tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you need a camera for a stakeout :)
I've been thinking about adding another security camera pointed at the tank so that I can see it when I'm not in the living room/foyer. My cameras have some AI detection for people/vehicles/animals but I doubt it will work for fish-eating-coral.

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a shot of the Mystic Sunset, the colors are a quite muted in the shot but you can see the damage. It could be MEN but it is a little soon if it came in with the new acquisitions and a little late for the last batch plus it doesn't look like the typical MEN damage I've seen in the past.

MSM-20240511.jpg

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I was at it I took shots of the new corals/fish.

The CBB and Bristletooth. The CBB hasn't eaten yet but I'm still hoping.
CBB_Bristle-20240511.jpg

The Bubblegum Digi.
Bubblegum-20140511.jpg

The TSA Deep Love Goni.
Red_Goni-20240511.jpg

The green Goni.
G_Goni-20240511.jpg

The new Beach Bum
BB3-20240511.jpg

and a general shot of the center of the tank.
3-4_TS-20140511.jpg

Last edited:

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here's a shot of the Mystic Sunset, the colors are a quite muted in the shot but you can see the damage. It could be MEN but it is a little soon if it came in with the new acquisitions and a little late for the last batch plus it doesn't look like the typical MEN damage I've seen in the past.

MSM-20240511.jpg
When I had the Monti Eating Nudibranches it was less noticable at first and then everything went fast!

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I was at it I took shots of the new corals/fish.

The CBB and Bristletooth. The CBB hasn't eaten yet but I'm still hoping.
CBB_Bristle-20240511.jpg

The Bubblegum Digi.
Bubblegum-20140511.jpg

The TSA Deep Love Goni.
Red_Goni-20240511.jpg

The green Goni.
G_Goni-20240511.jpg

The new Beach Bum
BB3-20240511.jpg

and a general shot of the center of the tank.
3-4_TS-20140511.jpg
Tank is looking good, starting to feel busier and more filled in as you’ve been adding lately. Love the Copperband. That’s one I’ve always wanted to try but never had a big enough tank. Plus difficult to get eating as you said. What kind of bristletooth did you get? Any pics of it yet?

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking good, starting to feel busier and more filled in as you’ve been adding lately. Love the Copperband. That’s one I’ve always wanted to try but never had a big enough tank. Plus difficult to get eating as you said. What kind of bristletooth did you get? Any pics of it yet?
You can see the Bristletooth in the pic with the CBB he is at the far right. Not easy to get a pic as he is quick and camera shy. Not sure what kind it is. It was just listed as a Bristletooth. Looks kind of like a Square Tail to me but hard to tell yet.

I haven't had a Copperband in decades and I'm not sure I'll have this one long. It is actually a lot like fish I got long long ago that had been caught with Cyanide. I hope I'm wrong.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see the Bristletooth in the pic with the CBB he is at the far right. Not easy to get a pic as he is quick and camera shy. Not sure what kind it is. It was just listed as a Bristletooth. Looks kind of like a Square Tail to me but hard to tell yet.

I haven't had a Copperband in decades and I'm not sure I'll have this one long. It is actually a lot like fish I got long long ago that had been caught with Cyanide. I hope I'm wrong.
I’m having a good thought for you on the Copperband. I hope it takes to some type of food soon. Any of your lfs have live brine?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m having a good thought for you on the Copperband. I hope it takes to some type of food soon. Any of your lfs have live brine?
We've got even better here in AZ, we've got Reef Chowda! It's a mix of brine, pods, rotifers, and phyto.

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same day I got the Copperband I picked up some 'Reef Chowda' from that LFS and it contains phyto, live brine, rotifers and unspecified pods. The next day I picked up some 'Monster Stew' that contains live brine, rotifers, unspecified pods and a different phyto and some Reef Nutrition Artic Pods which are a liquid pod mix similar to Nyos Gold Pods which is one my my got to LPS foods, when I can get it. I also have some copepods and amphipods in the tank along with a gourmet selection of USDA Prime aiptasia.

So since the Copperband arrived it has been presented with live brine, live pods, live aiptasia, frozen brine, frozen Mysis, Oyster Feast, R.O.E, Artic Pods, TDO pellets, and Spirulina pellets. Oh and LRS Reef Frenzy Nano and Rod's Foods.

