First Zoa frag… aiptasia?

Jacko85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! New reefer here!

First of all these forums have been a great source of information as a lurker.. so thanks everyone!

I got my first zoa frag a few days ago, did a standard acclimatisation and dip. Couple of days later, I’m seeing these guys between some of the heads. I’m guessing aiptasia but can anyone give a second opinion?

I’ve isolated the frag now.. but my question is… is this sort of thing just inevitable? And should I just get a few peppermint shrimp and be done with it? (Or something else?) Or is it a matter of binning this guy and buying frags until I find one without an issue?

Thanks everyone!
Jack

IMG_3503.jpeg

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you have Aiptasia! After being in the tank for a few days, you may have more. They are difficult to avoid and a biological control would be the best way to control. I have had the best experiences with Peppermint Shrimp (L. Boggessi) and Matted Filefish.

Upvote 0

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! New reefer here!

First of all these forums have been a great source of information as a lurker.. so thanks everyone!

I got my first zoa frag a few days ago, did a standard acclimatisation and dip. Couple of days later, I’m seeing these guys between some of the heads. I’m guessing aiptasia but can anyone give a second opinion?

I’ve isolated the frag now.. but my question is… is this sort of thing just inevitable? And should I just get a few peppermint shrimp and be done with it? (Or something else?) Or is it a matter of binning this guy and buying frags until I find one without an issue?

Thanks everyone!
Jack

IMG_3503.jpeg
My five cents:

Bin the frag now and hope it hasn't spread.
Of all the unwanted things out there i found Aiptasia is the only that is a real pest.

I tried everything, boiling water, lemon juice, aiptasia x, kalkwasser paste, peppermint shrimps.
Anything you inject into these anemones and they just multiply eventually and turn up in other spots.
I had 10 peppermints for just over a week and nothing happened.
Going to get a Kleini Butterfly next and hope for the best for my Corals and Invertebrates.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jacko85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. Have binned the frag and will keep a close eye on the tank over the next little while to see if anything pops up. Fingers crossed it’s isolated to the frag still!

Upvote 0

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience (in the US) has been that a lot of zoa frags have some small Aiptasia hiding in them; the conditions for commercially growing zoa are pretty perfect for Aiptasia and many vendors have a fish predator or something that keeps them eaten down but does not completely eliminate them. But that frag with that many Aiptasia of that size is just sort of ridiculous.

Upvote 0

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back