been essentially fried by improperly acclimating them to their new lighting regimen. Dramatic increases in PAR are quite stressful for any coral. Kind of like jumping off the plane on day one on your Hawaiian action, putting on SPF5, and then laying on the beach for 8 hours…only the consequences could prove much worse for the corals…And they can’t even roll over!

Ala Vermic 12 - February 06, 2015.jpg

Just remember, they can't move on their own!

Adjustments simply need to be made slowly, period. There is, in our experience, no real shortcut to this. You simply can’t ask an animal to make a super fast adjustment to a radically different lighting scheme and expect it to thrive. Err on the side of longer acclimation periods, IMHO!

Coral bleaching occurs for a variety of known reasons. In relation to this discussion, it occurs when a coral divests itself of its symbiotic zooxanthellae (the algae in the coral tissues that gives it color). Corals can be stressed acclimating to higher light intensities, and their rate of photosynthesis is much higher than before, causing them to be supersaturated with free radicals and free oxygen, which are toxic to the coral. The coral tries to compensate by producing chemicals that destroy the excess oxygen, but this also produces, among other things, hydrogen peroxide, which is problematic and must be eliminated by the coral. If it can’t do this quickly, out go the zooxanthellae, and the coral will simply waste away and die because it can’t produce enough energy to survive. Not good.

Spectrum IS important, too. Let’s face it- we’re in a “windex phase” in the reef hobby, with everyone seemingly fixated on providing crazy blue disco lighting in order to enjoy the fluorescence of the corals. If you can acclimate your corals to this type of light and get some growth, more power to you. The problem is that you are also asking your new corals to make yet another accommodation- a spectral change…Something that can cause the animal significant stress, so it must be done quite gradually- a tricky thing to do. And the reality is, not all lighting is “nutritious”- i.e., the spectral choices that make the corals look all pretty may not be the best ones for them -or more specifically, their resident zooxanthellae.

Corals produce pigments to protect their zooxanthella and their tissues, and radical lighting changes can alter the formation of these pigments, resulting in not only a potentially stressed-out coral, but one that may have radically different coloration than when you first purchased it! This is at least a plausible explanation for why we often see “color shift” in captive corals, generally attributed (and at least partially correctly so) to the lighting used in the aquarium.

Something to think about.

For wild corals, it’s an even rougher adjustment. You’re talking about an animal that has for eons adapted to life in a specific natural environment, with predictable and stable lighting conditions, and then suddenly, one day- BLAM! It’s yanked off of the reef, thrown in a box with other corals, held in a facility, then thrown in another box on a plane to the LA wholesalers or you coral vendor, forced to acclimate to a totally artificial lighting scheme after days in a box. Then, some time later, it’s sent on to the aquarium retailer or, if it’s lucky- to its finally home in your aquarium. That’s a LOT of adjustment that a coral has to make in a very short amount of time! An we’re only talking about lighting here!

In the end, the acclimation of corals to different lighting regimens is a completely imperfect science, fraught with gaps in our knowledge, tradeoffs, big gambles, outright guessing, and some luck. In my opinion, there is simply no real “best” way to acclimate a coral frag or colony to a new lighting regimen. The age old advice about doing it very slow is really the “best” way to accomplish this.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this somewhat controversial and impactful topic.

As always, think about the needs of your corals, make adjustments based on information- and above all-

Stay Wet.

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Last edited:

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This applies to clams, too. Most common problems with clams, other than predators and injury, is luminary and saline shock.

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check for bad words right above this pic! Great article!

Attachments

• 1423499790339.jpg
    1423499790339.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 786

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We simply don’t grow our Acros under LED’s, so they will be making some sort of adjustment. Do consider that LEDs are wickedly intense, and many an Acro, even coming from high-powered halides, has been essentially fried by improperly acclimating them to their new lighting regimen. Dramatic increases in PAR are quite stressful for any coral. Kind of like jumping off the plane on day one on your Hawaiian action, putting on SPF5, and then laying on the beach for 8 hours…only the consequences could prove much worse for the corals…And they can’t even roll over!

While it is certainly possible to have higher PAR intensity with LEDs, I'd say it is common that true PAR is similar or less than the lighting system that is being replaced. The increase in PUR (Photsynthetically Usable Radiation) is the main culprit as modern LED systems typically have more of their spectrum skewed to Violet and Blue intensity (hits a large part of the photsynthetic spectrum that corals utilize) than the typically more spread out spectrum T5 and MH. The result can be too much of a good thing and the expulsion of some, or even all, of the coral's zooxanthellae (symbiodinium).

Ralph -

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great read again Scott. I typically use a combination of "acclimation mode" on my AI LED's around 50-60% for a couple days to just let the corals recover from shipping, then physically move them around, gradually getting them to their sweet spot. Took me a while to really get the hang of the LEDS and to realize more isn't always better, especially on LPS's. Amazing the difference in color and growth when I turned them down. It's so hard to wait to get that coral just where you want it, but I've definitely learned not to rush. Takes longer to recover from too much than it does from too little when it comes to light. I think Scott told me that...............

