Everything is too High!

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been getting my water from the LFS, and it is obviously mixed with some super high grade salt. I have just starting really testing for Cal, Mag, Alk on a regular basis, and the results are as follows:

Cal - 525-550 (My test only goes to 500, so I'm guessing a bit)
Mag - 1650
Alk 8-9 which is cool
Salinity 1.026
ph 7.9-8.0

Should I be concerned with my Cal/Mag levels being this high?

It looks to me that I will begin mixing my water, as I am firm believer in regular water changes, but obviously don't need my mix to be that concentrated.

angrycubano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
better not be since I get my water from the same place. My Mag shows the same as yours but my Cal shows 420. My salinity and PH test about the same so we may need a different test kit from what we're using to make sure it's all good.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my ca at 480-500 and my Mg at 1600 ish all the time. My tank seems to love it. I know the chalices love the high Mg.....

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does your water test right when you pick it up?
That's a very good question. I have never run test for mag/cal on the water. Ive only tested for phosphates before. I'll have to check that out next time.

@Dave3112 That's interesting, I was all worried, thinking they were way too high. I am just going by what the typical sources say your params should be at. So there is nothing detrimental that could happen from these high levels?

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say for certain that there is NOTHING detrimental about it. But I have had mine there for almost a year now and everything is alive and well and growing VERY well.

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say for certain that there is NOTHING detrimental about it. But I have had mine there for almost a year now and everything is alive and well and growing VERY well.
That good to hear. I think what I'm gathering from others as well is, as long as these params are stable, and I'm not getting any major swings then just leave it alone. Because it seems some folks have a hard time ever reaching the levels that are the minimal requirements...

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris, only worry is having it precipitate out. but keep your alk up and it should be good.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Ca test kit are you using and are you taking the margin of error in the test into consideration? If you are buying the water where i think you are they may be using Oceanic and that salt has very high Ca levels and Mg too. It is not necessary to have it that high but if it's not hurting anything as your demand increases it will be used by your corals growing. JMO
Bill

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone please explain "in other words" definition of precipitate out.

Bill, I am using Salifert for Calcium and Mag. I also have the red sea pro kit for mag, and they always are the same. I actually prefer using the red sea pro, it is much easier to use.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Precipitating out is when the water reaches a level of saturation that it can no longer hold the calcium in suspension. it will then actually go solid (become Undissolved) and look like it is snowing in your tank. Ive seen it happen only once. really freaky....

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, I knew it was something like that, but I was just hoping it would be build up on equipment etc....that's just scary, but thanks for spelling it out for me.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back