Diatoms? - “But I’m past the uglies?” :/

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon fellow reefers. I’m having a bit of an algae problem.
Little history on my tank: I purchased an existing FOWLR tank About a year ago. It was 4 years old when I purchased. Came with canister filter and HOB skimmer. It’s a 90 gal bow front.
I upgraded lights to 4x ai prime, added eshops r-100 sump with refugium, eshops s-120 skimmer, I run filter socks, auto top off with kelkwasser, carbon in a bag in the sump. Been running it like this since last October (10 months?). I have also added more live rock 2x mp40’s and a chiller.

I have always had fairly high po4 (.5 - .7ppm) and no3 (10-20ppm) , but so far haven’t seen any issues. I keep mostly softies, Anemones, and a few lps. I have a monti and a pillicora that are doing good as well. But only those two sps.

I have a dual reactor for BRS that I have not added yet, also a Uv steelizer not hooked up, and a reactor to be used for phosban or something similar- none of this is hooked up to the tank yet but I have it on hand.

my prams have been pretty consistent. I will attach photo of tank, sump, and last water test results.

my issue is I’ve started to see brown/rust colored algae on the sand bed. Mostly only in one corner. To me it looks like diatoms with a slightly more “rust” color. I attached a photo. It’s like a fine dust and easily blows away if disturbed. If I clean it at night it’s back by the next night.

I treated one dose of chemi clean - one day ago and may be too early to see results. Also not even sure if chemiclean works for diatoms? I do weekly 10% water changes. I have 7 stage ro/di and use red see coral pro salt.

my plans is to get the GFO and carbon reactor set up and running, to see if lower po4 will help the issue. I do have some phosphateE but nothing else seems unhappy except the algae lol.

I wanted to get you alls opinion: do you think it could just be elevated po4 and no3?

could it be silicates? Probably the only test o don’t have lol.

could algae be something other then diatoms?

Should I be using phosphate E or get GFO going?

I was hesitant on GFO regarding over stripping the water, but maybe that’s a unrealistic fear?

Is using Uv even worth it? Could it help? If so do you run it all the time? Or just until problem gets better?

Sorry for long winded message. Hope I provided enough info but if not ask away.

thank you in advance, I love R2R and all the members. This site is invaluable to me and I have learned so much from you all. So thank you all in advance!
- Happy reefing -

5A67155F-800F-4E10-B669-F8C12000BC55.jpeg
E26D31CB-6C28-451B-9DEA-49385D439CD1.jpeg
79B8D497-D9DC-41A2-8B9D-1D3D2BE4D222.jpeg
D0EC48EF-CE15-44CC-8E55-A35AE93ED151.jpeg
09160568-666C-4F9B-B28A-8E976EBF8006.png
AD12F012-D2A6-4971-8FEB-2DC893257211.jpeg

OP
OP
Bfragale

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Thought I should add my feeding schedule just in case:
Flakes in the morning pellets at night
AB+ every other day
Frozen foods Mon, wed, fri
Reef roids once a week- spot feed
And once a week hand feed the nems krill

NO FOOD SAT OR SUNDAY - unless I’m in the office over the weekend.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend getting a Silicate test kit. If Silicate is the cause of diatoms (they don't thrive without it), it will save you a lot of time and grief (from the wrong treatments causing unwanted effects).

OP
OP
Bfragale

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend getting a Silicate test kit. If Silicate is the cause of diatoms (they don't thrive without it), it will save you a lot of time and grief (from the wrong treatments causing unwanted effects).

Thank you, Will order today, I think your right. More I read silicates seem to be where I’m pointed to most.

Any suggestions of a good test kit?

OP
OP
Bfragale

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert seems to be most common. BRS has it for under $16- think that’s the one I’m going to get. Unless anyone has other suggestions for silicate test kit?

zzyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue leg hermit crabs and turbo snails like to eat diatoms. But make sure not to feed hermits with meaty food or they would consume less diatoms.

OP
OP
Bfragale

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue leg hermit crabs and turbo snails like to eat diatoms. But make sure not to feed hermits with meaty food or they would consume less diatoms.

had some, but added more a few days ago. I don’t really feed them anything except anything uneaten they scavenge. I’ll see how these new ones do.

OP
OP
Bfragale

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try and get your PO4 down before trying other solutions.

i have been running GFO and extended lights period on refugium. I have gotten po4 down to .3, but still working on getting it to around .15 ish.
So far have not noticed a difference, but once po4 gets to proper level I’m hoping it starts to go away.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

happy reefing.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe diatoms are also an issue of low flow aren't they? Or is that only cyano? I would try to increase your flow in that area. I had a big diatom bloom due to adding sand in my fuge. I never gave it a second thought and it went away in about 2 -3 weeks.

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having success dosing silica it’s slowly going

OP
OP
Bfragale

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow is pretty high. I have two mp40’s in a 90 gal. Any higher and I blow the sand around. I don’t think it’s a flow issue, but I’ll try to adjust it a bit and see if that makes any difference. Thanks for the idea

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sand bed looks mighty grudgy to me.

anytime I'm fighting something in the sand bed I always always do a complete top to bottom (2-3 if i can/have to) gravel cleaning and vacuum over a month period.

Dont try to get it all at once, you could nuke your tank.

Be slow and gentle, it'll help with anything else you're doing along the process.

Back