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Scott, I've been thinking about this topic, and one possible thought would be that light acclimation could be handled in a big way during coral QT (and thus...we have another valid reason for QTing coral). I realize this won't seem reasonable to everyone, but my thought is that especially for those of us using LED's this could be a helpful process. Here's how I would do it. I'm using radions on my system which allow for an acclimation period (the acclimation program is a nice feature of radions), but I've been worried about exactly what you mention in this write-up...how will acclimating new corals effect resident corals. However, if I use a radion over my QT, then I could acclimate the new corals while in QT and in theory the acclimation of corals to my lighting once they reach the display would be limited to just finding correct placement, and the current residents wouldn't need to endure any kind of change at all.

I'm thinking that my situation with radions may seem a bit eccentric to some...who wants to drop the change to buy a radion for a QT? However, I'm thinking that if we would use the same exact lighting over our QT tanks that we use over our displays, then we could set up an acclimation to lighting in QT regardless of what kind of lights we're running. Thoughts?

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, I've been thinking about this topic, and one possible thought would be that light acclimation could be handled in a big way during coral QT (and thus...we have another valid reason for QTing coral). I realize this won't seem reasonable to everyone, but my thought is that especially for those of us using LED's this could be a helpful process. Here's how I would do it. I'm using radions on my system which allow for an acclimation period (the acclimation program is a nice feature of radions), but I've been worried about exactly what you mention in this write-up...how will acclimating new corals effect resident corals. However, if I use a radion over my QT, then I could acclimate the new corals while in QT and in theory the acclimation of corals to my lighting once they reach the display would be limited to just finding correct placement, and the current residents wouldn't need to endure any kind of change at all.

I'm thinking that my situation with radions may seem a bit eccentric to some...who wants to drop the change to buy a radion for a QT? However, I'm thinking that if we would use the same exact lighting over our QT tanks that we use over our displays, then we could set up an acclimation to lighting in QT regardless of what kind of lights we're running. Thoughts?

Nothing stupid about that idea at all! Its basically the same principle as filling the QT tank with water from the display...By doing that, you're acclimating the corals to the exact conditions they will encounter in the display tank. Expensive? Perhaps...But replacing a bunch of corals every year is not cheap, either. Good thoughts!

-Scott

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Exactly what I'm planning on doing with my current system. Gets the best of both worlds. Use the acclimation features of the LEDs (I use AI), get them used to full intensity, then you can move them higher either when in the display or in the QT, depending on your preference and setup. Also gives me a reason to get a separate frag tank, since I wouldn't want to subject the frags to the lower intensity of the acclimation stages (at least I'll try and sell that to the wife). Could be a 3 stage system, with frag racks at different height's, moving gradually higher until you find the sweet spot, then into the display when ready.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what I'm planning on doing with my current system. Gets the best of both worlds. Use the acclimation features of the LEDs (I use AI), get them used to full intensity, then you can move them higher either when in the display or in the QT, depending on your preference and setup. Also gives me a reason to get a separate frag tank, since I wouldn't want to subject the frags to the lower intensity of the acclimation stages (at least I'll try and sell that to the wife). Could be a 3 stage system, with frag racks at different height's, moving gradually higher until you find the sweet spot, then into the display when ready.

A nice idea...So you ramp up the lighting in quarantine to ultimately match the display tank lighting...really great idea!:flame:

-Scott

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing stupid about that idea at all! Its basically the same principle as filling the QT tank with water from the display...By doing that, you're acclimating the corals to the exact conditions they will encounter in the display tank. Expensive? Perhaps...But replacing a bunch of corals every year is not cheap, either. Good thoughts!

-Scott
If you're going to do water changes anyway, why not use the display water, and just fill the display with new? XD I do that for my fish QT. I really don't have a suitable coral QT so they get a good stiff dip in Bayer before being added.

As mentioned in another of your threads, my shortcake developed a problem which I attribute to the LED switch. :/ Hopefully it heals up fine.

On a side note, I have read of nice acans turning a uniform and kind of unattractive brick red under LEDs, but the ones you gave me have not - and are growing like weeds, I might add! :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to do water changes anyway, why not use the display water, and just fill the display with new? XD I do that for my fish QT. I really don't have a suitable coral QT so they get a good stiff dip in Bayer before being added.

As mentioned in another of your threads, my shortcake developed a problem which I attribute to the LED switch. :/ Hopefully it heals up fine.

On a side note, I have read of nice acans turning a uniform and kind of unattractive brick red under LEDs, but the ones you gave me have not - and are growing like weeds, I might add! :D
The expression "Acans growing like weeds" is enough to make any Acan fanatic's heart skip a beat! LOL

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mdbannister, I have considered doing the same thing over my qt. I have wondered the same thing. Get the coral after all it goes through, qt with one type of light, then not the tank with led. Seems like a major change and it would inhibit stability and growth.

Great write up Scott!

Back