OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mini tank was dropped off at the church tonight. Hopefully lighting wont be to bad but will probably need to move for service.
1000000398.jpg

The church is doing a diving theme for VBS this week so thought it would be nice for the kids to see. I didn't take a picture of all the stuff but there was scuba gear, surfboard, old air pumps etc.

On a side note while the small tank was at the house, I really liked the sandy look. Sand has been something I always struggled with. I decided it's time to challenge myself and add a small layer. Hopefully it doesn't cause issues. If I notice a decline in corals I'll remove. But I want to conquer this.

Lights are going out but was able to grab a pick before the corals closed up.
1000000401.jpg

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully you can skip the ugly phase as you already have that frogspawn large rock base that’s already been cycling.
Ugly phase already started but manageable. Been running for over 3 months now. Got 5 hermits and seem to be doing the job. I will need to look at sand stirrers. Starfish wouldn't have enough, strawberry conch possibly but may need more supplemental. Nesarious snails possibly but would like more unique. Sand sifter goby wouldn't be bad but most are to large. cucumber would starve in this size tank lol. Nassys look like possibly the winner so far.

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is now over 4 months old. The hermits did a great job cleaning the tank.

I will post a current picture today of the tank when I get home but here is one from June 13th
1000000461.jpg

But it has been a crazy week due to an emergency situation. We believe it was resolved but not 100 percent sure if it was what we thought. followed by another scare yesterday. My vacation time for work needed to be extended and so now it feels as though it was not really a vacation lol.

The kids at VBS really enjoyed the tank and corals and such were returned safely.

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a single Babylonian (tiger nassarious) snail and a single limpet today. The 5 hermits did a great job with the rocks but glass and sand need a bit of care to if I'm keeping sand.

4 month plus tank shot.
1000000497.jpg

nano7g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is now over 4 months old. The hermits did a great job cleaning the tank.

I will post a current picture today of the tank when I get home but here is one from June 13th
1000000461.jpg

But it has been a crazy week due to an emergency situation. We believe it was resolved but not 100 percent sure if it was what we thought. followed by another scare yesterday. My vacation time for work needed to be extended and so now it feels as though it was not really a vacation lol.

The kids at VBS really enjoyed the tank and corals and such were returned safely.
Hope everything is okay now. Also, that gorgonian in the background is amazing.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a single Babylonian (tiger nassarious) snail and a single limpet today. The 5 hermits did a great job with the rocks but glass and sand need a bit of care to if I'm keeping sand.

4 month plus tank shot.
1000000497.jpg
Tank is looking great!

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000000549.jpg

We had the hard decision today of euthenizing another young pup so early. We are beside ourselves. She had a perforation in her digestive system somewhere that had leaked bacteria and she was in septic shock. Surgery was less than 50 percent success and she would still have a fight on her hands. Lots of prayer needed at this time

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000000549.jpg

We had the hard decision today of euthenizing another young pup so early. We are beside ourselves. She had a perforation in her digestive system somewhere that had leaked bacteria and she was in septic shock. Surgery was less than 50 percent success and she would still have a fight on her hands. Lots of prayer needed at this time
So sorry about your loss. It is never easy losing a pet that you have grown to love.

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry about your loss. It is never easy losing a pet that you have grown to love.
Thank you. It is really hard on both of us. Still unsure how her sister is going to do when she is finally by herself. At my folks today. This week wife goes in later so she will be alone for about 4 or 5 hours roughly.

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a very hard 2 weeks for us so far. I have finally been able to get things done around the house though that was pushed off because of Maple Bacon's knee surgery recovery.

The tank is still doing well. I will try and get a better picture as it approaches the 5 month mark. I have add 3 small nessarrious snails as tiger was to large.

UNS_Parker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. I know the toll that these things can have.

Your tank is a really interesting take on the traditional pico. Definitely keep us updated as it ages and hope you're doing well.

OP
OP
Ben's Pico Reefing

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. I know the toll that these things can have.

Your tank is a really interesting take on the traditional pico. Definitely keep us updated as it ages and hope you're doing well.
Thank you, we are just putting faith in God and what his will is to get us through.

I'll have a new pic today hopefully. Not much difference from last lol. Will be going ahead and eventually add an MP10 as well since I want more disruption in the sand.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back