Help me pick some fish!!

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most of us are absolutely aware of what the fish is and what it does. We are also aware of recommended swimming space advised. Min 30g (read) 36 inches is for the optimal overall health of the animal. You didn’t mention your tank size or your other inhabitants. Another potential issue with this stocking are fish known to display extreme territorial aggression. The filefish, or any open water swimmer, will likely have very limited swimming space caught between Scylla and Charybdis. Swim one direction and a clown pair is chasing it, swim the other way and a gramma has its mouth open wide enough to swallow a conch. The recommendations are not arbitrary and aren’t being made without thought and consideration for both health of livestock and success of the tank. If it were just the filefish and maybe a shrimp goby and a firefish or a clown goby, a captive bred filefish would possibly be ok.

The OP has many fish on the list that are recommended for larger tanks and/or won’t house well together. In all honesty, the colorful tank they initially described is not attainable in a 20.
There are literal comments on here of it being difficult to feed and produces too much waste. Neither are true.

I would have to look back what I kept it with in a nano but definitely a clownfish.

It’s a macro algae tank, it won’t be sparse in cover.

My only thought about the gramma is they grow fast and get large. Generally all show and no bite though there are exceptions.

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are literal comments on here of it being difficult to feed and produces too much waste. Neither are true.

I would have to look back what I kept it with in a nano but definitely a clownfish.

It’s a macro algae tank, it won’t be sparse in cover.

My only thought about the gramma is they grow fast and get large. Generally all show and no bite though there are exceptions.
My gramma is definitely all talk no action most of the time. At times it will engage the firefish but only if the firefish seems to be retreating. (Which it never actually is it just sometimes times out that it was moving anyway). But I have no doubt that my B of a gramma would absolutely beat the tar out of a submissive fish or give as good at it gets from more aggressive fish. So much is dependent on the individual gramma.
Wild white spotted Pygmy files swim the algae beds constantly. They don’t spend their days hiding in cover. But I always tell people to put in your tank what you wish. I’ll always hope it works out for you.

With respect to waste, obviously feeding four larger fish vs gobies and blennies will equal more bioload for the tank. And the OP doesn’t want gobies as they are “recommended too often”.

Ppl are going to do what they are going to do.

dan’s tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller clown gobies would work for a tank this small, and aren’t particularly aggressive. Barnacle Blennies would work as well. Personally, my clownfish couple are absolute darlings, but their in an understocked 75g, so they have a lot of space to themselves.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gramma is definitely all talk no action most of the time. At times it will engage the firefish but only if the firefish seems to be retreating. (Which it never actually is it just sometimes times out that it was moving anyway). But I have no doubt that my B of a gramma would absolutely beat the tar out of a submissive fish or give as good at it gets from more aggressive fish. So much is dependent on the individual gramma.
Wild white spotted Pygmy files swim the algae beds constantly. They don’t spend their days hiding in cover. But I always tell people to put in your tank what you wish. I’ll always hope it works out for you.

With respect to waste, obviously feeding four larger fish vs gobies and blennies will equal more bioload for the tank. And the OP doesn’t want gobies as they are “recommended too often”.

Ppl are going to do what they are going to do.

Well according to his list, he wants the whitespotted the most of any fish listed other than the cherub which isn't a good idea. So I say get the whitespotted and go from there.

I did not have any that were submission fish, they were bold and when spawning they down right chased fish much larger than them away from the eggs. I am not sure if that is just assumption these are passive fish or experience but that was not my experience at all and their bold personality is what I love about them.

They come in small since they are captive bred, so give them time to grow and settle before adding the next tank mate.

index.php

He wants a soft coral and macro tank, shouldn't be an issue with nutrients with some water changes. Sometimes you end up having to dose macro algae tanks because a LACK of nutrients.

I found perc clowns to be less of jerks then occys so I would go that route if trying a clown. Do one so you don't have deal with spawning aggression.

