Can i mix salt directly in the tank

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really.. that's only about a cup and a half or so of salt to 30 gallons of water. My LFS, runs 2 of their tanks at 1.020 full time. Doesn't seem to hurt the fish, but does make it a longer process to acclimate to my system.
Sorry for the misunderstanding but I was referring to saltwater purchased from a LFS not what they run their systems at. I would expect purchased water to be closer to 1.025

Charles Zinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wouldn't but saltwater from that LFS again, 1.022 is not ideal I'd want it at a nice prefect 1.026 or 25 if you're paying the premium for premixed
I would also do an ICP test on source water may be more than salt content wrong with water

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Take out 10g of water. Add a bucket of super high sanity. Record what you added and measure. Repeat until necessary. Don't make these foolish mistakes in the future.

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fill a jar with salt and put it in the slow flow section of my sump. Been doing it this way all year, zero issues. Like leave the glass jar inside the sump takes like 2-3 days to dissolve.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fill a jar with salt and put it in the slow flow section of my sump. Been doing it this way all year, zero issues. Like leave the glass jar inside the sump takes like 2-3 days to dissolve.
That’s a really cool idea!

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 12.9%
Back