Losing the fight to bubble algea

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all

So as the title says, im most definitely losing the fight against bubble algea.

Its basically everywhere in my tank now, on every rock, pumps, between corals and even growing on snail shells

Ive been manually removing during water changes with small tubing to suck it all out but by the next week its back again. Pretty much at the point where im going to need to remove the rocks completely to get to it all.

To note, i have zero other algea to compete with it which im geussing is a bad thing. I only have two clowns so not really possible to over feed. Any ideas what i can do before I tear this aquascape down and cause myself an absolute headache?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would try and get an army of emerald crabs. Sometimes they go rogue but you could put them in the sump. Reefcleaners is a good place as well to get CUC.

robinm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Brightwell Razor successfully against bubble algae (Valonia) in the past. I believe you can also use Flucanazole which is normally used against Bryopsis.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to find both in even the most totalitarian state. Start by calling: The Coral and Fish Barn on Rowley road in Perth. Even if they don't have them, I suspect they could get them or point you in a direction.

Of course they could also be complete dolts with attitude problems for all I know.

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will see if i can get hold of some. Will do a bit more research however, how much should i be dosing to clear bubble algea?

I have a waterbox mini 25, currently holds about 70L ish.

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s really manual removal, restarting and/or finding something else to take over it’s foot print. Even things like xenia and gsp have difficulty combating with it. If you’re tank was bigger, some tangs will eat it. I had a scopas in the past who would eat it and/or pop it. My latest gem tang does it as well and keeps it at bay.

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pithos crabs. Forget emerald lol - I’m trying to giveaway 2 in central NJ. Bought 4 for a 40B because I had a similar situation.

Giving 2 away now because I’m almost completely out of bubble algae for them. Bought them on reef cleaners and highly recommend.

None have touched corals

ChrisfromBrick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pithos crabs. Forget emerald lol - I’m trying to giveaway 2 in central NJ. Bought 4 for a 40B because I had a similar situation.

Giving 2 away now because I’m almost completely out of bubble algae for them. Bought them on reef cleaners and highly recommend.

None have touched corals
do you still have them? May i ask where you purchased yours from?

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. Completely beat bubble algea using continuum clean equation M!

Followed the directions on the bottle related to my tank volume.

First round i would say reduced my bubble algea around 60% and overall i was happy. Left it a few weeks and decided to go a second round.

Im now completely bubble algea free! Was literally so close to tearing down the tank and starting fresh before this

Now to beat aiptasia!
20241005_094434.jpg

ghill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

None have touched cor
I second the Pithos crab recommendation. I have a 20 gal aio where the clear bubble algae were starting to get out of hand despite my attempts and digging and sucking them out. I put 5 Pithos crabs in there and now only have a couple of bubble and they will be eaten although new ones will appear and then disappear. Really did a great job.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back