Coralife Biocube Protein Skimmer working or not?

Ash2Ashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I am new here, and I'm actually posting this for my boyfriend (he's the one in the hobby, I just like to watch). We just bought a Coralife Biocube Mini Protein Skimmer and neither of us can tell if it's working or not. I have attached some videos of it below. It is on and bubbling, but nothing is going into the top chamber. We've had it in there for probably 1-2 weeks now. Did we install it wrong? Or does it just need more time? Thanks all!!

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something seems wrong to me, the first video has no bubbles, and the second video has way too many bubbles. The foam should be making its way up to the neck

Upvote 0

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember one thing, every protein skimmer works most effectively when the water it’s sitting in is at the appropriate level. You may need to push the unit down say 1”” into the water or lift it out if it’s drawing in too much water.

Upvote 0

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to put it lower in the water. The water line should be just below the start of the collection cup, like .3"-.5" below the bottom of the cup.

Here it is installed properly in the Biocube chamber. You can see the water just below the cup in this pic

Then once it is seated properly, it will take some time to adjust the air intake properly to get it foaming just right. When its brand new it can take a few weeks to get this right

1719237468320.png

Upvote 1
OP
OP
A

Ash2Ashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to put it lower in the water. The water line should be just below the start of the collection cup, like .3"-.5" below the bottom of the cup.

Here it is installed properly in the Biocube chamber. You can see the water just below the cup in this pic

Then once it is seated properly, it will take some time to adjust the air intake properly to get it foaming just right. When its brand new it can take a few weeks to get this right

1719237468320.png
Thanks so much :)

Upvote 0

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back