AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you end up using?
I used this one:

Amazon product

Corals seemed to respond just fine, and it definitely killed a lot of bugs. I did a second dip in Coral RX after a quarantined the corals, and that didn't seem to knock anything else off, so the potassium chloride seems to work great.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this one:

Amazon product

Corals seemed to respond just fine, and it definitely killed a lot of bugs. I did a second dip in Coral RX after a quarantined the corals, and that didn't seem to knock anything else off, so the potassium chloride seems to work great.

Link does not work. :)

banik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KCL dip works wonders on acros and Zoas. Some LPS, it is divastating. My Todd’s torch starting blistering and disintegrating in KCL saltwater…do not use KCL saltwater with Todd’s torch.

Sam
If reef primer is KCl, and it's fine for LPS, is reef primer not KCl?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If reef primer is KCl, and it's fine for LPS, is reef primer not KCl?

I could answer that question without ever having heard of KCl or reef primer. It's a tautology.

Are you actually asking a question?

banik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could answer that question without ever having heard of KCl or reef primer. It's a tautology.

Are you actually asking a question?
Sure, instead of pointing out the conflict of information from earlier in the thread, I can do that.

What's in reef primer, or do we not know yet?

I looked for a safety data sheet, but had no luck.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, instead of pointing out the conflict of information from earlier in the thread, I can do that.

What's in reef primer, or do we not know yet?

I looked for a safety data sheet, but had no luck.

It's a likely guess, but I doubt anyone has analyzed it beyond what the manufacturer says about it being potassium salts.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used KCl and reef primer, they are not exactly the same. KCI is much harder on the corals. AEFW literally melt before your eyes in KCI but they just fall off and dye with reef primer.

How do you know you are using equal concentrations?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know for sure, but they do seem different. I suspect Reef Primer is a different form of potassium salts.

It may be true, but I dont see any useful evidence of it. If you cannot know what doses are used, one cannot, IMO, use different effects to claim the chemicals are different.

The effects of any chemical treatment are dose dependent.

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do feel that despite costing a fortune for what it is, Reef primer is the most effective dip especially for flatworms and stuff like that. I tend to go for a dip in that and then a dip in mild Hydrogen peroxide in salt water right after. Kills most things including algae.

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 tablespoon KCL per gallon will kill flatworms in 7 minutes. they literally just fall off you don't need a powerhead.. you can just watch them peel off. I like to use 2 tablespoon per gallon and have used 4 tablespoon per gallon and it still doesn't hurt the coral. the key to beating flatworms is beating the egg cycle. its all great that the KCL kills the flatworms in 7 minutes but it doesn't kill the eggs, so people get aggressive and dip all the corals but they don't kill the eggs so they then have flatworms again LOL. if you have AEFW and you want to beat it.. you have to CUT all the corals off the rocks and put them onto egg crates. then you just find a tupperware container or a huge plastic bin a storage bin will do.. then cut the egg crate the same size as the bin.. now just drop the whole egg crate into the bin so you are dipping all the corals at once.. this way you can literally dip all corals within 10 minutes. put the rack back into your tank and then do that 8 week in a row... that is the only way to beat them.. so for all of you that have AEFW and the corals are on your rocks.. the hardest part is cutting them off and doing this method.. now if you have crust on the rocks then you have to glue over the crust to kill that part of the coral on the rocks so you have no coral on the rocks once you cut them off. ..i know its sad to do since you worked so hard on the scape.. .. but this is the critical thing you gave to do to beat it.... its actually very easy to beat if you commit to this method...
Very helpful. I'm going through this right now and I appreciate the emphasis on cutting all acros off the rocks. I thought my encrusted green slimer was invincible to AEFW and thought about leaving it there while dipping all my other acros. I ended up cutting it off and dipping it in KCL. Guess what? Found AEFW. Not many, but some and that's all it takes. Ended up epoxying over the encrusted areas.

Quick question. I don't have a quarantine tank, so when I introduce new frags, can I be 100% sure I will not introduce any pests (AEFW/Bugs) following this procedure?

1) KCL dip (2 Tbsp per gallon for 10 mins)
2) 24 hour interceptor bath at 6-7x strength
3) Cut coral off plug, fragging through healthy flesh
4) Remounting coral to new plug, rinsing one more time with clean water
5) Add to tank

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very helpful. I'm going through this right now and I appreciate the emphasis on cutting all acros off the rocks. I thought my encrusted green slimer was invincible to AEFW and thought about leaving it there while dipping all my other acros. I ended up cutting it off and dipping it in KCL. Guess what? Found AEFW. Not many, but some and that's all it takes. Ended up epoxying over the encrusted areas.

Quick question. I don't have a quarantine tank, so when I introduce new frags, can I be 100% sure I will not introduce any pests (AEFW/Bugs) following this procedure?

1) KCL dip (2 Tbsp per gallon for 10 mins)
2) 24 hour interceptor bath at 6-7x strength
3) Cut coral off plug, fragging through healthy flesh
4) Remounting coral to new plug, rinsing one more time with clean water
5) Add to tank
That should do it. They won't lay eggs on live flesh.

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 13.1%

Back