My First Softy Tank... which has turned into a mixed reef

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tanks rule. I may have missed, cycling your rock?

Soon you’ll have to change your member name.

And how did you get your dog to float in mid air?

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tanks rule. I may have missed, cycling your rock?

So I have 45ish pounds of live rock that is already cycled in my current tank or in a brute bucket. I have an additional 10/15 pounds of dry rock that I plan to add. I really wanted to make a cave, but as I was playing with the dry rock more of an arch appeared.
3FF76D4C-CEC2-489B-9F25-8618F2CE4EEE.jpeg

Which I really liked. I think I’m going to take apart the rest of my aquascape and do something new. Not sure what, but I’d like to pull at least one piece out to stand alone and try a mini Zoa garden.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be a good idea to soak your dry rock for a while, it will help leech out some of the phosphate. If you add a hunk of live rock, a heater and a powerhead you can cycle at the same time and start your tank slightly ahead of the game. It worked really well for me.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be a good idea to soak your dry rock for a while, it will help leech out some of the phosphate. If you add a hunk of live rock, a heater and a powerhead you can cycle at the same time and start your tank slightly ahead of the game. It worked really well for me.
I have a bucket of dry live rock that I have been cycling for several weeks with a piece of my live rock from my current DT. Can I put this dry rock in there?

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bucket of dry live rock that I have been cycling for several weeks with a piece of my live rock from my current DT. Can I put this dry rock in there?

Yep. Do water changes once in a while. Many people use the waste water from water changes in their tank.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was disappointed today, I went to my LFS to buy new sand. I wanted Carib Sea Fiji Pink but they didn't have any. Sooo.. I checked Petco and Petsmart and they didn't have any either. I debated whether I should just go with Oolite, but I was worried about that blowing around and making a mess. In the end I decided to just order on BRS. :confused:

In my old tank I put the sand in first and then added the rock on top, however, I was reading that it is better to put the rock in first and then sand around. This way the rock is sitting on the glass and if you have a something that like to dig or make tunnels they would be under rocks getting crushed. I am worried though about putting rock directly on glass, is this normally how people do it?

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step 1: Stay up until midnight building a stand, check
E08E53B0-97CD-4380-A33E-5E059E708B15.jpeg

59B1DFFD-7B1A-46A0-9B0E-59CC9CEFDDF7.jpeg

I don’t feel it was too hard to put together. It took me longer than most flat shipped furniture that I’ve made before but only because I was really vigilant to make sure everything was put together correctly. The directions were fairly easy and straight forward.

While waiting to get this shipped I watch multiple videos on setting up a reefer 350. I knew that mine had the V3 sump, but I assumed it was just bigger and the plumbing would be the same. It doesn’t appear that is the case. I haven’t started on the yet, but based on the instructions it looks like the overflow piping isn’t straight down anymore. ;Meh

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was setting up my Sump last night and getting some other things ready for the big move (hopefully this weekend)... when I realized I bought the wrong screen cover for the tank. :mad:

I ordered the correct one from Marine Depot and it will be here next week. I'm going to keep the wrong one just in case I mess up and need extra parts. If I get it put together just fine with no issues then I can return the other one. Although I am trying to find a quick fix for the in between time. I'd like to have something over the tank as I have a blenny and fire fish who I have seen both jump

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
egg crate is pretty easy to cut into the right shape but a firefish could probably get through the holes. I attached screen to mine with thread.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Reefer 350 is finally set up!!!!:D:D:D:D
F9205404-213C-4CBF-8A64-A098C9C27B43.jpeg

Last night and today I switched over from the 55 to my new Red Sea Reefer 350. I planned to take pictures of all my steps so I could share, but it was crazy and hectic and I didn’t take one. But I’ll still share what I did.

The first thing I did starting on Monday was to make as much water as I could. I planned to use all the water from my 55 as I could. The RSR350 is about 90 gallons w/sump so I needed another 35gallons. I assumed this would be plenty because all the things you put into a tank (rocks, sand, skimmer, pumps, etc) take up room. However just to be on the safe side I made another 15 after that.

On Wednesday I started to pull rocks. I was really worried about catching my fish and shrimp. The shrimp and the blenny like to hide in the rocks. I thought if I pulled a couple each day that they weren’t sitting on then it would make it easier. I had a brute with water, heater, and power head and each day I added more rocks to it.

I built the cabinet on Wednesday and started putting the sump together on Thursday.

Friday was the big day. I started by draining water into a new brute, once I got it half full I started chasing fish. I pulled the heater and aerator that were in the tank into the brute with the fish. I pulled out the last two rocks and put them in with the others. I fill up a smaller bucket and pull out all my hermits and snails.

I enlisted my husband to help move the old tank down to the basement, it will be my new QT, move the stand into place, and then bring the new tank in. Once it was positioned we installed the plumbing. Neither of us are very handy so this was a challenge. Attempt one lead to leaks of the return pipe and overflow. We had to unscrew everything and then screw in again. The second attempt was much better no leaks anywhere.

I put new sand in and the started playing with rocks. I haven’t really thought much about corals until recently. But I’ve realized that most of the ones I want are “invasive” so I decided to build a couple different structures instead of one big scape. Hopefully this will help some with spreading and fighting.
C2D0875B-295A-4941-B375-152D9516C7B4.jpeg

Then I started to fill with water... and OMG... I did not think this through. I had 40-50 gallons of water in two brute cans next to the tank and another 50ish gallons in the basement. For starters I’m short, second I’m just a small girl. I started with a 3 gallon bucket filling the tank, but doing quick math I’m looking at 30+pours. I have a 7 gallon canister which will cut it to 13 pours. I carried the first one up a flight is stairs and went to dump it in... HAHAHA!!!.. yeah, nope could lift it up that high so I did the opposite of the directions, instead of fill the tank and then having it overflow to the sump I started to fill the sump and then I turned on my return pump to fill the tank. This worked pretty well. Once I had the majority of the water in I went fish catching again. And then added the remaining water. I’m glad I made extra I needed it.

