How precise is everyone when mixing salt?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rough spot I fill my brute can to, then use a certain number of scoops. Followed by checking and adjusting.
After hearing stories about electronic salinity checks my final confirmation is doing a test on tank salinity and new water to ensure both have the same result on the same calibration cycle.
Here's another scenario I deal with.

I have two 7 gallon buckets that I made 5, 4, 3 gallon marks on. I did them at the same time. I fill one with newly mixed saltwater and the other one I use for my waste water.

You would think draining waste water to the line would be accurate...it's not for me. My house floors aren't level and I add water to a sump in the kitchen, while pulling water from the living room. Sometimes I have to top off a bit more...and shut off the ATO just in case.

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best salt out there bar none.....just a bit pricey.
I dunno - Instant Ocean works just fine for me. I have used numerous brands over the last few decades and the only different I can tell is the weight of my wallet.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I do 15g batches in a brute trash can. Dump in 15, 1/2 cup scoops and another 1/4 cup. Let circulate and check salinity. Usually almost always 1.025/1.026. Using IORC

DropBear Actual

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically mix up the same amount each time. I marked a line on my bucket so that I add water then salt and fill to line then test. It gets me close if not spot on each time.
Thats a good idea. I have a line for the water measurements but I never thought about a second line for the added salt increase.

Thanks, ill start doing that.

jezreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consistency is key for me when mixing salt. I use the same marked container every time and add the same number of level scoops. Then I let it mix really well and check with a calibrated refractometer. Maybe a little anal but it works to keep things stable!

ReeferFive-0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fill a 5 gallon bucket up to the same line and then weigh my salt on a digital kitchen scale set to lbs and ounces. After mixing, I verify using my refractometer. For larger water changes, I dump the water into a Brute trash can on wheels, mix in salt and repeat.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this not work 35grams of salt to every litre of water

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back