The Copperband does seem to be doing some hunting. It thoroughly ticked off one of the Trochus and it has been pecking at the rocks here and there so there is hope and it is not skinny yet. I know they can be real pigs, which is the main theme of my tank, once you get them eating. You reminded me though of one other foods I may try. If the CBB isn't openly eating by Tuesday, I'll order in some Tigger Pods. I only buy them once or twice a year as a treat as the tank goes nuts for them, especially the Firefish.

Speaking of the Firefish, it went into hiding when I added the new fish, popped out once Friday afternoon and hasn't been seen since. I'm sure it is snuggling in the small cave with the Black Ray. They're buds.

The CBB didn't seem to have a place to sleep last night so I threw in, well placed carefully anyway, two hunks of STAX to create a temporary ledge in the right hand center channel.

This morning when I looked in the tank I didn't see any fish, not even the Foxface that is usually hanging out near the Beach Bums. Suddenly the CBB popped out of the crevice that is a side entrance to the Foxface's old cave (it has gotten too wide to be comfortable in it apparently) followed by the Bristletooth.

I sure hope the CBB works out as it is already a family favorite (except our dog who use to like helping with the tanks but now gets ticked off that when I get out of bed I say 'Oh boy let's play with the corals' instead of 'Here Boy, Good Dog'). It photo bombs constantly and comes right over to the panes when you go up to the tank. I used a flashlight this morning to look around in the tank and the CBB kept jumping into the beam to make sure I saw it.

I'll be looking into some scape modifications probably later today.

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've got even better here in AZ, we've got Reef Chowda! It's a mix of brine, pods, rotifers, and phyto.
I picked some 'Reef Chowda' up when I bought the CBB. I like that store. We do have a good selection of live food blends available here. I think the guy that was breeding Clownfish back around 2000 started it by offering 'Reef Stew' at a bunch of LFSs in the valley. When he sold the business the blend changed but it was still available. Now there are bunch of different blends around. 'Monster Stew' comes from California and is re-cultured here, Kona has a home-grown rotifer blend and a pod blend, I don't know if Aquaholics make their own or not but they have their 'Reef Chowda' and something else but I forget what it was, Discount has their own pod/phyto blend and Artistic Aquariums and presumably Only Fins has 'Reef Stew or at least they did last time I was there. It seems that most of our LFSs have some live phyto/pod/brine mix available.

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had the Monti Eating Nudibranches it was less noticable at first and then everything went fast!
I agree. When I had them it started very slowly around the edges of a monti cap, then there were indistinct white blotches on the coral, then it was on most of the montis, then the montis were gone.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I picked some 'Reef Chowda' up when I bought the CBB. I like that store. We do have a good selection of live food blends available here. I think the guy that was breeding Clownfish back around 2000 started it by offering 'Reef Stew' at a bunch of LFSs in the valley. When he sold the business the blend changed but it was still available. Now there are bunch of different blends around. 'Monster Stew' comes from California and is re-cultured here, Kona has a home-grown rotifer blend and a pod blend, I don't know if Aquaholics make their own or not but they have their 'Reef Chowda' and something else but I forget what it was, Discount has their own pod/phyto blend and Artistic Aquariums and presumably Only Fins has 'Reef Stew or at least they did last time I was there. It seems that most of our LFSs have some live phyto/pod/brine mix available.
Aquaholics uses Reef Chowda. Bill Bramucci's son-in-law bought Reef Stew and renamed it since he's from Boston.

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquaholics uses Reef Chowda. Bill Bramucci's son-in-law bought Reef Stew and renamed it since he's from Boston.
Thanks. I knew it changed hands but couldn't remember who bought it. So 'Reef Chowda' is the new 'Reef Stew'? It seems the blend has a better phyto blend than the original mix.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same day I got the Copperband I picked up some 'Reef Chowda' from that LFS and it contains phyto, live brine, rotifers and unspecified pods. The next day I picked up some 'Monster Stew' that contains live brine, rotifers, unspecified pods and a different phyto and some Reef Nutrition Artic Pods which are a liquid pod mix similar to Nyos Gold Pods which is one my my got to LPS foods, when I can get it. I also have some copepods and amphipods in the tank along with a gourmet selection of USDA Prime aiptasia.

So since the Copperband arrived it has been presented with live brine, live pods, live aiptasia, frozen brine, frozen Mysis, Oyster Feast, R.O.E, Artic Pods, TDO pellets, and Spirulina pellets. Oh and LRS Reef Frenzy Nano and Rod's Foods.

