Goose's IM 14 Peninsula - Upgrade Loading..

OP
OP
PocketGoose

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of your pictures are stunning. The tank looks great! Did you figure out your problem with the zoas?
I literally have no clue. Weird that some are always fine. Appreciate the kind words on the photos.

The morphs that don't do well generally follow the same pattern: Close up tightly/shrink and then lose color. As a precursor, the skirts start to pinch and they usually go down hill from there. They never melt away completely though and generally open back up for awhile..then repeat.

The amount of nutrient fluctuation in this tank is absurd and that's what I've been putting my finger on. For the past 2-3 months I've had a cyano outbreak mixed with some dinos - a clear sign there is imbalance. Now that it is clearing up I'm hoping things will stabilize. My WWC God of Wars and "Fireballs" have looked better as the cyano/dinos have reduced...We'll see. I also had a ricordea bleach in this time span. Not really sure what happened there or if there is any correlation.

I do have outbreaks of hydroids from time to time, my emerald crab usually keeps them under control though.

I have thought about some sort of bacterial infection. Wouldn't know where to begin with that though.

Last time I ran an ICP test and these morphs were displaying similar behavior, the only thing that came back negative was my iodine levels and I'm not sold on that. I'll run another after Christmas I think.

You can kind of see what I'm talking about to the right of the chalice in this pic, and this is the "recovery" phase Those two frags were closed on/off for months.

Untitled by Tyler Duplaga, on Flickr

OP
OP
PocketGoose

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Down From a few days ago:

This has got to be a ROAB purple Digi right? It was sold to me as a tubbs stellata via online auction but I have my doubts. This was almost a year ago and the more it grows the more it screams digi.

A dang asterina took down my one and only miami vice zoa polyp...got it for real cheap too. Literally could have chosen any other frag...no starfish is welcome now :(

OP
OP
PocketGoose

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pics ;)
9248CBC2-3FF7-4B67-86FA-2E12870BEF9E.jpeg
DSC08352.jpeg
DSC08379.jpeg
DSC08182.jpeg
DSC08386.jpeg

I’m hitting a bit of a lull as of late. Some things are doing great while others are so so. Touch of Dinos, nutrient imbalance, and slight alk fluctuations…gooood times.

Since the start of this tank I’ve had minor outbreaks of these tiny little hydroids. Just picked up a peppermint shrimp to hopefully help…while not acquiring a taste for any of the related expensive hydrozoan cousins..

Switched the mg dosing line to a4r. The kalk wasn’t keeping up..

I’ve got WWC jawbreaker monti cap frags too if anybody wants one.

OP
OP
PocketGoose

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day one done with the pep, no coral damage. Hydroids being consumed, 1 of 4 aptasia gone.

I forgot to mention, I was also able to get my hands on some Florida ceriths yesterday - which I prefer to the Mexican ceriths. Little bit smaller and I like their shells better too. This is not confirmed but if I’m remembering correctly I think there is some evidence that they are a little bit hardier? (Could totally be the Mexican variety for all I know) I should have bought ten but I got six..well five and a nassarius snail..dude at the LFS couldn’t tell the difference I guess…oddly enough they never make an appearance at most of the stores around me..in Florida…

Anyway I’ll probably put in an order with reef cleaners at some point. Dude charged me 2.99 for a 1/4 inch snail…

OP
OP
PocketGoose

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added the Aquamaxx Bullet-1. After the pump went on the bubble magus, I decided I needed something that I can easily find if I ever needed a new pump. This thing is a beats, minimal break-in..0 microbubbles.

I think the tank is starting to settle back in, peppermint shrimp is behaving :), alk is stabilizing. I'm trying to maintain a consistent import/export schedule as of late.

Current State:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added the Aquamaxx Bullet-1. After the pump went on the bubble magus, I decided I needed something that I can easily find if I ever needed a new pump. This thing is a beats, minimal break-in..0 microbubbles.