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well according to his list, he wants the whitespotted the most of any fish listed other than the cherub which isn't a good idea. So I say get the whitespotted and go from there.

I did not have any that were submission fish, they were bold and when spawning they down right chased fish much larger than them away from the eggs. I am not sure if that is just assumption these are passive fish or experience but that was not my experience at all and their bold personality is what I love about them.

They come in small since they are captive bred, so give them time to grow and settle before adding the next tank mate.

index.php

He wants a soft coral and macro tank, shouldn't be an issue with nutrients with some water changes. Sometimes you end up having to dose macro algae tanks because a LACK of nutrients.

I found perc clowns to be less of jerks then occys so I would go that route if trying a clown. Do one so you don't have deal with spawning aggression.
How long did you have the filefish before it died during the power outage?

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did you have the filefish before it died during the power outage?

I don't know, a few years? I have been in the hobby a long time and have had them on and off throughout the years, I move frequently so... my tanks often change.

Had them in everything from 20g to 80g.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is all likely a pointless debate as these fish are available sporadically at best and sometimes go year? even years between offerings so no way a person with a new tank is going to wait that long for a first fish.

May get lucky and ORA drops a batch but I would not hold my breath.

Someone mentioned they had one from Biota but Biota breeds Acreichthys radiatus and Acreichthys tomentosus, this fish is Rudarius ercodes.

It seems likely this tank is destined for a clownfish and royal gramma and probably some other 3rd thing at some point.

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with a pair of cherubs, clowns, or cardinals, or a single filefish, then reevaluate after awhile!

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with a pair of cherubs, clowns, or cardinals, or a single filefish, then reevaluate after awhile!
Oh good grief. A PAIR of cherubs in a 20 gallon tank? I literally give up. Just throw shamu in your bathtub while you’re at it.

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh good grief. A PAIR of cherubs in a 20 gallon tank? I literally give up. Just throw shamu in your bathtub while you’re at it.
I am generally really conservative with tank sizes, but I think this is a little dramatic. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Naekuh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol.. @Tamberav havent seen you since nanoreef days..

I have no experience with pygmy filefish, but i do have experience with aptasia eating file fish, and the a Orange spot.

Never will i do either of those, again... i'll go the berugia whatsamacallit slug route if i have aptasia, and well the orange spot, i don't think i need to say anymore.

Also id would try to keep clowns in pairs.
It keeps the agression internal... and keeps it local at the hosting spot.
Unless the clowns are going though seperation, which i have seen in some cases.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol.. @Tamberav havent seen you since nanoreef days..

I have no experience with pygmy filefish, but i do have experience with aptasia eating file fish, and the a Orange spot.

Never will i do either of those, again... i'll go the berugia whatsamacallit slug route if i have aptasia, and well the orange spot, i don't think i need to say anymore.

Also id would try to keep clowns in pairs.
It keeps the agression internal... and keeps it local at the hosting spot.
Unless the clowns are going though seperation, which i have seen in some cases.

I pop in and out these days on forums.. life is busy :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am generally really conservative with tank sizes, but I think this is a little dramatic. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Meh, tank sizes are only recommendations. just stuff whatever you want in it. Lol. Granted, shamu may require reinforcing floor joists though. There’s been a lot of I want this fish, I have this tank, sure it’s 30 gallons or more under the size requirement but ima do it anyway threads lately. This is just me watching the world burn and laughing about it.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I’m planning on doing my first ever saltwater aquarium soon (yay!)
So right now I’m on my fish stocking chapter of my journey. Ive narrowed the types of fish I want to the individuals I’ve doodled bellow. I’ve heard a lot of conflicting information on these fish through my research, so that’s why I have little questions pointing to each fish.

I just need help picking the upper-middle swimming fish(es) that can go in the tank.

For my tank, I have chosen an Innovative Marine, Nuvo, 20 long AIO, starter kit. The tank measures 2ft in length, holds a total of about 20 gallons, with about 16 gallons making up the display. I’m planning on having a macro algae tank with some hardy softies here and there. Let me know if I’ve missed any crucial info. Thanks in advance!!!

