Seeding Dry Rock and A Deep Sand Bed

The Flying Turkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say I've chosen the most complicated and variable hobby ever, but I'm excited to get started.

I'm building my first reef aquarium and I'm going to start off with Dry rock and dry sand. I'll be adding 2-3 live rocks to seed it. I'm also planning on a 4" deep sand bed, but I'm buying dry sand.

What is the best way to "seed" my dry rock? What is the best way to "seed" my deep sand bed?

Should I add anything in addition to the live rock to begin the cycle?

Another question I have is, once the cycle is complete with so little live rock, should I add a CUC right away or wait? Or should I add the CUC with one or two fish at the same time?

I know it will take a while for the the dry rock to become "live" so is there anything I should be aware of or do while the rock and sand are becoming live?

Thanks for the help!

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds to me like you are already on the right track. The two or 3 live rocks you add will seed both your sand and dry rock. I'd add a CUC when you start seeing algae after the cycle is complete.

OP
OP
The Flying Turkey

The Flying Turkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds to me like you are already on the right track. The two or 3 live rocks you add will seed both your sand and dry rock. I'd add a CUC when you start seeing algae after the cycle is complete.

Should I run the skimmer and use filter floss and Chemi Pure during the cycle?

tanked37

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I run the skimmer and use filter floss and Chemi Pure during the cycle?

You can run the skimmer. I'd probably save the money and hold on to the Chemi Pure until it's finished; however, if you don't really care, then sure, add the Chemi Pure.

OP
OP
The Flying Turkey

The Flying Turkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do care, it's tough trying to get into this hobby on a tight budget. I'll run the skimmer and save the Chemi Pure for after.

OP
OP
The Flying Turkey

The Flying Turkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run the skimmer. I'd probably save the money and hold on to the Chemi Pure until it's finished; however, if you don't really care, then sure, add the Chemi Pure.

I have another question. When should I start up the refugium? After the cycle?

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you start to see some nitrate would be a good time to start a fuge. As far as sand goes, I have had great results with aragalive. But seeding with a couple live rocks will do the trick. I always feed the rock a little bit of mysis or any other fish foods.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back