Good beginner zoas

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering what zoas/palys are good for beginners? Don't want to spend $$ on something that is great eye candy but will just melt on me.

It would be great to hear suggestions or get a list started.

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any Zoa's that you are comfortable with that dosent cost $$, you should be ok. As long as they dont say LE or tyree or anything like that, you should be fine!

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are the LE so delicate? And Tyree is a guy that collected really cool corals and then named them right? Kindof like his "brand" of coral?

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Eagle Eyes and Bam-Bams, they are relatively cheap and relatively available; you should be able to pick up a nice large colony of the Eagle Eyes for about $30.00. Be sure and allow your system to mature before you introduce them, contrary to popular opinion, zoas are not the greatest beginner coral out there. You might want to be careful about introducing mixed colonies of the Eagle Eyes and Radioactive Dragon Eyes, as many I've spoken to say the RDE can become invasive under ideal conditions. Just my $.02 worth

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know... I had planned on RDE. Would they only colonize on area where there was space available or will they actually war with another coral and kill it to take over that space?

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are the LE so delicate? And Tyree is a guy that collected really cool corals and then named them right? Kindof like his "brand" of coral?
Not all of them are. And IMHO, there is no such thing as a limited edition coral (nobody is producing only a limited number of that type of coral). Steve Tyree is an individual who gets ahold of corals (often times by being sent a sample from somebody else who collected it and grew it out), if they are bright and colorful enough, he labels them as Tyree. Originally, the only labeled specific corals that he had aquacultured. However here lately, it seems to be more about getting a hefty price for something labeled as Tyree, as he's slapped his name on a number of corals that have been around in the hobby for quite some time.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know... I had planned on RDE. Would they only colonize on area where there was space available or will they actually war with another coral and kill it to take over that space?
From what I understand from others who have had issues with them, individual polyps will drop or break off the main colony float and attach and begin growing in open areas, so soon they have spread into numerous areas. I've never actually seen it happen, just heard about it from others. To my knowledge they do not kill off other corals.

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is kindof fascinating the whole idea of a Tyree coral. I guess it kindof helps if it is sight unseen then you know that it is more likely to really pop, but it isn't like you can stitch a label on a coral. I wonder what you have to do to be an authorized Tyree dealer? I am sure people try to sell Tyree knock offs. :xd:

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whammin Watermelons..I just love them!

WhamminWatermelons.jpg

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all of them are. And IMHO, there is no such thing as a limited edition coral (nobody is producing only a limited number of that type of coral). Steve Tyree is an individual who gets ahold of corals (often times by being sent a sample from somebody else who collected it and grew it out), if they are bright and colorful enough, he labels them as Tyree. Originally, the only labeled specific corals that he had aquacultured. However here lately, it seems to be more about getting a hefty price for something labeled as Tyree, as he's slapped his name on a number of corals that have been around in the hobby for quite some time.
worded perfectly man i couldn't have said it any better....1smile1

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are sick! Fantastic! That is what I was looking for. How big are the polps on those things?

Love figuring out how this industry works. Even if it is a little jaded.

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are sick! Fantastic! That is what I was looking for. How big are the polps on those things?

Love figuring out how this industry works. Even if it is a little jaded.

standard size... prolly the size of a pea

Last edited:

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 36 48.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back