• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Rhizo

mdiesel

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding of rhizos ( please correct me if I'm wrong or have more info ) is that they are illegal to collect and to export . The Japanese ones were banned first and are the hardiest and have the most coloration . Then the Indos and as we all know anything indo in most cases is over farmed resulting in the collector going into deeper water to collect these species . We see this all the time with the common elegance coral . Why an Australian costs more and sometimes is the same color is due to the success rate and them collecting them in waters where they are commonly found, not overly collected, and do not go down to greater depths resulting in a " deep water elegance " which almost all Indos are nowadays . Back to the rhizos, again my understanding may not be correct but they are illegal to collect and export import . However, once they hit the desired destination wether it be the states or Canada they're are no laws concerning ownership or sales of rhizos once Aqquaried . Being an avid dendro collector and owning a few rhizos years back I have noticed something about both corals that are the same . Australian dendros rarely open for people unless theyre is an excess of nutrients in the water or actual food . Where Indos always are open . You can tell the difference between an Aussie an indo based on the groove thickness , separation, and texture . Now with rhizos I have noticed the same thing except for Indos act as Australian dendros and do not open much unless excess nutrients and actual food in water where the coined Japanese rhizos stay open no matter what . With dendros I have mostly Indos with a few mini colonies of Australians as well. I have both variants under direct lighting and they stay open all day and night . Even though they are non photosynthetic does not mean they do not like the light it just means they do not photosynthesize. However , being that their skeletons are composed of calcium and phosphorus I think it's critical for skeletal growth for dendros to not be in a shaded area with low flow . That's just my experience though. The only time my dendros completely close is after I offer them pellets, freeze dried plankton, or krill them they shoot shut. With the rhizos i had my Japanese would stay open all the time and Indos only open if their was food in the water . I had them in low flow high flow low light and full light and noticed the same thing with the Indos as they barely lived let alone thrived like the Japanese . Finding a rhizo locally again to my knowledge will land you in no trouble except for the demand they require in your aquarium . Overall, if you are lucky to find a healthy Japanese specimen it's gonna cost you inbetween 3-6 hundred and Indos aren't much cheaper . They are a organism that is best left in the ocean unless you have the time and knowledge and aquarium suitable for one . So please do not purchase these beautiful organisms illegally as you will just support them vanishing from this earth completely . Please buy local and only look local if your looking to obtain one . Again , I can not express enough this is just my opinion and what I have researched and have actually seen first hand by owning them years ago . In by no means am I giving legal advice or saying it is ok to still purchase them . Last time I heard this was the rule of thumb so to speak of purchasing one . Please do your research on them if you run into purchasing one legally . If you have any questions , todd and brett who own and operate cherrycorals in Livonia michigan have sold them years and years ago when they were legal and maybe they can answer your questions as they know their corals and I consider todd to be an expert on current laws and nps.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back