Best Zoanthid Food - Reef Roids, Coral Frenzy, Reef Chili, Reef Snow, Zoo Plankton, Phyto Plankton,

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I found out that I am getting Super Slow Growth with my Zoanthids and was told to feed them.

I usually get one Polyp a Month if I am Lucky.

But I was told if you do not get Double the Polyp Count Every Month than your Growth is Slow. So 2 Polyps to 4, 10 Polyps to 20, etc. Every Month.

But what is the best thing to give them?

I have come across these Foods.

Reef Roids
Coral Frenzy
Reef Chili
Zoo Plankton
Phyto Plankton
Reef Snow

Which of those is the Best?

If there is something better please let me know.

I tried Reef Roids once but none of the Zoanthids even Closed up so I do not think they even Eat Reef Roids. I bought it because somebody said they used it.

I was also told to Dose Vitamin-C and Iodine.

I guess Zoanthids love both of those?

Was I told the wrong info?

Please let me know any information that you have on Feeding Zoanthids for Increased Growth.

What you use?
How much do you use?
How Often do you use it?

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody ever notice any added Algae Problems from using Reef Roids or any other Similar Powdered Foods like Coral Frenzy and Reef Chili?

TheNowMovement

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have absolutely no experience with the products youve mentions above, but there is one thing i tried by chance, and Ive gotten 4 more polyps in the past 2 weeks... The stuff i use is called Selcon... Its in a pink bottle, pink solution... basically its a whole bunch of just raw nutrients, and most importantly, it has HUFA (highly unsaturated fatty acids) in it... which i think they tend to like... some zoas wont have a big feeding response, so for those Im not sure if it works, but i keep putting a diluted amount along with my mysis shrimp to boost the fish's immune system, as well as feed my zoas and palys... I use one full "syringe" of the stuff per feeding, and i dilute it after its soaked into my mysis shrimp well... I then use a turkey baster to blow the HUFA stuff all over the zoas/palys... Its great for soo many other things, it stays in your system to feed filter feeding inverts and corals... it boosts fishes immune systems, the ingredients are simple... i love the stuff! Its a little pricey for me, being that i have a limited budget... but its worth its weight in gold!

Scribe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I use most of these on an alternating basis. I can't say I've noticed a huge difference in polyp growth, but I only feed about once a month.

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding Coral Frenzy for years..... I do not broadcast feed in my tank. I just spot feed the colonies every couple of days... It is great stuff

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use frozen foods like mysis and prime reef. the palys will eat big pieces and do reproduce well. I use a turkey baster to feed them. I spray the finer particles, (cloudy water) on the zoas. They don't show a response like the palys but most of them are doing well also. I feed 1-2 times a week. I have found that the palys really love to eat and grow much faster when fed. There's a you tube video about feeding zoas and palys by a guy named Than. Good video.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My magician paly ate some new era coral pellets and now has fat rolls, but still won't grow :frusty:

Last edited:

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine eat but don't really grow. I have super duper slow growth.

zybergoby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When ever Reefcleaners.org has it I buy there filter feeder formula in bulk. Its like crack for corals and feathers .

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine grow well and I never feed them other than what they get from my fish.

dannyab84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I use Seachem reef Plus and Reef roids mixed together in a high flow area every other week. The reason I use them every other week is because of like you said I get algea issues too. however, one of the biggest imporvments I had was feeding my fish a Salmon dry food that I can get the name of when I get home if you'd like. The salmon gives off an oil that I see my Palys resond to when I target feed. The oil seems to get get skimmed out very easily so feeding daily does not give a negitive effect on the algea issues I face. Because the oil seems be skimmed out quickly I normally soak the food in tank water then dump it in a high flow area to push it over the zoanthids and other corals. I hope that helps and I think any Salmon would work but, I will get the name of the product when I get home.

Clayalaleona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use live phyto, reef snow, reef chili and fuel. I can honestly say that with it my growth has exploded. Since I started all of them at the same time I cannot tell you which individual food has given me the best results but as a combo they work excellently.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back