The Copperband does seem to be doing some hunting. It thoroughly ticked off one of the Trochus and it has been pecking at the rocks here and there so there is hope and it is not skinny yet. I know they can be real pigs, which is the main theme of my tank, once you get them eating. You reminded me though of one other foods I may try. If the CBB isn't openly eating by Tuesday, I'll order in some Tigger Pods. I only buy them once or twice a year as a treat as the tank goes nuts for them, especially the Firefish.

Speaking of the Firefish, it went into hiding when I added the new fish, popped out once Friday afternoon and hasn't been seen since. I'm sure it is snuggling in the small cave with the Black Ray. They're buds.

The CBB didn't seem to have a place to sleep last night so I threw in, well placed carefully anyway, two hunks of STAX to create a temporary ledge in the right hand center channel.

This morning when I looked in the tank I didn't see any fish, not even the Foxface that is usually hanging out near the Beach Bums. Suddenly the CBB popped out of the crevice that is a side entrance to the Foxface's old cave (it has gotten too wide to be comfortable in it apparently) followed by the Bristletooth.

I sure hope the CBB works out as it is already a family favorite (except our dog who use to like helping with the tanks but now gets ticked off that when I get out of bed I say 'Oh boy let's play with the corals' instead of 'Here Boy, Good Dog'). It photo bombs constantly and comes right over to the panes when you go up to the tank. I used a flashlight this morning to look around in the tank and the CBB kept jumping into the beam to make sure I saw it.

I'll be looking into some scape modifications probably later today.
Wow, I wish we had anything at all like Reef Chowda around here. I think my only choice would be to drive about 40 miles for some live brine. Not really gonna do that too much.

Pay attention to that dog!! Your fish will not love on you the way that dog will. Here’s mine. They’re the best.
IMG_0712.jpeg

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I wish we had anything at all like Reef Chowda around here. I think my only choice would be to drive about 40 miles for some live brine. Not really gonna do that too much.

Pay attention to that dog!! Your fish will not love on you the way that dog will. Here’s mine. They’re the best.
IMG_0712.jpeg
Nice looking dogs.

My only truly LFS doesn't carry any live feed as he can't sell even a minimum quantity from the suppliers so I buy it from my other 'LFSs' all of which are at least 45 minutes away or more.

Here is Max, a Tibetan Terrier that was abandoned or lost behind a Home Depot. The photo is about 4 years old as he won't let us take his picture any longer since he had his tail amputated.

Max.jpg

He's a great dog and he makes me laugh every day. He used to 'help' when I worked on the tank but lately looks at me like I'm supposed to be feeding him instead of the corals.

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update.

The CBB does appear to be eating something, probably pods. All of the fish are getting along well with the exception of the CBB and Firefish. Whenever the Firefish comes out the CBB goes to chase it but the Firefish dives back to safety.

The weird thing is the CBB keeps going over and laying over to get a good look into the cave that the Black Ray and Firefish share. I'm not sure if its trying to get to the Firefish or if it has found a source of food there as it does seem to peck around by the opening.

I did a temporary change to the scape to add a ledge that the fish can swim under.

Temp_Solution-20240512.jpg

Not pretty but it seems to please the fish. I don't think the Tubbs will be happy though as it is one of the lower light areas in the tank (between the primes).

OP
OP
tharbin

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A question about Berghia Nudibranchs. If you have bought any did they look just like the pictures I've seen with lots of fine cerata? This is going to seem nuts but I woke up this morning thinking about the Mystic Sunset in my tank. The two Berghia I introduced on Thursday came from a well-known coral farm so I can't believe I'm thinking this but I remember that when I dropped them in I thought how one of them looked just like MEN with just a few large cerata. I'm not sure anymore what the other one looked like but I think it was 'fuzzier' The nudibranchs were tiny, only about 1/2" long. The thing is it dawned on me this morning that one of the nudibranchs, the one that reminded me of a MEN, landed on the same rock where the Mystic Sunset is and only a few inches from it. That was on Thursday. This was the monti on Saturday morning:

MSM-20240511.jpg

It sounds like paranoia but now I'm wondering. I've been watching the two new fish, the CBB and the bristletooth and neither of them have seemed to show any interest in the Mystic Sunset. I had a MEN outbreak back in 2006 and I don't want to go through that again.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
MEN.... Monti Eating Nudibranch... That explains sooooooo much.
IMG_20220826_084802326~2.jpg

Not sure where they came from.
Hard to see in the picture but here's one of mine from the old 75. Interestingly enough, this is on my Mystic Sunset.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 29 16.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 71 41.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 37 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 5.8%
Back