How did that happen.......there is a 260 gallon aquarium in our walkout basement family room now....Not anymore

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nice pieces. getting together in any club is a treat and then some.

OP
OP
Jeto2004

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pieces. getting together in any club is a treat and then some.
Thanks! Totally agree! Seeing other peoples setups, and having people to chat about what’s going on in your tank is something I would not willing to give up easily. Love the Forum and all the informtion you have access to these days online, but I treasure the in person interactions evenmore.

Bob Lauson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very excited to have this guy in QT. Was on my list of fish that I would like to introduce to my system. Was very hesitant as I was not successful in a previous attempt. This fellow however...... he/she was dancing a tango with a yellow tang hold is own at an LFS. That caught my interest and after observing him for a while it was clear that I didn't have a choice. He/she is in QT now for 3 days and getting boulder and boulder chasing the food offered. Not even bothered by one of our cats that seems to have developed a keen curiosity into this particular fish

Sooo jealous of you having the CBB doing so well in your QT tank. I would love to have one but have failed twice.

OP
OP
Jeto2004

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo jealous of you having the CBB doing so well in your QT tank. I would love to have one but have failed twice.
Just got lucky I guess. He is out of QT and in the DT, doing his own thing picking on the rocks all day and getting right into the frenzy at feeding time. You could look into conditioned and QT fish at TSM aquatics - they have some available once in a while.

OP
OP
Jeto2004

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A month ago I put a BTA in the tank - had it in an acclimation box for a few weeks and then turned off flow and let it settle in an are I was hopping it would stay put. First thing it did was to split over night. Both of them decided to hang upside down from an arch.... well my Clown’s directly found the BTA, but man hosting an anemone upside down must be very difficult.......;Hilarious;Hilarious
FDA7C3B6-FC5A-460C-9B8A-2B997EBD4310.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeto2004

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learned this week that cepex ball valves are not made for much back pressure if used to regulate flow. Have a carbon reactor running of my skimmer via a T off. First time that I filled the reactor chamber to the brim, normally I have had it only 2/3 filled, and open up the ball valve 1/3 it way. It directly started to leak from the seams, but only in partly opened positions. Had to run the reactor full blast for a few days before I got my gate valve delivered. Installed it day change - back in business running it at my preferred lower flow rate....

OP
OP
Jeto2004

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50D49F09-AF1F-4B95-AE41-1111517FED2F_1_105_c.jpeg

Couple of things I achieved during the last weeks. Build a little shelf to hold the dosing containers for my 4-part two part (Soda Ash, CaCL2, Mg Mix and Tropic Marin part C). Oh why do BRS has to ship different versions of their mixing jugs.....maybe I have some level of OCD tendency after all :rolleyes::D;Happy. I was experimenting with increasing my pH by running a skimmer airline to the outside with little effect. Run outside line through CO2 scrubber with little additional benefit. Run a recirculating CO2 scrubber best effect. To figure it out in general I got a little CO2 meter and was surprised that our indoor CO2 was at over 1300ppm during the Summer month, we are in a 75 year old house that should be drafty...... so started to monitor and air out the frequently. Also got rid of two of my glass tops and made screen lids. Now with trying to air out house, recirculating CO2 scrubber and screen lids my pH on good days is between 8-8.2. Can't get it any higher. Since I had it running as a temporary set up for a couple of month, I cleaned up the set up to make it not as messy. Maybe I will see higher pH later when my Alk demand increases as I currently only need ~30ml of daily supplement of keeping ALK at 8.

Now I only have to find a better way to mount the big hulk of a UV sterilizer.....

OP
OP
Jeto2004

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of months ago I started dosing @DrTim EcoBalance to the tank. I think it has a positive impact on the tank. However I noticed quite a drop in pH after dosing. It seems to me that the pH will recover better if I haven’t cleaned a glass for a couple of days before I dose the product. Here is an example
A0E4B504-2B06-4172-88DD-42C9FABEBAD3.jpeg

The red arrow indicates dosing of EcoBalance (I do 200ml). The pH drops below the average night time low and bottom’s out at pH7.9. Within the next day it reach the max pH of 8.17. So here are my question. Why does a bacterial additive changes pH is it consumption of oxygen or does the bacteria produce CO2 as a waste product? As for why a dirty glass helps to restore pH quicker is that the green film algae will consume CO2 from the tank. By the way it doesn’t matter if I have the skimmer on or off the overall behavior is the same....

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back