The Seneye PAR Meter

wrfreeman

Wade
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used this meter or know anyone that has? This might be a good club purchase.

http://reefradiance.com/seneye-reef-par-meter.html

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, and I'm diggin mine. Have mapped out my whole tank PAR wise and found that the'Sweet Spot' in my system is 250-350 for most of the Corals. The built in Kelvin meter does not measure the LED's very well because of the excessive Blue spectrum but occasionally will get readings from bottom of the tank. To make taking the PAR readings easier I used a long handled pair of hemostats with a short length of 1/4" slit tubing to protect its cord and provide support. I plan to fabricate an acrylic handle for it soon and will post a thread in the DIY forum.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
wrfreeman

wrfreeman

Wade
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Yeah I'm only interested in the PAR meter functionality and how that works with LEDs so I'm glad to hear it's working well for you. Do you use LEDs?

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have a full/broad spectrum DIY array of my design that's been running about 2.5 years now. You will really like the Seneye unit for its spectral graphing as well, showing the breakdown of the spectrum and not just a digital readout.

Cheers, Todd

kpiotrowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todd, did you purchase the seneye mostly for the par meter or do you find any value with the rest of its features. how about accuracy? I was looking at this about 6 months ago and put it into the "to good to be true category".
thanks!

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Kevin, mostly for the PAR/Kelvin meter and found I really like the Spectral graphing just as much. As a stand alone monitor don't use it because of having an Apex already but could see using it in my Frag tank since not connected to my DT. The optical sensor seems at least as accurate if not more than the Apogee for our hobby application since it is more of a directional lens and not as affected by ambient light outside of aquarium. For the money is a GREAT investment for sure.

Cheers, Todd

kpiotrowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with light sensor what can I expect to pay? I see one new on ebay for $169 but that seem cheap. it reads "SENEYE REEF MONITORING SYSTEM AND PAR METER"

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with light sensor what can I expect to pay? I see one new on ebay for $169 but that seem cheap. it reads "SENEYE REEF MONITORING SYSTEM AND PAR METER"

Yes, Rick sells them for $169 normally. Though sometimes has specials on them as when I picked mine up. Just one more example of Reef Radiance "Product Value". I've been super busy of late and have not had time to fully map out my Reef PAR wise and post up in my build thread.

Cheers, Todd

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back