2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are ya all!? :)
Oof...

I think that about sums it up.

homeschooling 2 kids under 4, wife working as a cancer clinical trials coordinater from the home office, and our state doesn’t have a mask mandate in place. So we’ve barely left the house (3 hour long trips and a long weekend to grandparents) since March 13th.
So, yeah, oof...

you?

I’m going to check out your build thread when I get a few moments. Probably tonight, lol. I’ll check in.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally sold my 3 extra mars Aqua 165s. Not super enthusiastic about the price, but the only person to respond that didn’t low low ball me and seemed genuine. Suffice to say he got a proper deal.

that frees up some funds to put towards a couple more noopsyches, to go over the frag tank. That’ll standardize spectrum between my display and in-line frag, and will make the frag mangrove lagoon much more aesthetically pleasing.

out with the old...

EBDA6EC0-D29A-4C16-BC60-6B8D442FE37F.jpeg
025F0E12-E1B1-4D30-8FA4-3B88AEBF83C3.jpeg
888422D6-DC35-4B79-8B9F-D630BAEF6A64.png

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive also got an aptasia issue - peppppperrrr mint shrimp - Comin in :)
The only thing guaranteed to eat aiptasia are Berghia. It’s an exclusive food source for them.

I’ve heard too many reports of either lazy peppermints, or they’ll go after fungia, zoas (don’t have any since they are soooooo ugly) and softies. Plus- I have 2 shrimp already and think nudibranches are way cooler than Shri

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out- this might not be our forever home (or 20 year home) after all...

looking at a 6month to 2 year timeline, but it sure puts some plans into perspective

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, so we have our finances in order and a realtor is working with us. We went to see one today that checked many boxes, but had a septic tank leakage and a built in mahogany wet bar and tv surround that would need ripping out for fishroom. Plus the driveway was a 28 degree incline, 40 feet long. No thanks.

Moving to the lake. We have talked about beachfront or lakefront for years (since we first met, and our first date was a whale watching trip to get her hooked on the ocean life) and we feel like the Reno’s we have talked about for our current place would be wasted. It would beautify the house, but we stilll wouldn’t have a lake, or possibility of a boat, and still get hassled by our over-reaching HOA, so instead of trying to improve this place, we are moving.

we missed a perfect place by literally 4 weeks. Perfect.
But we’ll find something we love, and we’ll move.

what this means for the tank:

break down and store all QT tanks, my planted fuge will be stopped, no more fish or coral purchases, lowboy 50 I just bought goes into storage.

Im going to build a stand for the 180, that I can move to the new place in prep, and rebuild my 40b sump. Run the tank as a standard cabinet sump style for a while to get ducks in a row etc

we have talked and we are keeping with the fish room and support layout. So we need to find a place that has a convenient basement portion to frame in a fish room and water area, and a separate area for QT and frag tank. If I have space, I’ll re-visit the in-line mangrove frag tank.

whether I need to remove the fish room structure to return our basement to its unfinished state is unknown. If I have to, I can run the tank with the cabinet 40b sump and store the fish room equipment. I might be able to salvage the walls, but that seems a bit crazy.

it’s possible this move will let me go up to a 220g, maybe a 300g peninsula style.

Possibly.

not will also afford me the opportunity to change my scape. I love(d) the look of pukani, but it’s just been crumbling in chunks since the day I got them wet. I’m going to replace with regular BRS reef saver, make a better scape, and spring for some Tampa Bay rock for the critters.

oh- my berghia nudis for my aptasia issue arrive tomorrow. That was comically poor timing.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m bummed, but excited. For our girls to experience lake living and having *water* be a feature of their lives instead of a once a year vacation.

I’m also excited for the possibility of redoing the tank and fishroom build, and possibly even documenting the whole crazy thing for a YouTube channel. Seems like a bunch of cool kids are doing it, so I might give it a go.

ive also been getting a small woodworking shop built out as a side hustle/potential second career/ income maker. Hardwood keepsakes boxes with Japanese joinery, kumiko, hardwood and epoxy ‘heirloom’ putter heads. Cedar strip kayaks. I only just got a band saw and started framing out my wall with French cleats. But that whole thing is now delayed too. The area I had planned for 4 months is a little bit smaller than a typical one car garage, and it was going to work.
Now- we can look for a three stall and convert one, or look for a basement area or even shed or outbuilding to for out.
We’ll see

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back