Bicolor hammer — when does the second color develop?

trapphd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, just picked up a few new hammer frags and have a question about one labeled as a Bicolor. Currently, it's a small piece (less than an inch) but all polyps are extended and it looks very healthy. However, it's only one color thus far: purple. I expect it should develop green, too, based on photos of the larger coral from the seller. Does anyone have experience growing these out and any insight as to when the second color will materialize (or what might trigger it)? Appreciate it!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, just picked up a few new hammer frags and have a question about one labeled as a Bicolor. Currently, it's a small piece (less than an inch) but all polyps are extended and it looks very healthy. However, it's only one color thus far: purple. I expect it should develop green, too, based on photos of the larger coral from the seller. Does anyone have experience growing these out and any insight as to when the second color will materialize (or what might trigger it)? Appreciate it!
Pics? White light if you didn't know.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you might have gotten a purple hammer...

OP
OP
trapphd

trapphd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics? White light if you didn't know.
IMG_0293.jpeg

Photo attached — just hit heavy blues due to the schedule but that’s what orange lenses are for! There’s one or two (almost imperceptible) dots of green on the polyps which gives me some hope.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0293.jpeg

Photo attached — just hit heavy blues due to the schedule but that’s what orange lenses are for! There’s one or two (almost imperceptible) dots of green on the polyps which gives me some hope.
Give it some more time, I think you'll see more green in the future.

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 92 53.2%
  • NO

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 23 13.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back