Are these copepods?

Alex.qld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I have been struggling to decide if what i see in my chaeto when i move it are copepods or just dirt.
I made a short video:

Thanks for your opinion

Turtle_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell with the video could be sand but could also be copepods. By the time the water stopped moving to focus on if things look like there swimming the video cut out. Maybe try using a magnifying glass?

OP
OP
Alex.qld

Alex.qld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
I made a new video after stopping all the flow, and while there is always some residual water movement, and the video resolution is challenged by zooming, i can definitely see some lifeforms moving now

Turtle_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably copepods
Thanks
I made a new video after stopping all the flow, and while there is always some residual water movement, and the video resolution is challenged by zooming, i can definitely see some lifeforms moving now

Would forsure say I can see some copepods in there :)

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell - my main issue with this is they are so tiny i am not even sure i can see them, other than in that zoomed video
Here is a video of my pods see if they look the same

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell - my main issue with this is they are so tiny i am not even sure i can see them, other than in that zoomed video
Also are you giving them Live plankton good food for them they will be eating all sorts in your tank they are a good sign. Also did you add copepods at any time

OP
OP
Alex.qld

Alex.qld

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, i am adding live phyto every few days on top of the chaeto
No, i bought the chaeto from a shop that claimed: its clean and already colonized with chaeto. Usual LFS is receiving pods tomorrow, and i am checking if I already have or should i buy more

i will probably buy more, do you have any recommendations on species ? they usually get Tisbidae and a couple other species, unsure of the names

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, i am adding live phyto every few days on top of the chaeto
No, i bought the chaeto from a shop that claimed: its clean and already colonized with chaeto. Usual LFS is receiving pods tomorrow, and i am checking

if I already have or should i buy more

i will probably buy more, do you have any recommendations on species ? they usually get Tisbidae and a couple other species, unsure of the names
Good question I don’t really I just order them on line to the door . I know some types are easier to. reproduce than others

Calanoids

Calanoids. The mainly barrel-shaped, herbivorous calanoids are the most abundant copepod group in the marine environment. There are likely more calanoid copepods in the ocean (by weight) than of any other planktonic animal group.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back