New to R2R needs some encouragement

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No we don’t have cleaning people other than ourselves and we don’t believe in sprays because we fear it could harm our dogs the most I use is pinesol to mop the floors but nothing aerosol and I only use fresh ro water in a spray bottle to clean the glass with I have a skimmer and thought of maybe hooking one of my air pump lines to the skimmer directly I even placed the air pump outside of the stand to try and pick up more fresh air. I open the French doors in my office for a few hours a day on the weekends when we are home but sometimes it just gets too hot and humid in the house and my ac runs like crazy. I will have to pay more attention to maybe even the candles we light in the house? Would this cause a problem also? Thank you very much for you feed back it’s much appreciated!
No problem. You know candles are something I’ve wanted to look into. My sister in law gets sick breathing in lit fragrances from candles. My wife lights them every once in a while. It sounds like you’re on top of this. Another quick thought while I was reading your post was. Toxins from any soft corals in your tank. Fresh Carbon is a constant in my tank. Zoas, one Leather, Ricordeas. Toxins can’t be seen or tested for. Gotta protect those acros!

OP
OP
lowandslowjoe

lowandslowjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. You know candles are something I’ve wanted to look into. My sister in law gets sick breathing in lit fragrances from candles. My wife lights them every once in a while. It sounds like you’re on top of this. Another quick thought while I was reading your post was. Toxins from any soft corals in your tank. Fresh Carbon is a constant in my tank. Zoas, one Leather, Ricordeas. Toxins can’t be seen or tested for. Gotta protect those acros!
Funny you mention this a lightbulb just went off in my head and maybe together we have just solved the issue my wife put an anemone in my display from one of our other systems and it split instantly there’s still one piece on the rock but the other one is MIA which leads me to think that my diamond goby buried it in the sand bed and I cannot find it so that would definitely be because of my pH dropping in water chemistry having something funky in it…

Last edited:

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you mention this a lightbulb just went off in my head and maybe together we have just solved the issue my wife put an anemone in my display from one of our other systems and it split instantly there’s still one piece on the rock but the other one is MIA which leads me to think that my diamond goby buried it in the sand bed and I cannot find it so that would definitely be because of my pH dropping in water chemistry having something funky in it…
Presently have a Diamond Goby. Love him. A few years back I had a Yellowheaded Sleeper Goby. It would get a mouth full of sand and like Tinkerbell dropped fairy dust all over Cinerellas castle (aka) all my corals. It took me 3 days to trap him. Never again! But yes a dead or dying anemone in a tank is bad news. Again, word of the day: Carbon.

OP
OP
lowandslowjoe

lowandslowjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Presently have a Diamond Goby. Love him. A few years back I had a Yellowheaded Sleeper Goby. It would get a mouth full of sand and like Tinkerbell dropped fairy dust all over Cinerellas castle (aka) all my corals. It took me 3 days to trap him. Never again! But yes a dead or dying anemone in a tank is bad news. Again, word of the day: Carbon.
Do you think a chemi pure bag with activated carbon would do?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a chemi pure bag with activated carbon would do?
Chemi Pure Blue is my carbon of choice. For many, many years. I have 2 bags in my sump now. Besides keeping my water clear, it decreases phos and nitrates. I believe it also keeps Ph stable. I change them out every 8 to 12 weeks. Short answer, yes.

OP
OP
lowandslowjoe

lowandslowjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemi Pure Blue is my carbon of choice. For many, many years. I have 2 bags in my sump now. Besides keeping my water clear, it decreases phos and nitrates. I believe it also keeps Ph stable. I change them out every 8 to 12 weeks. Short answer, yes.
I have used them since I started reef keeping but currently I switched it out for some phosguard because they were out of chemi pure at the time

MDAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second and third Chemical Pure, also have you thought about a CO2 scrubber if you keep things clammed up? And welcome to the site!

WELCOME.gif

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back