Stoking the fires of the next generation of reefers!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Nothing you do for children is ever wasted.” -Garrison Keillor

5556096_orig.jpg

It's not just a box of corals- it's a hall pass to the future!

As lifelong aquarium hobbyists, we understand the boundless enthusiasm that comes with loving this hobby. We all remember our first aquariums, our first baby Guppy, the fun of building our first freshwater aquarium, and the crushing sadness that comes when one of our beloved fishes dies..as well as the triumph of our first reef aquarium.. It’s all a part of the enjoyment, challenge, disappointment, and excitement of the aquarium hobby.

Through all of this, the reef aquarium hobby, in particular, has become an important part of our lives. With the hobby comes challenge, enlightenment, and the obligation to pass this hard-won knowledge on to our fellow hobbyists. Even more important is when we have the opportunity to share with the next generation of hobbyists, stoking their minds and - just maybe- launching a lifelong love affair with reefkeeping.

Imagine our thrill recently when we were able to stoke the next generation of reefers! In this instance, we were moved by the story of Mr. Rutherford at Garden Hills Elementary in Champaign, IL. The Third Grade Gifted Class has a modest-sized reef aquarium, funded entirely by Mr. Rutherford and generous donations the class was able to solicit from various aquarium businesses. Dave B. from Team UC, a lifelong hobbyists himself- was deeply moved by the story he saw online about the aquarium and the kids, and immediately contacted Mr. Rutherford to get the ball rolling.

Within a week, we had our plan to get corals to the class in full swing! Ever the reef geeks that we are, Dave and I, along with other members of the staff, had a blast walking up and down the raceways here at UC picking corals to send to the class! Everyone at UC joined in on the fun, and a great box was put together for the class in no time! Throughout the whole “mission”, we received a great lesson ourselves as to what the reef hobby is all about.

3026040_orig.jpg

"Let the fun begin!"

Just seeing the excitement on the kids faces as they received the box and opened the corals drove home just what an important thing it is to ignite the young minds of the most important reef people on our planet: The next generation of kids, who have an excellent opportunity to not only embrace a lifelong hobby and passion, but to turn that passion into a force for good for the world’s oceans.

8479403_orig.jpg

Does this ever get old? We think not!

5748753_orig.jpg

We find ourselves doing this same thing every day!

Having an aquarium in the classroom teaches these kids things they could never learn from a book. Says Mr. Rutherford, “Students are studying complex marine biology and chemistry, learning concepts previously thought to be far about their grade level. *They are beginning to independently operate the reef system. *They take great pride in their work and are very invested in the*maintenance*and growth of our marine ecosystem.”

5318116_orig.jpg

Do you need any more proof? Kids just love Zoas!

As hardcore reefers, we are humbled and honored to help support such a worthwhile project, and we encourage our fellow reefers to reach out and donate to this worthy cause.

Donations may be sent to:

Awesome Squad
Garden Hills Elementary*
2001 Garden Hills Drive*
Champaign IL 61821

And, for more information on this worthwhile project: Reef Help Link - Awesome Squad:*Third Grade Gifted Class at Garden Hills Elementary

Remember, our most precious asset is our children, and if we can inspire them and instill in them a lifelong passion for the reefs and the animals which reside in them, then we can truly pass on a positive legacy for both the hobby and nature.

Until next time.

Stay Wet

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back