My First Reef! 55 G. Tube Tank

Stonekeg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy, folks!

I've recently decided to swap my 60 gallon freshwater tank to salt. My current "end" goal is to eventually get a Mandarin Goby (I've done tons of homework), along with some other fish and coral that are appropriate for a tank of that size. Since they're such picky eaters, though, I don't expect to see that Mandarin in my tank any time soon. (2019, I'm looking at you)

Here's my game plan, and a few pics of where I'm currently at.

The first thing I need to do is get my tank nitrates under control, and then get my last 2 silver dollars to my LFS. I'm just doing frequent water changes until my test show better levels. I think I've got this part under control, and it's just a matter of getting it done.

After that I need to build a new stand. The whole family will help with it, and it will be a fun DIY side project. I'll be sure to post pictures as it develops. Any pro tips for building a cabinet are certainly welcome. One day, I might even do a mangrove refugium. Not for the nutrient consumption, but just for looks and copepods. Maybe I should put in a viewing window for future use?

After that, the next step will be to get a Somatic 90 skimmer and sump combo. I'm pretty sold on this option, and it's one of the few pieces of hardware I've already decided on. Beyond that, I'm not sure what hardware I'll be getting. I'll pretty much need everything, though.

As you can see, I have a tube tank and the lighting will be slightly complicated as a result. I'll upload a shot of the top of the tank so you can see the challenges I'm looking at.

20180621_063100-jpg.773007

Here's the top. Pls excuse muh mess. >.< Thoughts on lighting for something like this? It's essentially 2 thirty gallon tanks with a deadzone in the center, so a long single light is mostly wasted.

20180621_063138.jpg

Here's a better shot of the beautiful paint job my wife did on our current stand. She did the left side, and my old neighbor helped with the right.

20180621_063235-jpg.773008

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome :)

I've got a friend who has that same tank. She's using a pair of chinese black box LED's to light it. Worked out fine for her.

O2 saturation is a bit of a concern... less surface area in a system like this than in your average glass box. A decent skimmer, and that Somatic should qualify, will go a long way to resolve the issue. I'd recommend keeping a battery powered air pump on hand, in case of power failures. That's when O2 saturation starts becoming an issue.

I like the Somatic stuff. Seems good quality for the price. I've got a bit of a unique setup, it wouldn't work for me, but if I was running something more standard, I'd probably have one. Somatic is basically Vertex's budget line... I've got a Vertex 180i skimmer, does a great job. I have to say, the pump went out on me... but their support did what was necessary to get me a replacement. QC problems abound in this hobby... nobody is immune. How they deal with failure when it occurs is important. They did well, for me.

Don't be in any rush, and Keep the updates coming :)

OP
OP
Stonekeg

Stonekeg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Greybeard!

I'll ask about a battery operated air pump at my LFS the next time I'm in. I hope to have those silver dollars out by this weekend, and once the tank is clean and off the stand the next phase will start. I'm excited to share the progress.

The Somatic 90 is a 7" skimmer for anyone who's unfamiliar. I'm hoping it's not too much for a fresh 60, but I'll get it sorted one way or another.

OP
OP
Stonekeg

Stonekeg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am narrowing on the design for the cabinet I want. It's nothing fancy, but it will end up being 54" long, 19" wide, and 38" high. For the outside, though, I'm thinking of using reclaimed wood. Something like this.

Now, I have a question for all of you. When it comes to plumbing what do you prefer and why? Hard plumbing vs. soft. I'm leaning towards a combo, but would like to plan which sections will be what. :D

Thank you for any and all insight!

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am narrowing on the design for the cabinet I want. It's nothing fancy, but it will end up being 54" long, 19" wide, and 38" high. For the outside, though, I'm thinking of using reclaimed wood. Something like this.

Now, I have a question for all of you. When it comes to plumbing what do you prefer and why? Hard plumbing vs. soft. I'm leaning towards a combo, but would like to plan which sections will be what. :D

Thank you for any and all insight!
I have done both Hard and soft plumbing, I prefer hard, as long as you have plenty of unions but same with soft. I like hard for me it looks better at least to me :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Stonekeg

Stonekeg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Mark Gray. You did a stellar job with your plumbing set up, too. I agree in the sense that it does look a lot better.

Now that I think of it, I bet you're a great person to ask. Would you recommend picking up pieces from a local Home Depot, or is this something one should only order from a fish store?

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey well I started and bought a lot from BRS, I found that both Home Depot and Loews have sort of discontinued their schedule 80 fitting, they have some but not like they used to. I bought the blue PVC from BRS and here is a supply house that has good prices and they are pretty quick about delivery
https://www.supplyhouse.com/PVC-Schedule-80-Fittings-18700000

OP
OP
Stonekeg

Stonekeg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! That's a great site to keep as a resource. I'll be sure to update my thread as I put it together, too.

Today I made the mistake of trying to figure out what lighting I should use. Boy, that's the biggest can of worms I've opened in a while. I'm leaning towards 2x of these AquaIllumination Prime HDs. I doubt I'll be doing anything crazy in my tank, so I doubt I need specialty lighting. However, I will want corals. My tank is skinny and deep, but I'll need 2 of them since it's a dual chamber tube tank. (ouch, my bank account)

I welcome any and all thoughts on the matter, of course.

Thank you all!

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in southern Cali, Orange County.

I'm not sure if your asking in relation to local stores, but we have tons of great LFSs around here. Like Seaside by my work, and Oceans which is by my house.
No I was just curious to where you were at I travel for work a lot I get to northern Cal sometimes but not the south

OP
OP
Stonekeg

Stonekeg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and those Silver Dollars are still in the tank. (I know all of you were wondering!) I figure I won't get them to my LFS until I have the panels, sump and skimmer in. I don't want to re-home them until the tank is ready for cycling.

OP
OP
Stonekeg

Stonekeg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last weekend we picked up a bunch more wood to finish up the sides and bottom of the stand. I'm excited to work on it this weekend, and will be sure to post lots of pictures. I think you all are going to like it.

Once the stand is finished I guess the next step is drain and clean the tank so I can get it reef ready. I'm mildly nervous about it, but have been assured by plenty of knowledgeable folks that it will be fine. :)

OP
OP
Stonekeg

Stonekeg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't get as much time with my stand as I wanted to this past weekend, but we did make some progress. So far, I'm digging the project. Also, here's a board game pic thrown in the mix since that's also what I've been up to.

20180729_194233_1532979933205.jpg
20180729_194242_1532979932401.jpg
20180729_133937_1532968155793.jpg

OP
OP
Stonekeg

Stonekeg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one small update to the stand. It was a rough weekend in the sense that it was hot, we weren't feeling so good, and I had to wait a few hours longer than expected for a new dryer on Saturday. I wasn't going to let it keep me from making a smidge of tank progress, though. The grey staining will make more sense once the reclaimed wood is on the sides and front.

20180804_182221_1533490800480.jpg

OP
OP
Stonekeg

Stonekeg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Stonekeg

Stonekeg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, what a weekend! Whole fam was sick, and our water main broke on Friday evening. It has been a heck of a time. However, I did manage to drop off my last freshwater fish, get the top for my stand (still a WIP) and got in my skimmer n sump.

20180903_142746.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back