IMG_3697_jpg.jpeg IMG_3838_jpg.jpeg
This is my first time seeing this; those are some amazing drawings!

OP
OP
benthicBarbarian

benthicBarbarian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked up the IM 20 long and that small filtration area is not going to do well with a high bio load. This tank is setup for like…2 small peaceful fish. Maybe 3. If they stay small

If you want a bunch of fish and are on a budget get a 40g breeder tank from petco during the 50% off sale. It’s around 60$ and is 36x18x18 and you can have lots of fish and more options. 40breeders footprint is excellent for fish and aquascaping. You’ll have so many more doors opened with a 40b
I would love to have a 40 breeder but I don’t have the space. On top of that, my lease only allows a tank up to 20 gallons. Thanks for the suggestion!

OP
OP
benthicBarbarian

benthicBarbarian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most of us are absolutely aware of what the fish is and what it does. We are also aware of recommended swimming space advised. Min 30g (read) 36 inches is for the optimal overall health of the animal. You didn’t mention your tank size or your other inhabitants. Another potential issue with this stocking are fish known to display extreme territorial aggression. The filefish, or any open water swimmer, will likely have very limited swimming space caught between Scylla and Charybdis. Swim one direction and a clown pair is chasing it, swim the other way and a gramma has its mouth open wide enough to swallow a conch. The recommendations are not arbitrary and aren’t being made without thought and consideration for both health of livestock and success of the tank. If it were just the filefish and maybe a shrimp goby and a firefish or a clown goby, a captive bred filefish would possibly be ok.

The OP has many fish on the list that are recommended for larger tanks and/or won’t house well together. In all honesty, the colorful tank they initially described is not attainable in a 20.
I will NOT be getting a pair of clowns.

OP
OP
benthicBarbarian

benthicBarbarian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is all likely a pointless debate as these fish are available sporadically at best and sometimes go year? even years between offerings so no way a person with a new tank is going to wait that long for a first fish.

May get lucky and ORA drops a batch but I would not hold my breath.

Someone mentioned they had one from Biota but Biota breeds Acreichthys radiatus and Acreichthys tomentosus, this fish is Rudarius ercodes.

It seems likely this tank is destined for a clownfish and royal gramma and probably some other 3rd thing at some point.
My lfs has a regular shipment of Pygmy white spots. I even had them put a couple on hold for me. So that won’t be a problem:)

OP
OP
benthicBarbarian

benthicBarbarian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

index.php

This reply has been the biggest help so far! Thanks so much!

OP
OP
benthicBarbarian

benthicBarbarian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh, tank sizes are only recommendations. just stuff whatever you want in it. Lol. Granted, shamu may require reinforcing floor joists though. There’s been a lot of I want this fish, I have this tank, sure it’s 30 gallons or more under the size requirement but ima do it anyway threads lately. This is just me watching the world burn and laughing about it.
I’ll tell you what Nana, just for you, I’ll ditch the filefish. Instead, I’ll just get a napoleon wrass and a yellow tang! How’s that sound Nana? :)

Attachments

• IMG_3998.jpeg
    IMG_3998.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 25

Naekuh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to have a 40 breeder but I don’t have the space. On top of that, my lease only allows a tank up to 20 gallons. Thanks for the suggestion!

say its 20g breeder, and breeders are just wider.

Management wont know the difference between a 20 or a 40.
Its usually when they say 10 is the max that they know the size difference, otherwise, they wont say anything until your tank ruptures the unit below is complaining the ceiling is leaking.

I work in management, and typically unless i know the floor has structural problems, i will turn an eye on 40.
We only typically allow 10, or a dry 40 for snakes, but snakes must be reported incase they escape. Then we have problems until we find the missing snake.

200 extra lbs spread out on 4 legs doesn't mean much, unless its a carpet and leaves a perm indent.
However even a 20g will do that...

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back