I think the tank is starting to settle back in, peppermint shrimp is behaving :), alk is stabilizing. I'm trying to maintain a consistent import/export schedule as of late.

Current State:

Glad to see your tank is still going strong!

OP
OP
PocketGoose

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somehow I missed that my alveopora was missing..for like three days. I was browsing IG and looked a few photos of some goni's and I was like dang, I don't remember seeing mine recently...fell into the cave pit and I fished it back out last night. Anybody ever just forget their corals lol?

Doesn't look too bad today!

OP
OP
PocketGoose

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read your whole thread, Tank looks great what camera are you using? Also I say make the plunge and get a bigger tank why not lol

Well I appreciate it,

The good pics are shot on a Sony a7iii with a 24-70mm 2.8. Really need to invest in a solid filter for that thing - my camera kit is really set up for outdoor stuff, used to run media company (fishing, hunting) with a good friend of mine. Probably gonna sell off a lens or two and scoop a macro.

I’d like to upgrade eventually, not too big though. Probably no more than 35 gallons. This little box is humming pretty good right now and I don’t wanna make any drastic changes..although it would be nice to have a few more fish..at this point it’s almost inevitable.

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I appreciate it,

The good pics are shot on a Sony a7iii with a 24-70mm 2.8. Really need to invest in a solid filter for that thing - my camera kit is really set up for outdoor stuff, used to run media company (fishing, hunting) with a good friend of mine. Probably gonna sell off a lens or two and scoop a macro.

I’d like to upgrade eventually, not too big though. Probably no more than 35 gallons. This little box is humming pretty good right now and I don’t wanna make any drastic changes..although it would be nice to have a few more fish..at this point it’s almost inevitable.
Yeah I get that don't fix what aint broke. I think the pics look great. You ever think about adding a clam to the tank?

OP
OP
PocketGoose

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I get that don't fix what aint broke. I think the pics look great. You ever think about adding a clam to the tank?
Mmm, once in awhile. I think they're really gorgeous - I've just never kept one before. I maybe could get away with a small one. My LFS usually doesn't carry any too. Not sure how they ship.

ahosel10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread. One of my favorites on this site. You’re a few months (and bunch of corals) ahead of me in your reefing journey, but would like my Fluval 13.5 to evolve similarly.

OP
OP
PocketGoose

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread. One of my favorites on this site. You’re a few months (and bunch of corals) ahead of me in your reefing journey, but would like my Fluval 13.5 to evolve similarly.
Thank you so much! I like those evo tanks a lot. Are you planning on starting a build thread?? Shoot depending on where you are located I need to do some house keeping on corals and you're more than welcome to some frags!

ahosel10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should do a build thread. I document everything, but never got around to putting it on here.

I’m located in NC. Been moving slow with my corals. Recently made the jump to LPS. Getting accustomed to dosing and learning the trends on my tank.

Since starting my tank I’ve put more focus into fish than corals. I wanted a fish that I considered memorizing, so I went out and bought a green spotted mandarin. With that came culturing a food source. I read up and determined that white worms were the move. So, what I lack in beautiful corals, I make up for it with worm colonies and a fat little mandarin. LOL

OP
OP
PocketGoose

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should do a build thread. I document everything, but never got around to putting it on here.

I’m located in NC. Been moving slow with my corals. Recently made the jump to LPS. Getting accustomed to dosing and learning the trends on my tank.

Since starting my tank I’ve put more focus into fish than corals. I wanted a fish that I considered memorizing, so I went out and bought a green spotted mandarin. With that came culturing a food source. I read up and determined that white worms were the move. So, what I lack in beautiful corals, I make up for it with worm colonies and a fat little mandarin. LOL
I love mandarins, I had one in old 45 gallon setup that actually ate frozen mysis. One of the coolest fish in the hobby!

I like your style, as everyone else says patience goes a long way in this hobby. Sounds to me like you're moving right along!

OP
OP
PocketGoose

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back