I plugged everything in in the sump
37BFF72E-674B-4258-832D-DD75C65918F6.jpeg

In the Refugium I put my heater and one of the old live rocks from my first tank. I don’t think I fully understand how the skimmer works. I’ve watch multiple videos and the purpose and setup but mine keeps overflowing and misting water everywhere so I took the lid off until I can figure it out. I also didn’t install the ATO yet because I’m confused on that too.

I wasn’t going to show the other side of my tank as it looks terrible, but then I thought it will be more impressive when I get the cords in order and it looks beautiful to be able to compare it to something.
1F462C91-D993-49EC-83D6-078D3D95B123.jpeg

I’m still working to get the tank silent, but I’m getting closer. All the fishy friends are doing good
913B1AC5-2EBF-4A7A-A101-0E888C4F77B9.jpeg
5C9605A5-359E-4CB8-89AA-53E5841FDE35.jpeg

273A1A30-9633-462A-8068-1A8B441B89F5.jpeg

Clowns not pictured but they are doing well.

The only possible casualty is my peppermint shrimp. I’m not sure if she got injured at some point in the move. Several of her legs are bent/crippled. She is sometimes laying on her side. I didn’t see her eating this evening either.
FC88E5A9-03EA-4FF0-8DEE-F0EB0C4C8646.jpeg

I think the hermits have already decided she’s not making it and they’re getting ready to feast.

The other thing with the tank is I CANNOT get the glass clean.

I think that’s all the updates for now. Next steps are finishing the sump, getting the QT set up, get a new fish. I’m debating between a flame angel or a coral beauty. I also plan to use my old QT as a coral QT. I need to do some research on a cheaper QT light.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent last night putting together the DIY net cover for Red Sea. IT SUCKED!!!

This was simple in concept, but very difficult in execution. The front and sides seemed good. Red Sea provides measurements and each side needs to be cut. The measurements they provided were accurate and those three pieces came together easy.

The back was a pain in the butt. If you have mounting brackets for your lights you need to cut out around those and measure yourself. It took me quite a while to get everything fitting properly. (It may also have been that I didn’t have a saw to use as the instructions clearly state you need, and instead had to use a serrated bread knife from my knife block);Facepalm

Next when putting the screen on its best to have two people and you want the screen to not be loose, but also not too tight as the latter can cause the screen to rip.

In the end I will probably upgrade to a custom screen top. This top still needs to be taken off and on for cleanings, and fully lifted for feedings. It is flimsy making it harder to work with. I seem to keep learning this lesson, it’s better to spend the money up front because eventually you will upgrade to what you wanted so why waste money on the lower option.
5007D877-FF9B-41A3-902B-AA515C1827B4.jpeg

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"If only, if only, " the woodpecker sighs

I’m hoping maybe the hoard of bristle worms, who I tried to ditch in my first tank but tagged along anyways, will help a little. Eventually I’d like to get a diamond goby. I plan on him being one of my last to add because I like my QT to be bare bottom.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realized I left a cliff hanger as to the fate of my peppermint shrimp. I do not think she made it. I have no proof that this rouge gang of hermits devoured her, but I also haven’t seen her for a week. I think she was injured in the move, which was one of my biggest fears. She was my husbands favorite so maybe in a week or so I’ll go buy a new one.

Rip3618

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"If only, if only, " the woodpecker sighs

I’m hoping maybe the hoard of bristle worms, who I tried to ditch in my first tank but tagged along anyways, will help a little. Eventually I’d like to get a diamond goby. I plan on him being one of my last to add because I like my QT to be bare bottom.

Sand sifting star fish and a platoon of nassarius snails were the trick for me. My sand bed is much, much cleaner and they’ve really helped maintaining my nitrates and phosphates. I have one sand sifter and 30 small nassarius in my 20 gal. You’ll need a lot more for your tank, but, you’ll hardly see them because they live in the sand eating all the waste. The bonus of having nassarius snails is watching the zombie horde climb out of the sand when you feed your fish! I’ll try to get a video this weekend and attach it. It’s pretty cool to watch.

The after photo (with my new hammer) isn’t the best lighting but trust me, my sand bed is a lot cleaner. The after photo is one day before a water change and tank cleaning.

By the way, I’m super jealous of your upgrade. I’ll live vicariously through your posts until we can upgrade.

FC96A609-4EC5-4308-BE5E-EBB98F78DCAC.png 6F27B2C9-46F4-43BC-895A-C878D9C5423D.jpeg

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand sifting star fish and a platoon of nassarius snails were the trick for me.

I wanted a starfish but was warned they eat a lot and most will starve. How long have you had yours? I have a group of snails and crabs, probably 50 between the two at the moment. The snails are just generic “cleaner snails”. They do dig in the sand and also clean the glass. I have a hard time keeping a CUC because my cleaner shrimp is a vicious murdered.

Rip3618

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the star fish for about a month. Had no idea they were prone to starve. That sucks! He’s doing well so far.

I have a psychopath red legged hermit likes to serial-kill my turbo snails and collect their shells as trophies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back