Which zoa/paly morphs are melters?

• Total voters

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like for this to be a resource for new collectors who are looking to keep hardier polyps and might want to avoid difficult to keep morphs. I obviously cant include every color morph, but I tried to include the more popular ones (that are known melters) and broke the others down by region.

Please vote for the morphs that HAVE MELTED under your care. Try to use good judgement. If you suspect that the loss may be due husbandry, poor shipping, sloppy fragging, etc. then dont vote.

Thanks for your participation!

Last edited:

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nightmares are the only ones that truely melted on me but asternia's cause problems with other colonies from time to time.

OP
OP
Akwarius

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah nightmares are finicky. it looks like mauls have burned a lot of people!

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a frag of Darth Mauls turn into a colony of 100+ polyps, then just melted away. I've tried a couple more frags of them and can't seem to keep them from melting. Have trouble with nightmares, and my frag of sopranos did great and went from 6 to 15 polyps quickly, but then melted just as quick.

I know you mentioned sloppy fragging could be a cause, but I'd like to add that even though one might frag a colony with great precision and care, some z/p colonies will simply melt away once you frag them. I've heard Rastas do this, but I've never had a problem with my colony.

Chong

The Chronic Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
african blue steel, tried twice with two frags and both melted away within a week.

OP
OP
Akwarius

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a frag of Darth Mauls turn into a colony of 100+ polyps, then just melted away. I've tried a couple more frags of them and can't seem to keep them from melting. Have trouble with nightmares, and my frag of sopranos did great and went from 6 to 15 polyps quickly, but then melted just as quick.

I know you mentioned sloppy fragging could be a cause, but I'd like to add that even though one might frag a colony with great precision and care, some z/p colonies will simply melt away once you frag them. I've heard Rastas do this, but I've never had a problem with my colony.

It's such a cruel joke when zoas multiply rapidly then melt. That's why I get really nervous when a colony starts to thrive.

OP
OP
Akwarius

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to put pink zippers and rose nebula on the list. I've had those melt as well.

OP
OP
Akwarius

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang I forgot to put bloodshots, wows, and pink elephants on the list. Pink elephants do well for me, wows melt, and I've never had bloodshots but I hear they're finicky.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine arent on the list but i figured i would mention them - Raptors Rainbows. They were slow growers and eventually just melted away.

rosco_068

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vampires and Red Halos can be added to your list too. My colony of vampires melted after fragging.

Last edited:

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say Soprano is the faster melting zoa I have had and seen melt away

viper1972

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost every zoanthid I have tried melted, untill I tried a smaller tank. For some reason when I set up a 16 gallon bowfront with just HO filter and PC light every zoanthid or paly I put in there grew like crazy. Especially the deepwater zoanthids. I could not keep them from spreading. My nukes was awesome. Then I moved and did not have time to mess with it and got rid of it and all the coral. Now I got a 46 bowfront and can not keep a zoanthid from melting, but my ricordea look great and open everyday just great. I also have good luck with LPS. Duncans grow like crazy.

OP
OP
Akwarius

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Viper, that's a mystery. Perhaps the water chemistry or flow was more favorable for zoantthids in your nano.

Back